By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Discs Will Be 25GB In Size

This may be fine now....but by 2018 I think even 25GB may not be enough.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
wow @ the 8gb of storage -_-. Not for me thats for sure.

So buy a 2 TB HDD for $50 when it launches.

Thats a waste of money when they could just put it in and charge the same ammount themselves. The more news that keeps coming out about the wiiu, the less i am intised to buy it.

Oh please. You were never 'enticed' by it in the first place.

Maybe i would be if they're presentation was better and they released more concrete information.

Khuutra said:
Linkasf said:
MrT-Tar said:
25GB will be more than enough.

Hell, I can even only think of 3 Wii games that come on dual-layer DVDs (SSBB, Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime Trilogy, TLS might do but I'm not sure)

i'm not sure if you're taking into account on the graphical leap which will cause these games to take space. Not to mention if they will use uncompressed sound, textures, etc... I wonder. I hope that the space will be utilized to make longer games as well as this gen is full of 8 hour games.

The Witcher 2 with multiple language packs is like 14GB. I think 25 will be enough for the majority of applications.

I wonder if this disc format can be put in dual-layer or not.

We'll see, I'll bet it's an alteration of the blu ray laser though, so they don't need to pay royalty and can keep increasing the size if they need to.

dahuman said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Thats a waste of money when they could just put it in and charge the same ammount themselves. The more news that keeps coming out about the wiiu, the less i am intised to buy it.

You are shitting me right? USB HDD is cheap as shit these days, and Nintendo is doing us a favor by not releasing like 2-3 SKUs at once to rip people off, how can you bitch about that? What do you think I did when I got my PS3? I tossed a 500GB HDD right in there that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, that's one reason I like the PS3 better than the 360 as well. The casual won't need that space right away, and those of us who know better will have a drive just laying around already.

Its true, its really easy for me to get space. Im not saying i wont buy the wiiU because of this, i am saying though that they can easy just have 1 sku with 120gb. And charge the same ammount that they were if it has 8gb. Its like you said, its super cheap.

Khuutra said:
Linkasf said:
MrT-Tar said:
25GB will be more than enough.

Hell, I can even only think of 3 Wii games that come on dual-layer DVDs (SSBB, Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime Trilogy, TLS might do but I'm not sure)

i'm not sure if you're taking into account on the graphical leap which will cause these games to take space. Not to mention if they will use uncompressed sound, textures, etc... I wonder. I hope that the space will be utilized to make longer games as well as this gen is full of 8 hour games.

The Witcher 2 with multiple language packs is like 14GB. I think 25 will be enough for the majority of applications.

I wonder if this disc format can be put in dual-layer or not.

I agree, 25gb for a disk is perfect.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
dahuman said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You are shitting me right? USB HDD is cheap as shit these days, and Nintendo is doing us a favor by not releasing like 2-3 SKUs at once to rip people off, how can you bitch about that? What do you think I did when I got my PS3? I tossed a 500GB HDD right in there that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, that's one reason I like the PS3 better than the 360 as well. The casual won't need that space right away, and those of us who know better will have a drive just laying around already.

Its true, its really easy for me to get space. Im not saying i wont buy the wiiU because of this, i am saying though that they can easy just have 1 sku with 120gb. And charge the same ammount that they were if it has 8gb. Its like you said, its super cheap.

They want to make it even cheaper, that's how they won with the Wii in the first place right? The point is, they know the PS3 and 360 will be priced super competitively after 5-6 years of them being out already, so they need to fight the price war right at the start. They are no fools, they are targetting people who already have a 360 or PS3 as well, if it's too expensive, then it's gg Nintendo.

I'm not even halfway to filling my 80GB PS3 after two years of bulky game updates, and downloadable purchases. 8GB will be fine to start off with then I can cheaply update to a ridiculously massive amount somewhere down the line.

VGChartz

Curious: how much did FF XIII use up?

JTurner82 said:
Curious: how much did FF XIII use up?

According to this site, 18.3 GB on the 360 and 38 GB on the PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

radiantshadow92 said:
dahuman said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Youa are confusing HDD's with flash memory.  8 GB's of flash memory (far faster than a HDD) would cost Nintendo about $5.  But 128 GB's would easily cost another $75.  An internal 128 GB HDD is rarely manufactured anymore and because of that would cost almost as much as the flash memory.   The prefect balance is to offer a starting point that is both very fast and large enough to gain an apprciation for just how much space you think you'll need.  Then you can purchase at your leisure the capacity that will suit you best.

Go take a look at HDD and flash memory price structure today.   You'll see why it makes more sense to handle it this way.

The rEVOLution is not being televised