By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google Says Windows is Torturing Users

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-windows-torture-chrome-os,12737.html

Google yesterday unleashed the full details on the public launch of the Chrome OS notebooks – or what the company now calls Chromebooks.

It's the big push by Google to run the desktop and laptop world with the idea to take away market share from Microsoft by relieving users and support staff of "torture" from Windows.

"With Microsoft, and other operating system vendors, I think the complexity of managing your computer is really torturing users," Google co-founder Sergey Brin said, quoted by Network World. "It's torturing everyone in this room. It's a flawed model fundamentally. Chromebooks are a new model that doesn't put the burden of managing the computer on yourself."

The key to Chrome OS is in its simplicity to the user. The data storage, applications, and even system updates are all done by Google in the cloud. In theory, this should free IT from having to deal with lost data, backups and outdated software.

Google claims that 75 percent of business users can be converted from Windows to Chrome OS right away.

In fact, inside Google, Brin estimated that only about 20 percent of its employees still use Windows. The rest of the staff either run Mac OS X or a flavor of Linux.

As far as Windows goes, however, Brin doesn't have any issue with the latest version – just that it doesn't operate like Chrome OS.

"I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Windows," Brin said. "Windows 7 has some great security features."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it folks. You are being tortured by Windows. Hand over your personal data to Google's cloud and everything will be ok...

I do love how OSX and Linux aren't torturing anyone and are ok to use in their office, despite having the same local data/program management as windows.

Someone please explain to me how is Microsoft still the "evil" one? I can see myself being literally afraid to touch a Google product in a few years if this business model takes off.

Even today, if you type "1080p projector" in google search...you will be seeing tiger direct projector ads anywhere you go for weeks. Imagine the behavioral targeting they will be able to do once they have your personal data...

Around the Network

I think Microsoft is a better master than Google personally. You give up a lot more with 'free' than you do with a $50 OEM license.

Tease.

google chrome sucks

Squilliam said:

I think Microsoft is a better master than Google personally. You give up a lot more with 'free' than you do with a $50 OEM license.

Yeah, pretty much this. Win 7 has been amazing for me and I've never even used Chrome OS.

yep, being in control of your own data management is torture, I hate thinking for my self or learning how to use something. 

plus with how much data google holds onto they can introduce their sequal to G-mail, G-MAIL BLACK!

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

I'd never trust the cloud with my data.

I used to hate Microsoft but they've toned down the evil recently. Anything I have a problem with I can just use an non-MS alternative now.

Office and IE are the past, Windows too, but it can survive as one of the many possible OS'. But this doesn't mean that the future must be a Google cloud.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The whole cloud thing is not my cup of tea so I'll do without Chrome for the time being.

It may not be for me but I wish it every success.

Any competition is a good thing in my opinion ( unless I personally own or have huge shares in the company that the others are trying to take away the marketshare from, of course).

Snesboy said:
Squilliam said:

Yeah, pretty much this. Win 7 has been amazing for me and I've never even used Chrome OS.

Well Microsoft just wants your money. Google wants to own your online identity and sell it to various companies. The more information you give them the more you're worth to the people they sell it to essentially. Since you're a paying customer Microsoft has an incentive to protect your privacy whereas with Google other third parties are the customers so they don't have the same incentive to serve your best interests.

Im not saying that Microsoft is good, but I think in many cases compared to Google it is the lesser of two evils and we need both in order to prevent the excesses of the other.

Tease.

eh, i'l stick to windows, had win vista for a year, ran flawless, upgraded to win7 been running amazing for a year now as well.