By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix is doomed. Here's why.

Dodece said:

Massive Multiplayer Online games can actually be self sufficient with as few as ten thousand users. They can enter into a state of developmental dormancy. All that is required is to consolidate the hardware, decrease the bandwidth, whittle the staff down to a team of three, and bank some content patches. You can basically run the whole affair out of a small room. Sony Online Entertainment has been doing this for years. They run a number of games that are abysmal failures, and are able to do so year after year. Not only that, but according to them they are making a healthy profit.

They probably spend less then a hundred thousand a month maintaining the system. So the rest is just straight up profit. Granted if your looking to make back a fifty million dollar up front investment. You will probably never make that back, but if you can make back a million dollars a year. Why wouldn't you just continue to drag the corpse. Honestly I cannot say just what motivates some people to hang onto a obviously dead game, but there seem to be enough such types out there to keep such games going for years.

True, but they're basically remaking FFXIV from the ground up.  Nothing really worked for that game and everything has to be touched.  The things that didn't work have to be made working and the things that did work have to be remade because they just weren't fun.

If SE does manage to actually fix the game, it will have the budget of a AAA game and a AAA MMO put together along with the drain of monthly upkeep and however many months the game was free to play (because they aren't making any money off of game sales).

Around the Network
TheGameFather said:

Square dropped the ball right after final fantasy 1.

The whole fun was getting to pick your own party, why they switched to forced static characters I'll never know.

Okay, now that's a little harsh.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Actually Square-Enix does have a facebook game.It's basically Mafia Wars in a fantasy setting with a story.

http://apps.facebook.com/knightsofthecrystals/?ref=bookmarks&count=0

this generation isn 't the best for square-enix ff XIII was a late release and versus XIII is still  TBA(OMG HOW MORE CAN WE WAIT ?) Dragon Quest X is still TBA and most of their releases haven 't tokk the best commments like last gen

If only Enix could escape from Square the way Metal Slimes do from me...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

Yeah, they plan to release a new MMO to make up for their losses. What makes them think they can make a good MMO after the debacle that was FF XIV? That MMO better be like... FF Tactics the MMO or something.