By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google Says Windows is Torturing Users

Squilliam said:
Snesboy said:
Squilliam said:

I think Microsoft is a better master than Google personally. You give up a lot more with 'free' than you do with a $50 OEM license.

Yeah, pretty much this. Win 7 has been amazing for me and I've never even used Chrome OS.

Well Microsoft just wants your money. Google wants to own your online identity and sell it to various companies. The more information you give them the more you're worth to the people they sell it to essentially. Since you're a paying customer Microsoft has an incentive to protect your privacy whereas with Google other third parties are the customers so they don't have the same incentive to serve your best interests.

Im not saying that Microsoft is good, but I think in many cases compared to Google it is the lesser of two evils and we need both in order to prevent the excesses of the other.

If it, as long as you are listed as a number,  you don't really care about online identity. I'm not saying that I will make the jump to google, because I find myself really happy with Window 7.  However, I am interested to see what the potiential third big wheel will bring, because I really dislike the second. 

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Squilliam said:
Snesboy said:
Squilliam said:

I think Microsoft is a better master than Google personally. You give up a lot more with 'free' than you do with a $50 OEM license.

Yeah, pretty much this. Win 7 has been amazing for me and I've never even used Chrome OS.

Well Microsoft just wants your money. Google wants to own your online identity and sell it to various companies. The more information you give them the more you're worth to the people they sell it to essentially. Since you're a paying customer Microsoft has an incentive to protect your privacy whereas with Google other third parties are the customers so they don't have the same incentive to serve your best interests.

Im not saying that Microsoft is good, but I think in many cases compared to Google it is the lesser of two evils and we need both in order to prevent the excesses of the other.

If it, as long as you are listed as a number,  you don't really care about online identity. I'm not saying that I will make the jump to google, because I find myself really happy with Window 7.  However, I am interested to see what the potiential third big wheel will bring, because I really dislike the second. 

Well to be honest it's really hard to say what they do with your information in reality, AFAIK they aren't audited by third parties.

Im not sure what you mean by third big wheel? Are you talking Chrome + Windows + Apple? If thats the case it'll probably speed up innovation. You'll probably notice that operating systems have changed more in the past 5 years than they have in the preceding 15 if you compare Windows 98 to Windows XP and Windows Vista to Windows 8. Thats what the promise of competition brings even if there really isn't any more competition than before.  

Tease.

epicberserk said:

google chrome sucks

It's my favourite browser! :(

Squilliam said:
Snesboy said:
Squilliam said:

The scary part is that your words are still playing it soft.  Read the following initially wonderful article, everyone, to see where it leads and then tell us what it honestly sounds like:  

Chrome & FIrefox both suck

IE9>>>>Chrome>>>>Firefox

Around the Network

I can't see myself ever getting a different OS than Windows... I plain refuse to give Apple my money and Google are becomming ever more insidious as time goes by. WIndows may be a little fussy at times and it may be 'swimming' in disease but thats nothing a bit of competence can't negate.

i'm not saying i like this google idea but they do have a point.  drivers, software updates, antivirus, malware, file formats and compatibility issues, blah blah blah.  pcs are a lot of work to maintain.  

i don't know shit about my car and that's the way i like it.  i've got way too much to do to learn all about whatever is under the hood. pcs are more up my alley but i wish it wasn't so much work.  frankly most people have even less knowledge and tolerance than me.

no doubt MS will be making it's way into more cloud based service as well.  i know there are risks and all and i'm sure there need to be a few consumer rights protection laws to be put into place but overall i'm pretty open to the idea.

kitler53 said:

i'm not saying i like this google idea but they do have a point.  drivers, software updates, antivirus, malware, file formats and compatibility issues, blah blah blah.  pcs are a lot of work to maintain.  

i don't know shit about my car and that's the way i like it.  i've got way too much to do to learn all about whatever is under the hood. pcs are more up my alley but i wish it wasn't so much work.  frankly most people have even less knowledge and tolerance than me.

no doubt MS will be making it's way into more cloud based service as well.  i know there are risks and all and i'm sure there need to be a few consumer rights protection laws to be put into place but overall i'm pretty open to the idea.

Windows 8 will likely be quite the game changer.  Not saying its going to be hugely successful, but the integration of desktop/tablet (W8), cloud (WL), Xbox (XBL) and smartphone (WP8) will be hugely ambitious and exciting.

Ultimately, though, the question that needs to be considered by businesses and consumers alike is "Who do I trust more with my information in the cloud, Google or Microsoft?"

Darth Tigris said:
Squilliam said:
Snesboy said:
Squilliam said:

The scary part is that your words are still playing it soft.  Read the following initially wonderful article, everyone, to see where it leads and then tell us what it honestly sounds like:  

Yep... pretty much this.

The funny thing is everyone says Google is free but noone tells you what you give up in order to access their services. People should ask themselves 'what does the other party get out of this arrangement?'. With Microsoft it's pretty clear, you give them money. With Google that answer is probably best described as 'it depends' and it isn't like you can avoid Google like you can with Microsoft.

Tease.

I was introduced to an Linux verison at university in one of the labs. it is great. 

The only problem is that: Windows Controls the major PC gaming market. Hopefully someone can make an Linux verison thats games friendly and i will not use Windows again :D.

But Windows is like iphone, if you go android most companies are supporting ios, same with linux, companies mainly support Windows.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong