By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VIta: $249 for Wi-fi, $299 for 3G - Global 2011 Release

greenmedic88 said:
tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
IamAwsome said:
Either the PSV's tech is oder then we thought, or Sony is selling this at a huge loss.

Neither. A lot of people just overestimated the BOM on the devices without actually sourcing comparable parts. 

Not made out of melted down gold bricks. Entry model probably has a BOM of about $200 and I'm willing to wait for iSuppli to do their breakdown for confirmation. 

BoM is not all that's involved in an item's cost to produce.  Assembly and shipping also play an important role.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now for another obvious statement; the BOM determines profitablity or loss of virtually every electronic device not subsidized by carrier services.

You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this, so let's not try to change the standards by which the price of production linked to the MSRP is linked to profit/loss per unit. 

And as for assembly costs, which may be little less known than BOM although they shouldn't since they are typically listed with services such as iSuppli; they typically add less than $10 to the individual cost of each unit for a device such as the Vita, iPhone, iPad, etc. 

Just pointing out another issue with the way "analysts" try to guess at the profitability of these machines.  Do we count quality check? Operating costs of the plant?  Not to mention we have no idea what kind of contract was reached between Sony and its suppliers.  There are so many variables that are fudged or unknown that these guesses are practically useless in anything more than profitable or not profitable, and in cases where its this close, you really can't say.

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:
I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year.
Sony is no Nintendo, they cant survive on their IPs alone.
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble.

It's just you and probably the same familiar faces that would just as soon like to see SCE exit the gaming business.

SCE has always been heavily invested in 2nd party studios working on current and new SCE owned IPs for their platforms, and 3rd party support has literally never been in question. 

Support for the Vita looks to be as strong if not stronger than that of the 3DS, not that this is even where the future of handheld gaming is heading. Nobody's mentioned Android support for Playstation games, but that along with about a million other clues is indicative of where the industry is really heading. 

Big Win for Sony

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

cyberninja45 said:

I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year.
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble.

well maybe we'll see more on the showfloor hopefully

Don't worry... About a thing... 'Cause every little thing... Is gonna be alright.

There is Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show. hose are 2 huge events, and Sony loves to show off at Gamescom. Games will be announced before, during and after those shows.

Raider84 said:
cyberninja45 said:

Did you even watch the conference???? Over 80 titles are in development right now... How many of those do you think are being developed by Sony? 6 maybe 7? That leaves 73 3rd party games.... Which is an insane amount. Again, I'm pretty sure you didn't watch the conference. The only explanation. 

thats the thing am worried that these" developing" games are just ps3 games like sfXtekken. Maybe well see whats the case on the showfloor.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

Very good pricing Sony!

Smart of them to price Vita competitively. Spot on!

I shall buy the Wi Fi version and in the US.

Perfect price point for me.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
IamAwsome said:
Either the PSV's tech is oder then we thought, or Sony is selling this at a huge loss.

Neither. A lot of people just overestimated the BOM on the devices without actually sourcing comparable parts. 

Not made out of melted down gold bricks. Entry model probably has a BOM of about $200 and I'm willing to wait for iSuppli to do their breakdown for confirmation. 

BoM is not all that's involved in an item's cost to produce.  Assembly and shipping also play an important role.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now for another obvious statement; the BOM determines profitablity or loss of virtually every electronic device not subsidized by carrier services.

You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this, so let's not try to change the standards by which the price of production linked to the MSRP is linked to profit/loss per unit. 

And as for assembly costs, which may be little less known than BOM although they shouldn't since they are typically listed with services such as iSuppli; they typically add less than $10 to the individual cost of each unit for a device such as the Vita, iPhone, iPad, etc. 

Just pointing out another issue with the way "analysts" try to guess at the profitability of these machines.  Do we count quality check? Operating costs of the plant?  Not to mention we have no idea what kind of contract was reached between Sony and its suppliers.  There are so many variables that are fudged or unknown that these guesses are practically useless in anything more than profitable or not profitable, and in cases where its this close, you really can't say.

As far as determining BOM breakdowns on devices go, it has little to nothing to do with the "analysts" you seem to be indirectly questioning.

The breakdowns are done by engineers familiar with all the components that go into building said devices down to individual chips by make and model.  

So if iSuppli gives an estimate of $103.25 on the Nintendo 3DS for example, it's a pretty sure bet that they're not off by any significant amount. They've been doing this for awhile and the breakdowns go further on a component to component basis down to part type, supplier, manufacturer, origin of manufacturing, etc.

FYI: the manufacturing cost on the 3DS is an estimated bank breaking $2.54.

ElGranCabeza said:
Lack of 3rd party titles should have Sony fans worried.....

With your sig/prediction, I don't think I will ever be able to take any of your posts seriously.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

Hey guys, are we all gamers here? Sony are devoted to gaming, its quite obvious, hating them does no good to anyone. Even if you dont encourage them, they are still forcing your favorites video game companies to develop more software and to lower the price of their hardware.

Also, how the interactivity between the PS3 and Vita can be seen negatively baffles me. We already know Vita will be getting its own games, and to that, Sony already stated it was very easy to port PS3 title to it. Everyone gains from this, users, developers and Sony.