By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THE END OF CONSOLE GAMING IS NIGH! Gaming heading to extinction...

THE END OF CONSOLE GAMING IS NIGH! Gaming heading to extinction...

Yes, console gaming will be dead in 5 years 8 4.42%

It will be dead in 10 years 5 2.76%

It will be replaced, but not 'killed' 24 13.26%

With smartphones, who needs consoles? 4 2.21%

It's FOX news. Get over yourself 122 67.40%

See results 18 9.94%

Total:181

...according to Fox News. As we know, everything they say is a lie. Even the true stuff turns into a lie...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/14/new-technology-force-video-game-consoles-extinction-evolution/

I mean, seriously? Yes, sure, people enjoy playing on their phones from time to time, I mean, I do, but without buttons and analogue sticks, it can't replace console gaming, even handhelds. The 3DS has had a lukewarm start, but I'm sure that with games, it will find it's own soon enough.

But what do you reckon? Will console gaming die due to apps and mobiles? Or is it all scare-mongering from the media?

One things for certain though. I wouldn't bother going out and crying because gaming is dying. It will always be with us...at least for another 10 years, anyway.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I think it is still strong life, but eventually it will disappear into new forms of console mediums. However that does not mean the franchsies (Such as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Halo, and others) and gaming will die. 

Yes, the 7th gen showed the market is dying...oh wait.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

If Smartphones are the future of gaming, we might as well just give up now.

Console Gaming has been dying since the NES this is somethings thats been spouted by the media for years and years

The thing is it's not like the handheld and console markets are really a competition to each other users who play handheld games tend to own console as well the gameboy didn't kill anything neither did the PSP, DS or Iphone they can coexist quite nicely

Around the Network

Console gaming as we know it will die.

The future is plugging your phone to your TV. That's where android and iphone will go....uummm??

if by consoles you mean closed propretiery hardware ala wii/ps3/360.  yes, i think the end is coming.

Not in the traditional sense, says outspoken gaming analyst Michael Pachter. “Gaming will move to the cloud,” he told FoxNews.com this week. And that’s a body blow for console makers, who make money on not only their own games, but hardware sales and licensing fees.

To further complicate the issue, consumers are already warming to the idea of not owning their games, production consultant Keith Fuller told FoxNews.com. “Every time someone uses Gmail, Netflix Instant, or Amazon’s Cloud Player, they’re already buying into the concept of using a service without physically owning or installing something.”

it will take a while  but i more or less agree with this.  gaming will become more of a service than a product.  the issues of piracy, the used games market, and platform agnostics will motitvate developers to go in this direction.  i think consumers will follow due to a more favorable cost structure and better access to more games.

but eh, just my opinion on the future.

Next gen could very well be the last gen with home consoles, I believe portable will soon take over.

pachter's comment was perfect, taken almost totally out of context, and could be do to anything, and really summed up the article, "gaming will move to the cloud", of course it will, we've already seen Sony do Cloud saving and Steam did it long before PSN, so we are already there, and Pachter himself doesn't think its the right time to create Onlive, its simply too early

I like having a gaming machine. There will always be companies trying to sell you a box to put under your telly.