By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VIta: $249 for Wi-fi, $299 for 3G - Global 2011 Release

steverhcp02 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
steverhcp02 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Lack of 3rd party titles should have Sony fans worried.....

You mean like COD and Bioshock? Lack of good reasons to bring down a solid conference seems like it has you worried....for some reason.

don't forget a brand new Silen Hills game, sfvs tekken with cole AND Tenchu! and they didn't even bother mentioning the obvious FIFA and other games for the device

Ahhh, forgot about silent hill. Im very impressed with the fluidity of the touch screen with dual analogues. Im totally won over with the price and functionality. I wont use it for social use like they will try to push so that $249 model is perfect for me, but if the future is me playing games on my Vita and carrying over at home im excited about the future of gaming.

Just when i thought i was going to splurge and buy an iPad, PSTV and PSVita, doh!

yeah and kojima hinted about ZOE PSV too tho it most prob will be a port .. and we know epic and so many other companies are making games for it too..GC and TGS will have a lot to show for SOny :D

controls look flawless, graphics look breath taking, gameplay mechanic potential is crazy and perfect price range

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:

Lack of 3rd party?  Where were you at the previous Vita conference and this E3?  COD, exclusive Bioshock, SFxTekken, Silent Hill.  Sony said there are over 80 titles in development.  You don't think they are making 76 of those, do you? 

If anyone has to worry, it may be you with your sig prediction. 

tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
IamAwsome said:
Either the PSV's tech is oder then we thought, or Sony is selling this at a huge loss.

Neither. A lot of people just overestimated the BOM on the devices without actually sourcing comparable parts. 

Not made out of melted down gold bricks. Entry model probably has a BOM of about $200 and I'm willing to wait for iSuppli to do their breakdown for confirmation. 

BoM is not all that's involved in an item's cost to produce.  Assembly and shipping also play an important role.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now for another obvious statement; the BOM determines profitablity or loss of virtually every electronic device not subsidized by carrier services.

You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this, so let's not try to change the standards by which the price of production linked to the MSRP is linked to profit/loss per unit. 

And as for assembly costs, which may be little less known than BOM although they shouldn't since they are typically listed with services such as iSuppli; they typically add less than $10 to the individual cost of each unit for a device such as the Vita, iPhone, iPad, etc. 

M.U.G.E.N said:
greenmedic88 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
greenmedic88 said:
IamAwsome said:
Either the PSV's tech is oder then we thought, or Sony is selling this at a huge loss.

Neither. A lot of people just overestimated the BOM on the devices without actually sourcing comparable parts. 

Not made out of melted down gold bricks. Entry model probably has a BOM of about $200 and I'm willing to wait for iSuppli to do their breakdown for confirmation. 

Agreed. I think people dont realize how much of a ripoff the 3ds actually is. Sony will probably bringing in maybe a $5-$10 profit on PSV while nintendo is clearly bringing in at least $70 on 3ds.

I would hope everyone knows the BOM on the 3DS is just over $100. It's not exactly confidential information anymore than the BOM of virtually any consumer electronic device these days.

Nintendo is making a fair bit more than $70 per unit currently. SCE will be lucky to break even after factoring in all costs associated from BOM to packaging, shipping and retail cut. What they won't be doing however is taking a $200-300 bath on each unit like some have been stating and will continue to claim until iSuppli estimates end the debate. 

when do you reckon those estimates will be in by? I'm clueless about the subject :D

Just check with iSuppi; they'll have a breakdown of costs as soon as they have a unit in hand for analysis, whenever that may happen. 

This could be very bad for nintento, they better stop being so secretive about their projects and announce some big titles for their machine, and also a little price cut ( to $199) could be really good.

The PSV looks really good, and for that price, it´s a no brainer....too bad that instead of money i have lots of bills to pay haha.

wii fc : 7188 5379 1382 7074
smash fc :2234 6924 8637

gamertag : Dano2688

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
Seriously people need to stop buying the 3ds now, Wait for a price cut. The conference was amazing. Infamous 2 trailer was extra amazing =]

It's not exactly as though people have been jumping over each other to buy the 3DS given the initial "new hardware" effect is over and it's currently selling on the basis of the same soft line up.

I don't think I've seen them sold out anywhere, which is not a bad thing; if anything it just demonstrates that Nintendo has learned from its mistakes with the Wii.

But yes, I think buying a 3DS this week before Nintendo's conference would be ill advised. Even if they don't announce a price drop (unprecedented this early in a game device's life cycle) this week, I would be surprised to the point of being troubled if they didn't offer a price drop for the holidays or at the very least some pretty compelling and heavy bundle packages at the same $249 MSRP. 

I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year.
Sony is no Nintendo, they cant survive on their IPs alone.
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble.

well maybe we'll see more on the showfloor hopefully

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:
I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year.
Sony is no Nintendo, they cant survive on their IPs alone.
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble.

Did you even watch the conference???? Over 80 titles are in development right now... How many of those do you think are being developed by Sony? 6 maybe 7? That leaves 73 3rd party games.... Which is an insane amount. Again, I'm pretty sure you didn't watch the conference. The only explanation. 

EDIT: Crap, this is a replay to that wfz guy about our Vita point of view.

Well for starters, the launch games for Vita look  better than what the 3DS has. The Vita has more features than the 3DS, for the same price. They got 2 cameras, 2 touch screens/pads, two analog sticks and motion sensor, which i will admit, some do seem unnecessary but I'll wait and see. Vita is a much more technically advance machine. To me, it seems like the only thing missing on it is 3D, which hasn't exactly worked for the 3DS and Nintendo. Basically, for the same price, Vita has more to give than the 3DS. I don't think the 3DS is doomed as most people claim but their games are gonna have to be mind blowing if they wanna compete. Then again, the Vita could be terrible as well for all we know, but it's much more promising. And besides, how can you say Uncharted looked hollow, have you seen the 3DS line-up. THAT is hollow...and shitty.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

ElGranCabeza said: