By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix is doomed. Here's why.

Jazz2K said:
FinalEvangelion said:

FF9 was their last fully-featured Final Fantasy game.  In FF10, they started taking out some features like the flyable airship and FF classic theme.  By FF 13, it was pretty much an action game with RPG elements.

But, trying to Westernize so much will give them Westernized losses.  Notice how most JP publishers are profiting while Western publishers are bleeding.

The only hope they can start reversing things is to get rid of Wada immediately.

Is that true? Most of the time there are western games in the top ten... how can the japs be profiting if they don't sell as much? 

And I never thought I'd say that but I wouldn't miss SE except for Enix like someone said.

Copies sold does not translate to automatic profits. Look at EA and Ubisoft. Hell, I remember a quarter (1-2 years ago) where Konami profited more than Activision, even though they didn't have any big real big releases, while Acti has its COD.

All this talk of "The West is now on top, Japan is a thing of the past" is a load of garbage.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

FF14 could recover with the PS3 release, if they correct all the problems. but i dont play MMOs so i dont understand how SE could have the immensily successful online FF11 and then have a disaster like FF14, how can an MMO be so bad when the team already created a successful one??

A203D said:

FF14 could recover with the PS3 release, if they correct all the problems. but i dont play MMOs so i dont understand how SE could have the immensily successful online FF11 and then have a disaster like FF14, how can an MMO be so bad when the team already created a successful one??

Mostly cause the team released FF11 as an alright MMO and new teams came behind them and constantly updated FF11 into what it is today, the team that made it went onto 14, my friends that played 11 said it wasn't that great when it released but with the updates it became enjoyable, the problem with 14 is that it's bland, interface is terrible, is sorta buggy, and not optimized one bit it seems as my friends rig seems to chug when playing it and me and him both can play Crysis on max... sooo not only does the game exclude 90% of the MMO base on requirements alone... those 10% are those that buy a computer FOR gaming thus a bit more on the really knowledgable side so bugs and crappy interface don't fly.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Sony...time to takeover

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

ShadowSoldier said:

Sony...time to takeover

I'm not sure SE would be a good buy after an objectif cost/profit analyse of the company.

Besides i read somewhere that Sony (more or less) bailed them out after the 'final fantasy' movie debacle.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

For people who blame SE's merge for their demise, I'm only going to say this: FF X-2 was developed before said merge.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
A203D said:

Mostly cause the team released FF11 as an alright MMO and new teams came behind them and constantly updated FF11 into what it is today, the team that made it went onto 14, my friends that played 11 said it wasn't that great when it released but with the updates it became enjoyable, the problem with 14 is that it's bland, interface is terrible, is sorta buggy, and not optimized one bit it seems as my friends rig seems to chug when playing it and me and him both can play Crysis on max... sooo not only does the game exclude 90% of the MMO base on requirements alone... those 10% are those that buy a computer FOR gaming thus a bit more on the really knowledgable side so bugs and crappy interface don't fly.

FFXI wasn't perfect when it released but it was far from a bad game.  The ideas were solid and it was fun to play.  FFXIV is none of that.  People keep mentioning how bad FFXI was at launch but I think people just assume that it was as bad as XIV is and it wasn't.  Like most MMO's it had a rough start but it at least worked and was fun. FFXI didn't have to fix entire systems, it really needed balances, tweaks, and small fixes.  Everything in FFXIV is broken.

It relelased completely unfinished in a barely alpha state and it did everything wrong.  It had some decent ideas with their class system but Rift is already doing it better now.  Beyond that, they really just failed on everything.

twesterm said:
Teo said:

FF13-2 will be an instant success on release.

FF11 is their most profitable game up to date.

FF14 will eventually pay off its huge loses within 3 years and turn profit.

Dragon Quests and Final Fantasy ports/remakes on DS/3DS and PSP/NGP will sell better than most games on their respective market.

Even if FFv13 sells 5mil copies it might still be a loss for SE but I'm sure a game like that will get a sequel.

There is still a tiny chance we will see FF15 this generation, that will be an instant hit.

SE would be crazy to not join the social network and the smart phone game market, future gamers are lurking there by the millions, if they want to bring the next generation into the home console and handeld market then this is key for their survivability.

Yawn. SE doom thread #7632542

lol you think FFXIV is going to do anything?

That game has been bleeding money and it's still awful.  It has a beyond bad reputation and now it's old news, there's really nothing that can save that.  FFXI was great and it's my favorite MMO ever, but FFXIV is a massive waste of time.  There's really nothing they can do to save it.

And while I don't think SE is going anywhere, that doesn't mean they're not a joke.  Final Fantasy has a few games left in it before it goes away and turns into FFVII and FFXIII spinoffs and their other games release and fade into obscurity.

Honestly, in 5-10 years I see them becoming Atari.  They're going to turn into a significant publishing giant that is eventually just going to die and become a fond memory of those old people who love "classic" gaming.

I can promise you right now, every FPS developer is more likely to not exist in 10 years over SE.

Albion said:
Teo said:

FF13-2 will be an instant success on release.

FF11 is their most profitable game up to date.

FF14 will eventually pay off its huge loses within 3 years and turn profit.

Dragon Quests and Final Fantasy ports/remakes on DS/3DS and PSP/NGP will sell better than most games on their respective market.

Even if FFv13 sells 5mil copies it might still be a loss for SE but I'm sure a game like that will get a sequel.

There is still a tiny chance we will see FF15 this generation, that will be an instant hit.

SE would be crazy to not join the social network and the smart phone game market, future gamers are lurking there by the millions, if they want to bring the next generation into the home console and handeld market then this is key for their survivability.

Yawn. SE doom thread #7632542

Not if FF14 flops after one year of patching.

I'v looked at the game, and it's not gowing anywhere.

They are not doomed but as long as they have FF14 the will lose money.

FF14 has 18 servers right now with 2,500 to 3000 people playing on each server.

When they start charging:

$12 monthly fee x 2,500 players (at least) = $30,000 in revenue for one month on 1 server.

$30,000 x 18 servers = (at least) $540,000 in revenue per month in total.

$540,000 x 12 months = (at least) 6,480,000 in revenue for the first year of payment.

It's just good business.

Teo said:

When they start charging: