By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would you do if the Wii wins this generation?

I think that the majority of people will not buy a ps3, even with such a list of games.

Send me a message if you want to be Wii friends.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:

there seems to be this crazy opinion going around that really makes no sense. People seem to think that if the Wii sells like crazy and the 360/PS3 fail and all third part devs concentrate on the Wii then we'll see nothing but minigame collections and no "epic games".

Let's get serious here, Wii is not turning "hardcore" gamers (I really dislike that term) into casual gamers, but it's bringing in new gamers. What that means is the "hardcore" demographic will still be there and will be just as large as before. As long as the market is there then games will be made for them.

The Wii is more capable than the previous generations of consoles. Are you saying that the Xbox is not capable of "epic games"? The Wii is more capable of gripping, long, "hardcore" games as the original Xbox, which is a very capable machine. Games such as LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War, Too Human, Lair, etc can be played on Wii, with some effort and a graphical hit. Epic games existed before the Xbox360 and PS3 were around so what makes you think they're suddenly impossible now without their power?

So if in the future the Wii wins and no developers support the PS3/360 then you can sit there and whine and shoot yourself in the face all you want. Anyone who likes gaming will go where the games are.

A lot of effort and a huge graphical hit.  I agree that the Wii is more expanding the market than taking it over, though.

Expanding the market is phase one of Nintendo's strategy. The taking over happens later when the install base has been established and third parties can ignore the Wii at the risk of thier very existance.

You're a fool if you truly believe the PR spin by both Microsoft and Sony that the Wii is in an entirely different market than the 360 and the PS3. I don't even think both companies believe it themselves. If they do, well, good luck being in distant second and third place for not being prepared enough.

Remember, hardcores are a significantly small portion of the market, but they do buy a significantly higher number of games more than the casuals. Nintendo makes hardware so they can sell their software. Put two and two together.

NorthStar said:

I do not think the number of exclusives is what i was talking about...it is more about what those Exclusives offer. If you want to ride around an cars with cartoony characters thowing god knows what at each other....or Play a fighting game that those same cartoony Characters beat the crap out of each other..or Play golf with those same Cartoony characters..then yes by all means Nintendo is definitly for you. I see that in the future most people can know what games they want to play. What i see coming from Nintendo does not really appeal to me. That means in no way does it suck it just means its not the system for me right now. For that reason a Higher priced 360 or PS3 is what will cater more to MY liking. I ended up Choosing a PS3 just because I would be kicking my self in the ass in 5 years if I never got the next Metal Gear, God of War or Final Fantasy...I am sure the PS3 is going to have games i like. the 360 will too, but for now I had to choose. But Wii really never crosses my mind as my main system. So really with so few games out for PS3 right now i still play it way more than the Wii (Zelda or Metroid might change that a little)

that's is because i speak of wiimote!!

ps3 and x360 can have good few esclusives...

MGS4,FF13,DM4 ect...

but people get boring of these games...

they need real fresh games...and gameplay...

success of DS is a proof.

and ONLY nintendo can give these games to us...because of touch and because of real 3d pad.(i played motorstorm with 6axis...crappy....)

EVERY games on a nintendo console are a esclusives!!

IMO this is the reason why nintendo is selling so well... 

you may say:"people will get boring of new gameplay soon,wii is a fad..."

maybe...

omgwtfbbq said:

there seems to be this crazy opinion going around that really makes no sense. People seem to think that if the Wii sells like crazy and the 360/PS3 fail and all third part devs concentrate on the Wii then we'll see nothing but minigame collections and no "epic games".

Let's get serious here, Wii is not turning "hardcore" gamers (I really dislike that term) into casual gamers, but it's bringing in new gamers. What that means is the "hardcore" demographic will still be there and will be just as large as before. As long as the market is there then games will be made for them.

The Wii is more capable than the previous generations of consoles. Are you saying that the Xbox is not capable of "epic games"? The Wii is more capable of gripping, long, "hardcore" games as the original Xbox, which is a very capable machine. Games such as LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War, Too Human, Lair, etc can be played on Wii, with some effort and a graphical hit. Epic games existed before the Xbox360 and PS3 were around so what makes you think they're suddenly impossible now without their power?

So if in the future the Wii wins and no developers support the PS3/360 then you can sit there and whine and shoot yourself in the face all you want. Anyone who likes gaming will go where the games are.

you must not ever read devloperers blogs or watch interviews with Dev that make epic games. games Designers have ideas of what they want a game to do. 60% of the time thoes ideals cant be meet because of the gaming console not have the power or technology to pull off what they have in mind. With the Ps3 and 360 alot of game desingers have the tech to do alot more that they have in mind. The only problem i have with the Wii is that they dont give the Dev the Tech they need to pull off what thy have in mind. instead designers and devs are stuck in the same bounderies that they were stuck in last gen. Thw Wii mote brought in alot of ideas when it was first anounced but to this day it hasen't really executed the thoes ideas at all (at least by not by third party) and i can see that only nintendo made games will be sucessfull like the gamecube and third party devlopers will continue to put the third string game makers on the Wii games to make spin off games of major franchies. while major titles will make it onto the 360 and PS3 because they will have primarily hardcore gamers that buy alot more games then casualnew gamers who i doubt will try to venture into games that require alot of input.

