By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your accent?

http://vocaroo.com/

This will make this thread much more interesting. Get on it.

Around the Network

I've been told by an american that I sounded "just like" Count Dracula from Sesame Street.
Which is fitting since I live in Transilvania :).

Kiwi. Although I have to say it's not really an accent, that's one of those things everybody not from New Zealand has.

Kantor said:
You know, I'm not actually sure. When I talk, I think I have a reasonably posh British accent, and other people generally seem to agree on that, but if I listen to a recording of myself (I hate doing that) it just sounds really weird, so I don't know.

Where in Britain are you? I've been told I have a posh accent at first but that's only because i live in the north and am from the south (Nottingham people don't like being called Nrotherners :P ) but once people listen to my accent properly they realise it's not posh... just southern.

Hmm, pie.

A cross between a Russian and British accent... think fancy but awkward :P

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Kantor said:
You know, I'm not actually sure. When I talk, I think I have a reasonably posh British accent, and other people generally seem to agree on that, but if I listen to a recording of myself (I hate doing that) it just sounds really weird, so I don't know.

Where in Britain are you? I've been told I have a posh accent at first but that's only because i live in the north and am from the south (Nottingham people don't like being called Nrotherners :P ) but once people listen to my accent properly they realise it's not posh... just southern.

I live in London, where most accents certainly aren't posh

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ghost_of_fazz said:
English wise, I try to mimic the british accent, with not so good results.

Spanish wise, northern mexican, which is a very neutral and clean one.

Heh, if you tell a Spanish person that northern mexican is neutral and clean, he'll be like 'get out!'.

Everyone sees their accent as neutral, it is only others that can tell you that you have an accent.

OP: In English, some weird blend. I'm Spanish but everyone tells me that I don't sound Spanish. I've been told I sound European, but that it is difficult to guess where from. Quite a few people thought I was French but my French friends told me I don't sound French at all. So I don't know...

In Spanish, pretty much the standard Spanish you see in TV and movies from Spain, with less of a Madrid accent. When I go back to my region, the Basque Country, I start having that particular accent again, but not so strong that people will notice immediately.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
English wise, I try to mimic the british accent, with not so good results.

Spanish wise, northern mexican, which is a very neutral and clean one.

Heh, if you tell a Spanish person that northern mexican is neutral and clean, he'll be like 'get out!'.

Everyone sees their accent as neutral, it is only others that can tell you that you have an accent.

OP: In English, some weird blend. I'm Spanish but everyone tells me that I don't sound Spanish. I've been told I sound European, but that it is difficult to guess where from. Quite a few people thought I was French but my French friends told me I don't sound French at all. So I don't know...

In Spanish, pretty much the standard Spanish you see in TV and movies from Spain, with less of a Madrid accent. When I go back to my region, the Basque Country, I start having that particular accent again, but not so strong that people will notice immediately.

Indeed, in Spain the most "neutral" accent you can find would probably be the one in Castilla y León (as long as you don't find someone who speaks Bable), which will be quite diferent to ghost_of_fazz's accent.

I'm also Spanish or Catalan depends on who you talk with and when , and my Spanish accent is catalan, which means different sounds for the letters "L" and "S" among others. Also, when speaking catalan I have accent, the North-Western one, quite different from the one here in Barcelona (Eastern). 

P.D.: Tío, si empiezas a tener acento "cañí" vas a tener problemas

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Kantor said:

People always thinks they sound weird when they listen to themselves!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I have a Minnesotan accent.