By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei Article on Cafe confirms control

That's going to be one huge gamepad then if it has 6" screen in the middle and buttons/d-pads/analogs on sides.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

At this point I'm not sure what to think anymore and I'm just waiting to see what they announce at the E3 conference.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

So it's not a rumour any more? Really interested to see how Nintendo implements the controls and backwards compatibility to the remote+. Handheld to Console communications is something they've been aiming for, it was one of Revolutions features, and very few Wii games use it. So I hope it is more exploited this time.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
So it's not a rumour any more? Really interested to see how Nintendo implements the controls and backwards compatibility to the remote+. Handheld to Console communications is something they've been aiming for, it was one of Revolutions features, and very few Wii games use it. So I hope it is more exploited this time.

Backwards compatibility is not really a problem no matter what controller Cafe uses. Just like the Wii supports Gamecube controllers, Cafe can also support Wiimotes for Wii games.

The real question is what motion control Cafe games will use, if any.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

That`s great news to me!
Having a tablet like controller is what i have been hoping since the rumors started and the news brings me closer to that vision.
All that`s missing is for Nintendo announce you can put memory cards on it to play downloadable VC or CafeWare games, without turning the console on to play them.

If i remember correctly, there was a rumor that said there would also be an updated Wii remote. What if you were given the chance to play the game with one controller or the other? Wouldn`t that satisfy both sides? Of course, the motion controller per se - as i believe the new controller will also have motion control or gyroscope - would lack the extras given to the controller with the screen, but it could be feasible a two way option to play.

About the price, Wii remote + nunchuk, sell for about 60/70 Euros, so a price tag around that value won`t be unreasonable.

Around the Network

With a 6" touchscreen etc. it will sure be expensive. But I'll refrain from commenting untill they show it so we can get a better idea.

One thing though, is that translation correct? It just seems to suggest that the pad will be able to play "games for a tablet device". Does it mean android games will be playable on it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

NJ5 said:
TomaTito said:

Backwards compatibility is not really a problem no matter what controller Cafe uses. Just like the Wii supports Gamecube controllers, Cafe can also support Wiimotes for Wii games.

What I meant was that I have this suspicion that the remote+ will continue to be the motion controls for cafe, since they haven't really pushed the remote+ devices much (maybe will see more software this E3). The new controller would act like a classic controller with it's similar layout to the gamecube. If the control continues in Cafe, consumers would be more inclined to support their last remote+ only releases (I'd sell a normal remote to buy the bundled Wii Play Motion). Still they could just drop it and get a new one or implement it in the new control. 

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
NJ5 said:
TomaTito said:

What I meant was that I have this suspicion that the remote+ will continue to be the motion controls for cafe. The new controller would act like a classic controller with it's similar layout to the gamecube, since they haven't really pushed the remote+ devices much (maybe will see more software this E3). If the control continues in Cafe, consumers would be more inclined to support their last remote+ only releases (I'd sell a normal remote to buy the bundled Wii Play Motion). Still they could just drop it and get a new one or implement it in the new control. 

If they go that route they should include both the new controller and a wiimote plus on the box, thus increasing the price of the console.

Also developers, with they immense wisdom (note sarcasm), will only develop multiplat games with the new controller in mind as that'd make it easily.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mr Khan said:
Phoeniks.Wright said:
Well damn. This sounds crap. Since Nikkei "confirmed" this rumour, I'm going to cautiously assume that picture of the controller was and is going to be rather accurate, the one which looks like a 360 controller with a screen in the middle.
E3 never looked so dire. Especially for Nintendo.

I would find it hard to believe that they would abandon motion controls so handily, so i doubt we'll get exactly what we've seen. It has to be some kind of hybrid

Oh no, I find it incredibely easy to believe that they will abandon motion controls so easily. Just look at the games that they've released so far: how many actually use motion controls in a meaningfull way and not as a gimmick? I count 3 ( wii sports and sports resort, wii play as well ) good games, 1 okay-ish ( wii party ), and 1 terrible ( wii music ). Maybe I could add mario kart here, since it's used as a control method properly as well. That makes 6, of which 5 were released by 2008, 3 years ago.

I can only conclude that they could not give less of a damn about motion controls.

Of course, I'm not talking about something like a sixaxis controller, but that would be one hell of a downgrade.

Phoeniks.Wright said:
Mr Khan said:
Phoeniks.Wright said:
Well damn. This sounds crap. Since Nikkei "confirmed" this rumour, I'm going to cautiously assume that picture of the controller was and is going to be rather accurate, the one which looks like a 360 controller with a screen in the middle.
E3 never looked so dire. Especially for Nintendo.

I would find it hard to believe that they would abandon motion controls so handily, so i doubt we'll get exactly what we've seen. It has to be some kind of hybrid

Oh no, I find it incredibely easy to believe that they will abandon motion controls so easily. Just look at the games that they've released so far: how many actually use motion controls in a meaningfull way and not as a gimmick? I count 3 ( wii sports and sports resort, wii play as well ) good games, 1 okay-ish ( wii party ), and 1 terrible ( wii music ). Maybe I could add mario kart here, since it's used as a control method properly as well. That makes 6, of which 5 were released by 2008, 3 years ago.

I can only conclude that they could not give less of a damn about motion controls.

Of course, I'm not talking about something like a sixaxis controller, but that would be one hell of a downgrade.

Metroid Prime 3 used motion controls and the next Zelda also uses them. In fact you need wm+ to play it. Why would Nintendo use on it with Zelda and then thow it away on their next system?

Oh, and if you add 3rd party games there are some good examples on how to use motion controls, Zack & Wiki being one of them.

Edit.: Damm! The Quote thingy didn't work properly on IE9... a bug?