Dont think that 3rd party games will flock with system sales numbers. until a third party game can prove that it can Sell on its own then it will be a slow flow of quality 3rd party games like on the Cube

for proof even with the Wii selling about 6 million already they have 4 games with over a millions sold.  Wii Sports(it comes with the Wii), Wii Play(Comes with a controller, and i think everyone will agree that the controller sold this game cause it suxed compared to Sports), Zelda TP Great game and deserves it million + sold(even though its on the Cube), Wario Ware Prolly the best mini game series to date and well deserving on million + sold.  ONE THING THEY HAVE IN COMMON ALL NINTENDO MADE AND PUBLISHED GAMES.

Also the lack of certain Genres will hurt the Wii.

Race Sims, 3D fighters, western RPG's, FPS's, JRPG's (currently most JRPG's are still only being made for PS2, DS and PSP) and Air Combat.

Around the Network
ranzchic said:

Expanding the market is phase one of Nintendo's strategy. The taking over happens later when the install base has been established and third parties can ignore the Wii at the risk of thier very existance.

You're a fool if you truly believe the PR spin by both Microsoft and Sony that the Wii is in an entirely different market than the 360 and the PS3. I don't even think both companies believe it themselves. If they do, well, good luck being in distant second and third place for not being prepared enough.

Remember, hardcores are a significantly small portion of the market, but they do buy a significantly higher number of games more than the casuals. Nintendo makes hardware so they can sell their software. Put two and two together.

I don't need to listen to PR, I myself believe it's a different market. There are far too many games that are not on the Wii. Huge console sellers are not on the Wii, therefore the other 2 consoles will sell. If you don't believe that...well, I'll just say you're wrong rather than call you a fool.

ALKO said:
NorthStar said:

I do not think the number of exclusives is what i was talking about...it is more about what those Exclusives offer. If you want to ride around an cars with cartoony characters thowing god knows what at each other....or Play a fighting game that those same cartoony Characters beat the crap out of each other..or Play golf with those same Cartoony characters..then yes by all means Nintendo is definitly for you. I see that in the future most people can know what games they want to play. What i see coming from Nintendo does not really appeal to me. That means in no way does it suck it just means its not the system for me right now. For that reason a Higher priced 360 or PS3 is what will cater more to MY liking. I ended up Choosing a PS3 just because I would be kicking my self in the ass in 5 years if I never got the next Metal Gear, God of War or Final Fantasy...I am sure the PS3 is going to have games i like. the 360 will too, but for now I had to choose. But Wii really never crosses my mind as my main system. So really with so few games out for PS3 right now i still play it way more than the Wii (Zelda or Metroid might change that a little)

that's is because i speak of wiimote!!

ps3 and x360 can have good few esclusives...

MGS4,FF13,DM4 ect...

but people get boring of these games...

they need real fresh games...and gameplay...

and ONLY nintendo can give these games to us...because of touch and because of real 3d pad.(i played motorstorm with 6axis...crappy....)

EVERY games on a nintendo console are a esclusives!!

IMO this is the reason why nintendo is selling so well...

you may say:"people will get boring of new gameplay soon,wii is a fad..."

maybe...

Just depends on the game. Sixaxis in motorstorm sucks (fortunately, you can just use analog instead). I don't need to bring up all the Wii games that don't control well (red steel...oops). We'll see how Lair and Warhawk control. So far, flOw is the best use of sixaxis. That game is a small work of art for $8.

grimygunz said:

instead designers and devs are stuck in the same bounderies that they were stuck in last gen.

No, no they're not.

windbane said:
ranzchic said:

I don't need to listen to PR, I myself believe it's a different market. There are far too many games that are not on the Wii. Huge console sellers are not on the Wii, therefore the other 2 consoles will sell. If you don't believe that...well, I'll just say you're wrong rather than call you a fool.

They all got caught with thier pants down. Most of them put all thier eggs on the PS3 basket. The fact that many more exclusives were annoucned for the Wii(10 new ones, in fact) in the last month or so than both HD consoles combined(9 in total between the both the PS3 and the 360) kind of shows that Developers are scrambling.

The games are coming. It is inevitable. Look out for many more explosive and new annoucnements in the coming months.

ranzchic said:
windbane said:
ranzchic said:

They all got caught with thier pants down. Most of them put all thier eggs on the PS3 basket. The fact that many more exclusives were annoucned for the Wii(10 new ones, in fact) in the last month or so than both HD consoles combined(9 in total between the both the PS3 and the 360) kind of shows that Developers are scrambling.

The games are coming. It is inevitable. Look out for many more explosive and new annoucnements in the coming months.

There are also companies such as Bioware that favored microsoft.  They are now making some unannounced PS3 and Wii game, but also a 360 game.  Capcom is sending more stuff to the 360 now.  Just because some games were announced doesn't mean they will be great, and it's not like those developers are stopping production of high-profile titles on the other 2 systems.  I think most of the games are just additions to their lineup, not a complete shift.

Seeing as how I'm getting a Wii I don't mind more third party support for Nintendo, but I just don't see why you are kidding yourself with some notion that there won't be more blockbuster games for the other 2 systems after this year.  This year is already loaded, too.