By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - recap ps3>360 LTD not on time

360 and even moreso the Wii have been amazing achievement's. PS3 was crowned king before during and after the 360 launch, not until the PS3 price annoucement was any chink in the armor shown.  Remember articles and discussions like this from 1UP http://www.1up.com/features/dreamcast-20 360 wasnt given a chance.     Still remember the coverage of E3 when MS was launching the 360 and PS3 was still a year plus away and how the press basically declared game over. This hurt sales the 1st year . I knew plenty of people that laughed off the 360 compared to the PS3 in the early years.  Yet somehow the 360 did better in its second year than it did over its 1st and didnt even need to cut the price for the PS3 launch which I thought for sure was part of MS initial plans.  And here we are approaching E3 2011 and the end of 360's 6th year and the price has dropped $100 on the entry 360 compared to launch.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
yo_john117 said:

haha oh Kirby, its not nice to rub stuff in peoples faces (unless of course its a nice pair of boobies)

Or a pair of balls, depending what your into.

Very true.

postofficebuddy said:

I have to agree with Brendude here. What makes you so sure that it won't happen this year? Looking at the YOY trends I'd say it's somewhat likely, especially as far as shipments are concerned. Last year PS3 outshipped 360 by 2.2 million units. Most likely PS3 will have its peak year this year and more than likely 360 will be at least marginally down on last year. If the combined YOY decline of the 360 and gain of the PS3 amounts to just 700k units than PS3 will pass 360 this year, and I'm pretty confident in saying that PS3 alone will be up by more than a million units.

Is the 360 really down this year?  I figured numbers like the 60% increase in the U.S. and news from other countries of increased Xbox 360 sales would mean the system is up.  The only country I can think of where 360 sales are down is Japan...  Why would they ship a record number of consoles if they're in decline?

kirby007 said:

so noone remembers the arrogance of the sonyboys in 2005/2006 that it would be number one again this gen.

but with the next gen around the corner and it having trouble overtaking the silly 360 ( right?) i just have to taste salty tears

Doesn't this kind of childish behaviour and making a thread just for this purpose put you right on par with those haters? You're both playing a child's game, and the one who started this time is you...

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Legend11 said:
postofficebuddy said:

I have to agree with Brendude here. What makes you so sure that it won't happen this year? Looking at the YOY trends I'd say it's somewhat likely, especially as far as shipments are concerned. Last year PS3 outshipped 360 by 2.2 million units. Most likely PS3 will have its peak year this year and more than likely 360 will be at least marginally down on last year. If the combined YOY decline of the 360 and gain of the PS3 amounts to just 700k units than PS3 will pass 360 this year, and I'm pretty confident in saying that PS3 alone will be up by more than a million units.

Is the 360 really down this year?  I figured numbers like the 60% increase in the U.S. and news from other countries of increased Xbox 360 sales would mean the system is up.  The only country I can think of where 360 sales are down is Japan...  Why would they ship a record number of consoles if they're in decline?

No but it's not gaining enough of a YOY lead now while it has the chance. As far as sellthrough is concerned it's only up by about 500k units. I can't see a $50 cut being enough to fend off the slim, Reach, and Kinect comparisons from last year. Back at the start of the year I figured it had a chance if it built up about a 1.5 million YOY lead by June, but that's obviously not going to be the case. Unless the price cut has a miraculous impact on sales it will likely have lost half of its current YOY gains by the week of the european slim launch. And November and December are increbidly steep comparisons, almost extraordinarily so.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

so noone remembers the arrogance of the sonyboys in 2005/2006 that it would be number one again this gen.

but with the next gen around the corner and it having trouble overtaking the silly 360 ( right?) i just have to taste salty tears

so after ~5 years of rubbing it in that the PS3 isn't performing as well as (some) hoped you still aren't satisfied ?  that's quite telling about your character good sir

Legend11 said:

Pretty sure he's working under the assumption that the 360 won't be up YoY after the slim/kinect periods come into play.  It's not that farfetched, about 75% of shipments in 2010 came after the slim launch, more if you consider a big chunk of their apr-jun quarter was probably slims even if it didn't go on sale till towards the end of the quarter.

Whether it will be up or down mostly depends on what they do with the price and Kinect.

I just know the first place this generation is the loser desperately releasing a console before its competitors completely roll over their "winner".

for those of you who think im a mean person, just look up my previous thread about this subject before you start drawing conclusions thank you very much .. and if you can't take that time or just don't wanna remember the general behaviour back then.. AJAX CHAMPIONE or in like get out of this one

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Squilliam said:
theprof00 said:

the haters got served?

PS3 was the underdog here, and will probably overtake before even wii2 comes out.

Also, I wonder if we align the ps3 with the ps2 in terms of revenue. I bet more has been spent by consumers on the ps3 at this point in time, than on the ps2. So regardless of whether or not 360 has gained a better foothold, I don't think ps3 has really lost anything besides their own profits, which is questionable when matched with a video format which will continue for another 10 years or so. Time will tell, as it always does.

Since when was the PS3 the underdog? The follow up to the console which sold 150M vs the console which sold 25M and you're calling the former the underdog?! I think you're a little confused...

I'd like to point you to lafiel's post just above. Ps3 has been DOOMED for the last five years. We've had the "PS3 has no gaems" slogan, "Sony just copies everything" slogan, "600$", "RIIIIDGE RACER" etc etc. Now, PS3 is on the brink of outselling the 360 and suddenly it doesn't matter?

There's been five years of crazy shit talking.

I will agree that at the outset of this generation, maybe 360 was he underdog (unless of course you count the wii). But over the course of the generation, PS3 and playstation gamers have been shit on so much that it's NOW the underdog.

Just my opinion.