By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Expect at Least a 60% Drop in NA Software sales next Week

This is my first year, like most of you, following software sales. Everyweek I look back at last year to get an Idea of what will happen this year. Lat year the week of Christmas saw a 66% percent drop or so. However this year we had 1 extra day before Christmas in the Charts. The 23rd was not counted in last years week of Christmas sale, but it will be this year. Offsetting this will be the fact that that Wii Sport is going to have an incredible dropoff, from 750k to probably less than 150k(I have not heard of ANYSTORES getting stock).

What does this mean?

Well I would assume that SMG will drop more than the average of the rest of the games, only because it was so high to begin with. The Huge Wii sales last week pulled SMG up with it. I would be VERY happy if it Managed to sell 120k. I am thinking most likely 90-100. COD4 and AC will have major drops, but I do not feel they will drop as high a % as SMG the both will do between 70-80k, maybe 60k on the low side. I think WiiPlay will sell great because I think families that bought Wii are gonna realise they need more contollers. 

I think we will see this week which games will have legs and which ones won't. If a games has over an 80% drop... chop its legs off, it aint going far. I am also curious to see if RE4's legs can survive Christmas, or maybe the holiday rush led to a burnout.

Games to watch out for.

UC, R&C:ToD, Uncharted, MP8, SMG, AC, COD4, M&S.   I think this week will point out which games go on to sell Millions upon Millions and which games will keep their goods sale they have already had(or in Uncharted and R&C's case should have had)

One last point. There are a lot of kids who got a Wii, and money from their grandma and whoever, this will help sales for Wii more than the other two. I believe do to the core nature of the other consoles that gamers made sure they got the games they wanted(you know the trick, out the two games you want on your list and nothing else : ), always worked for me back in the day)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

PS3 has 5 not 4 million sellers, pro evolution soccer is a million seller..

Anyhow, to get on topic

These are my expectations for sales:

wii: 600k

ps3:400k

X360: 350k

mM

Why do you feel the PS3 will sell more during boxing week Leo?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

when did I ever mention anything about PS3 million sellers?

psn- tokila

Others:200k
Japan: 80k
America: 120k

for ps3, which is about 400k, sales should drop of by 230k

mM
Around the Network

only a 40% drop in others for PS3? try 60% drop. it sells 160k in Others, and that is doing well.

psn- tokila

@ND

What if it does sell 200k+?

Then what? Your predictions has many flaws, we dont know how many ps3 will sell at OTHERS in january because its never been out january.

mM

Shut up leo-j.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I dont know. My anecdotal evidence is oposite of yours.

I went to game stores on the 26th and 28th. It was crazy! So many people!

BB was selling alright on the 26th with very few games sold out. I came back on the 28th and half the PSP software section was sold out! SMG, MP8, and M&S were all gone. CoD4 and Reaistance were both sold out for PS3. People were buying hardware. Saw two people get PS3s in my 20 minutes there. Both were 40gb. Its funny, I asked if knew about BC and they both said a cheaper price was more important.

A few other games were low on stock, but the surprising was that they got a shipment of Wiis that morning. I walked in and there was about 40 and when I walked there was about 25 or so. It was sad though for people trying to buy some terrible games. People were getting SC:L. : (

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I dunno, something to remember is that last year, Wii's were stockpiled beforehand because that was it's initial launch day. So there was a massive selling rate, then stock ran out and it was purely a "units sold that month = units produced that month." I think the dropoff will actually be far less in Jan 08 than it was in Jan 07, especially with in NA where gamestop was doing those "guarantee a Wii" promotions for the holidays.
of course, that's only provided that the vouchers sold are counted as units sold. In which case they wouldn't be counted in january, but in december, which would mean that teh dropoff would be even greater that typical.

it could go either way, but personally, I think that Wii will maintain better than 50% of its sales from the holidays.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her