By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More details on Mass Effect 3's Kinect usage

Tagged games:

Rainbird said:
r505Matt said:
Rainbird said:
r505Matt said:
This could be cool, but I'm still not willing to get Kinect yet. This is a good first step though. I like the concept of adding to a game with Kinect and not trying to control the entire thing with Kinect alone.

I'll tell you about when ME3 comes out, if I have voice commands by then. I'm getting Kinect later this year, that I'm quite certain of.

Psh, you know I'll be playing GW2 by then and never logging onto this site. =)

I have to make an exception for Mass Effect 3 though, sorry. But I'll be gone from GW2 like a weekend at the most, if it's even out by then.

Yeah, I hear you. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed are probably the only 2 console franchises that can/will tear me away from GW2 for a bit. 

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
dahuman said:

I think it's dumb that they make it seem like it's only possible on kinect when they can do that on all platforms. Actually, it'd be a piece of cake for them to make it so you can enable voice commands with the 360 headset, PS3 mic inputs, and on PC. This is just really dumb.

I think the reason they're only doing it for Kinect is because it's so well supported. Microsoft have probably already built the software needed which should make it much easier to build. Kinect has also been optimized for taking commands, there's an array of microphones in there after all. So I'm guessing the reason it's happening so much on Kinect is because it's easy and also very stable. Players with different microphones could have completely different experiences for example.

But everyone with an Xbox has a microphone, why not let us use it!!! End War was so awesome for that reason (End War with Kinect might be interesting) and has clearly shown voice commands can work fine

dahuman said:

I think it's dumb that they make it seem like it's only possible on kinect when they can do that on all platforms. Actually, it'd be a piece of cake for them to make it so you can enable voice commands with the 360 headset, PS3 mic inputs, and on PC. This is just really dumb.

Unless you are able to use multiple languages for commands, which Kinect supports and PC headset doesnt...

Munkeh111 said:
Rainbird said:
dahuman said:

I think the reason they're only doing it for Kinect is because it's so well supported. Microsoft have probably already built the software needed which should make it much easier to build. Kinect has also been optimized for taking commands, there's an array of microphones in there after all. So I'm guessing the reason it's happening so much on Kinect is because it's easy and also very stable. Players with different microphones could have completely different experiences for example.

But everyone with an Xbox has a microphone, why not let us use it!!! End War was so awesome for that reason (End War with Kinect might be interesting) and has clearly shown voice commands can work fine

Microsoft is trying to hide the technology with Kinect, which is likely one reason. All the software I mentioned has also only been made for Kinect most likely. And I would wager that the microphones in Kinect are better than the ones in the headset.

I can see where people are coming from when they talk about how this could be done with mics etc but like Rainbird points out the fact is the software is already there for this with Kinect so devs will not have to spend time making there own its just easy to add with kinect.
I thought this idear was great I was kind of supprised at the negavtive remarks I have read on here. I love the idear that having this support will make game play very smooth no stop start with the battles as you pull up the hud wheel(unless you want to)
The fact that you can change weapons, ammo and use your powers or powers of others without once stoping the game(again unless u want to stop and think for a sec about tactics etc) seems like it would make the game more imersive.
Just my opinion.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
dahuman said:

This is not 10 years ago where this kind of tech was still not as reliable, accuracy issue can be solved by doing simple calibrations with a few spoken sentences these days. There is no optimization of any kind, it's just a software driven piece like any other.

disolitude said:
dahuman said:

Unless you are able to use multiple languages for commands, which Kinect supports and PC headset doesnt...

funny cause i was doing that with chinese just the other day on pc. all it takes are the right libaries. you should know better than that since you are a pc gamer.

celticlonewolf said:
I can see where people are coming from when they talk about how this could be done with mics etc but like Rainbird points out the fact is the software is already there for this with Kinect so devs will not have to spend time making there own its just easy to add with kinect.
I thought this idear was great I was kind of supprised at the negavtive remarks I have read on here. I love the idear that having this support will make game play very smooth no stop start with the battles as you pull up the hud wheel(unless you want to)
The fact that you can change weapons, ammo and use your powers or powers of others without once stoping the game(again unless u want to stop and think for a sec about tactics etc) seems like it would make the game more imersive.
Just my opinion.

you know what the problem is? is that it feels tacked on and cheap, if they added more features exlusive to kinect, for example, take a picture of your face then using that as a base as your sheperd's face or something like that along with voice commands and maybe some other little ideas to make it seem like this really is cool to have a 150 dollar device for. Then maybe I wouldn't be negative about it. I think it's half assed.

If it's just voice commands (as it should be for something like Mass Effect), couldn't this feature be enabled on both PS3 (with the PS Eye) and PC (with any microphone)? It sounds like an intriguing feature.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think I'll press a button rather than shout at my tv. So this is Kinect for the core, why am I not surprised.