By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Discs Will Be 25GB In Size

wow @ the 8gb of storage -_-. Not for me thats for sure.

Around the Network

Well at least they got that taken care of... I was worried they'd stick with dual layered DVDs or something.

As for the internal storage, while the rumored 8GB of flash memory might seem small, I presume this will be used mainly for the built-in software / firmware included in the system. Hopefully Nintendo also alots a portion of it to loading data for the current game you are playing, as well as making the read speeds of the discs fast and providing the system with an ample amount of RAM to allow for for faster loading times and eliminating the need to install all or portions of a game directly onto the console like certain PS3 games require, or optional on the 360 to reduce wear and tear on the disc drive so it doesn't sound like your system is going to take off.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

radiantshadow92 said:

So buy a 2 TB HDD for $50 when it launches.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

NJ5 said:
pariz said:
NJ5 said:
pariz said:
I was hoping the console to play blu rays. I know that's Sony's business and this way they'll make some extra profit out of each disc (Nintendo)... but this storage media is what seems to put Nintendo in a worst competent position every generation out there since SNES.

The Wii's storage did not limit the kind of games possible on it, it uses DVD like the 360...

I'm pretty certain that 25 GB won't limit the kind of games possible on the Wii U either.

We all know that. But we also know that Wii does not play regular DVDs and that puts the console in a disadvantage.
What I was trying to point out is that they always play it their way, for good or for worse.

That's true, but Nintendo is a company which saves money when it can. Games and gaming platforms is all they make, so they have to be profitable on those things even if they're forced to cut prices early. Cutting out DVD / Blu-Ray-playing royalties is absolutely the easiest way for them to decrease their costs.

Also, unlike Sony or Microsoft, they don't get any money from Blu-Ray royalties, so it's a pure money sink for them. I guess their thinking is "if Blu-Ray really takes off, everyone will have a few Blu-Ray players at home in a few years, so what's the point?".

That's not to say Blu-Ray playing on the Wii U is impossible... it's just unlikely unless Nintendo changes strategy and wants to make their consoles also about media.

Well, I know I'm not talking for everyone, but after enjoying the multimedia capabilities of my PS3 and after realizing of the potential the Wii U controller has, I would love my next Nintendo console to have them all.

Nintendo has used Matsushita for every optical disc drive in their gaming consoles. Matsushita has been making blue laser diodes since 2001. I feel pretty confident that Nintendo is utilizing a Matsushita blue laser based optical medium. It will not be Blu-ray spec and therefore have no Blu-ray playback capabilities.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Thats a waste of money when they could just put it in and charge the same ammount themselves. The more news that keeps coming out about the wiiu, the less i am intised to buy it.

radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Thats a waste of money when they could just put it in and charge the same ammount themselves. The more news that keeps coming out about the wiiu, the less i am intised to buy it.

Oh please. You were never 'enticed' by it in the first place.

This means nothing for me... Storage medium size that is. Never did, never will.

radiantshadow92 said:
Viper1 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You are shitting me right? USB HDD is cheap as shit these days, and Nintendo is doing us a favor by not releasing like 2-3 SKUs at once to rip people off, how can you bitch about that? What do you think I did when I got my PS3? I tossed a 500GB HDD right in there that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, that's one reason I like the PS3 better than the 360 as well. The casual won't need that space right away, and those of us who know better will have a drive just laying around already.

Linkasf said:
MrT-Tar said:
25GB will be more than enough.

Hell, I can even only think of 3 Wii games that come on dual-layer DVDs (SSBB, Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime Trilogy, TLS might do but I'm not sure)

i'm not sure if you're taking into account on the graphical leap which will cause these games to take space. Not to mention if they will use uncompressed sound, textures, etc... I wonder. I hope that the space will be utilized to make longer games as well as this gen is full of 8 hour games.

The Witcher 2 with multiple language packs is like 14GB. I think 25 will be enough for the majority of applications.

I wonder if this disc format can be put in dual-layer or not.