By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How Well Do You Run The Wticher 2?

I play with 25-30 fps(sometimes 21fps)  on phenom II 940 be 280gtx @ 1920x1080 @ ultra without oversampling.

I ordered a hd6950 only for this game lol.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Interestingly, nVidia cards seem to overperform in the game, while AMD cards seem to underperform based on other benchmarks I've seen for the cards. This isn't that odd though, as generally games are better optimized for nVidia, and less likely to experience graphical bugs and glitches which often occur specifically on ATI/AMD cards. 

I've seen people running similar specs to mine averaging around the same performance and then others with the same who are doing crap. Personally I use my graphic card settings on performance rather then quality. Still looks amazing but I like things stable.

Only problem I encountered with the game is there seems to be some pop-in. Nothing too bad though.

naznatips said:
SvennoJ said:

I7 2.8ghz with GeForce GT 230

I get around 30fps on medium/low 1280x1024, all forms of blur and bloom off, no aa, no SSAO, light shafts on, rest on medium and very near lod.

I've encountered numerous bugs. Game freezing twice. Most sounds disappearing for random intervals just leaving the echo's and environmental effects (no use playing without subtitles) Game not responding to combat inputs anymore, I can still move around but can't use the sword anymore nor put it away. And I'm still on chapter 1.

Ouch. SOunds like the game is not running well with your PC. Seems pretty stable for most people. Are your drivers up to date and did you get the 1.1 patch?

I installed the nvidea 275 beta drivers and uninstalled the 3D vision driver as suggested by CD project, and installed the latest Realtek HD audio drivers plus the 1.1 patch. Last night I didn't have any problems with no new changes to my system. Maybe I had not rebooted enough yet...

Does anyone know a good graphics card that works with a 350w power supply?

SvennoJ said:
naznatips said:
SvennoJ said:

I get around 30fps on medium/low 1280x1024, all forms of blur and bloom off, no aa, no SSAO, light shafts on, rest on medium and very near lod.

I've encountered numerous bugs. Game freezing twice. Most sounds disappearing for random intervals just leaving the echo's and environmental effects (no use playing without subtitles) Game not responding to combat inputs anymore, I can still move around but can't use the sword anymore nor put it away. And I'm still on chapter 1.

Ouch. SOunds like the game is not running well with your PC. Seems pretty stable for most people. Are your drivers up to date and did you get the 1.1 patch?

I installed the nvidea 275 beta drivers and uninstalled the 3D vision driver as suggested by CD project, and installed the latest Realtek HD audio drivers plus the 1.1 patch. Last night I didn't have any problems with no new changes to my system. Maybe I had not rebooted enough yet...

Just buy a new power supply. 350w is very little. Besides, power supplies are really cheap.

550w:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327567&CatId=1079

I wouldn't recommend buying the one above, but that was just an example of how cheap they can get. 

20happyballs said:
SvennoJ said:
naznatips said:
SvennoJ said:

Just buy a new power supply. 350w is very little. Besides, power supplies are really cheap.

550w:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327567&CatId=1079

I wouldn't recommend buying the one above, but that was just an example of how cheap they can get. 

550w is unnecessarily high. Most top-end graphics cards recommend 400w power supplies, and anything above that will do fine. So I suggest something between 400-500 watts, plus a new GPU.

Around the Network

Hey Naz how well will my new laptop run The Witcher 2?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129242&page=1&str=1739378975#

naznatips said:
20happyballs said:
SvennoJ said:
naznatips said:
SvennoJ said:

550w:

550w is unnecessarily high. Most top-end graphics cards recommend 400w power supplies, and anything above that will do fine. So I suggest something between 400-500 watts, plus a new GPU.

Huh. Not really. My HD 5770 requires that I at least have a 500w psu. My card is not even top of the line. 550w is not that high. Have you ever tried using a PSU calculator? It is very hard to make a reasonable build requiring less than 450w.  At the very least, get a 450w psu. 

yo_john117 said:

Your laptop might be able to run the game on medium settings pretty good. But you will have to turn off certian things. Be sure to turn off ubersampling, ssao, and motion blur. It should be very playable if you do that. 

20happyballs said:
yo_john117 said:

Your laptop might be able to run the game on medium settings pretty good. But you will have to turn off certian things. Be sure to turn off ubersampling, ssao, and motion blur. It should be very playable if you do that. 

Thanks i'll make sure I turn those off when I play it.

20happyballs said:
naznatips said:

Huh. Not really. My HD 5770 requires that I at least have a 500w psu. My card is not even top of the line. 550w is not that high. Have you ever tried using a PSU calculator? It is very hard to make a reasonable build requiring less than 450w.  At the very least, get a 450w psu. 

Interesting. Well my GTX 550 Ti, which is a little better than the 5770, only requires 400w. Similarly my CPU only needs 95w. I originally built my most recent computer with a 650w power supply, but found that it was unnecessarily high, and actually downgraded to a quieter 430w without any negative consequences.