By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will NGP do PS2

Will NGP do PS2

Yes NGP has the power to do it! 45 66.18%

No they screwed up like PS3 BC. 13 19.12%

See Results. 10 14.71%

Total:68

Just a question which ive not seen come up in the last few weeks gearing up to E3, but do you think that Sony will unveil at E3 that NGP will be bringing PS2 games to the PSN Store.

The NGP has the dual analogue sticks, it has the rear touch panel for L2 and R2, but does it have the grunt to pull it off, where the PS3 failed. 

Discuss.

Around the Network

The rear touch panel could be interesting if implemented correctly. For some reason I could see it working for an FPS if done proberly (as long as it's optional). If I can tether the NGP to my phone's 3G or even 4G, THAT will be the selling point. IF Sony is smart, they will push that feature. I mean thinnk about how many people would eat up the concept of "you're traveling...well imagine being able to play COD XX on the go MULTIPLAYER with you friends!" that would absolutely push sells and I have no doubt in my mind. Of course we will see how well they implement the features. Sony has something big with the NGP if done right. Their first party is really above in terms of what they have put out. While Microsoft is pushing to acquire 1st party studios, and Nintendo putting out Mario part 20, and another Zelda, Sony being last place has actually pushed them in the right direction. Granted all the 3DS needs is pokemon part 50 with the same story and like 1 more feature and it lights up the charts, but we will see what it ends up like. I feel Nintendo needs to get humbled back down in the handhelds so they could do a 180 just like they did in the home console department. Would be nice to see a pikmin, proper Metroid, some new ip, etc.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

no.. the emotion enigine and Graphics Synthesizer are to hard to emulate..

but porting doesn't seem out of the question..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

I dont think there too hard to emulate its been done on PC countless times its just about having a graphics card with enough fill rate i believe, but i know little about the NGPs graphics chip in comparison to what is needed. 

Xenostar said:
NiKKoM said:

I dont think there too hard to emulate its been done on PC countless times its just about having a graphics card with enough fill rate i believe, but i know little about the NGPs graphics chip in comparison to what is needed. 

The NGP isn't more powerful than the PS3, so if the PS3 can't do it, then the NGP will have a hard time with it. I don't know if the architechture of the NGP makes it easier for it to emulate PS2 games though, time will tell on that one.

Around the Network

Just like the PS3, it will only do everything! And "everything" doesn't include PS2, so no.

didn't the PS3 play PS2 games?? well before sony removed it of course.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

PS3 didn't fail to have the grunt. Sony took it out to continue selling PS2's. And it wasn't a cost-cutting measure at all. The Emotion Engine is cheap to make, they just took it off the PS3 mainboard to keep PS2 sales strong. And it is still selling decent. PS2 just had a hardware revision like last year...put the power supply on the console instead of the brick.

NGP is 2 generations away from PS2. I think they will honestly.

Not sure, it shouldn't have any problems with emulating basic RAM or the Emotion Engine(PS2 CPU), though i believe that the GS(PS2 GPU) had a few mega bytes of EDRAM which is what PS3 lacks when trying to emulate the GS. If NGP has atleast 4mb of EDRAM though it should be able to handle the task easily.

Aprisaiden said:

Not sure, it shouldn't have any problems with emulating basic RAM or the Emotion Engine(PS2 CPU), though i believe that the GS(PS2 GPU) had a few mega bytes of EDRAM which is what PS3 lacks when trying to emulate the GS. If NGP has atleast 4mb of EDRAM though it should be able to handle the task easily.

PSP had eDRAM, so I would expect NGP to have it as well.