By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google Says Windows is Torturing Users

Wow... Google really wants a war... Don't think they'll win unfortunately for them though

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Torture? Harly. Chrome is torture. Well, google doesnt think about Privacy either. 

Darth Tigris said:
kitler53 said:

i'm not saying i like this google idea but they do have a point.  drivers, software updates, antivirus, malware, file formats and compatibility issues, blah blah blah.  pcs are a lot of work to maintain.  

i don't know shit about my car and that's the way i like it.  i've got way too much to do to learn all about whatever is under the hood. pcs are more up my alley but i wish it wasn't so much work.  frankly most people have even less knowledge and tolerance than me.

no doubt MS will be making it's way into more cloud based service as well.  i know there are risks and all and i'm sure there need to be a few consumer rights protection laws to be put into place but overall i'm pretty open to the idea.

Windows 8 will likely be quite the game changer.  Not saying its going to be hugely successful, but the integration of desktop/tablet (W8), cloud (WL), Xbox (XBL) and smartphone (WP8) will be hugely ambitious and exciting.

Ultimately, though, the question that needs to be considered by businesses and consumers alike is "Who do I trust more with my information in the cloud, Google or Microsoft?"

honestly - i'd trust either.  hell, i'm already making use of steam/psn/amazon cloud services to a certain extent.

i mean, i guess i just don't get the fear behind peoples mistrust of google/facebook/clouds.  google gives me email.  i've had it for around ten years now.  before that i had hotmail.  either way i got ads but with gmail i get ads for things i like (video games) and not for things i don't like (tampons).  i'm not exactly tembleing in fear at the lack of tampon ads i no longer get.

i do think governments need to get involved to ensure proper consumer rights but that is regardless of the company.  but cloud service ... well being able to go anywhere in the world (with internet) and access my music collection on amazon is really really nice.

mchaza said:
goddog said:
mchaza said:
goddog said:

at the moment chromium os is a pile of hurt if you can not stay connected to the cloud, and unfortunatly android OS is being held back by telcos.... Google needs to grow a pair and tell the telcos to STFU and roll out new software unless a real bug that kills networks is found. where is the droid X/droid2  gingerbread roll out, why being held up so xperia can be the first gingerbread phone on verison, and that the x2 is not running an older OS then the X. its bull shit like this that makes me fear for my future of computing

*note im not defending MS and its duchebagery (and its own issues with phone updates), nor apple and its own bull shit, but at least apple told the carriers we are pushing out updates when we damn well are ready to, unfortunatly apple has not been able to free features that should be free on all devices anyway teathering should never cost extra if you have a data plan already

sorry to vent, just a bit pissed right now, love my droid by the way, its a shame i have to root it and work around so much to do things i should be able to do 2.3 without all the extra steps... netfilx is pretty cool on the droid

also i feel a hybrid of dropbox, android or any OS is the real future, a hybrid localtore auto sync accross shared devices not a purly cloud solution, it sucks big time when the cloud goes down and thats all you have

i dont think telcos are holding back on android when 800,000 android phones are activiated an day.

they most certainly are holding back OS updates and features that are stock, and should come with each phone they fear commoditization of the service they provide not realizing its already happened and cling desperately to extra service charges, and use artificial mechanisms to limit device functionality or deny upgrades to software in a timely manner.
yes they are profitable for them, i can not deny that, but they still gimp and inhibit many devices full functionality in a manner google should not allow, google may take time to throw its full weight around, and i can understand waiting to force the issue until the telcos are dependent on them, but if google does not force the issue it will be one of the largest failings ever on the side of tech

oh now i get what you mean. well dont think telco's can control updates, when google can simply release them over the market. The telcos cant just stop selling android when there are basically 2 types of phones now android or ios since prepaid are all andorid now (there is windows phone but yea). So it could be google holding back the updates because they get there cut from every phone sold. Then you have the hardware manufactures who probably dont want there phones lasting more than 2 years Max, even 1 year.

You both have good points that don't exclude each other, IMVHO.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't know man, Windows 7 is pretty scrumptious. I do think that Google Chrome is pretty amazing compared to Internet Exploerer though, hmm....

Competition is good, hopefully Google gets a good chunk of the market and they can all fight over it for a few years.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

I don't know man, Windows 7 is pretty scrumptious. I do think that Google Chrome is pretty amazing compared to Internet Exploerer though, hmm....

Try IE9...really I am not kidding. Chrome is a little more robust and slightly better maybe when everything is considered...but when it comes to just your basic browsing needs and speed...I think IE9 is actually edging Chrome.

disolitude said:
Doobie_wop said:

Try IE9...really I am not kidding. Chrome is a little more robust and slightly better maybe when everything is considered...but when it comes to just your basic browsing needs and speed...I think IE9 is actually edging Chrome.

I'll give it a go, I've tried Firefox and I was on Explorer around a year ago, Chrome came out on top, I have no loyalty though, so if IE9 is better, then I guess I'll be using IE9.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Doobie_wop said:
disolitude said:
Doobie_wop said:

I'll give it a go, I've tried Firefox and I was on Explorer around a year ago, Chrome came out on top, I have no loyalty though, so if IE9 is better, then I guess I'll be using IE9.

Just a fair warning...IE9 doesn't work with VGchartz when it comes to quoting people and replying. lol

Does everyone know that Google pretty much gives you the Chromebook for free....but then latches you on to a whooping 3 year agreement at $28 per month??

You will end up paying more in the long run than if you just bought a FULL FEATURED laptop with a FULL BLOWN OS. While a can see this setup working for some Enterprise situations, the regular consumer will not want to get into long term contracts, specially for underpowered hardware.

AussieGecko said:

Wow... Google really wants a war... Don't think they'll win unfortunately for them though

Asymmetric war. Quite dangerous. Most probably MS won't lose, but it will have to give more to Windows users for less, instead of constantly increasing the price of not crippled versions like it did in the last 20 years. It will have to give more also to OEMs and demand less from them to concede the best price for OEM licenses, as even OEMs absolutely not willing to abandon Windows will pretend to consider switching to Google, just to bargain over better prices.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!