By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Up May 7, 2011

mchaza said:
Buzzi said:
mchaza said:

3DS is surely struggling when they would rather buy an DS over an 3DS 

Mmh I just want to point out that actually DS 3DS sales are very good ones, the reason why many of you are complaying is because Ps3 and 360 sales are abnormally high for 5 years old consoles. Look at the same week in 2005:

Worldwide Hardware
Console Weekly (change) Total
PS2 230,261 (-9%) 85,013,294
PSP 99,668 (-32%) 2,624,145
GBA 98,789 (-4%) 65,155,614
DS 81,585 (-29%) 5,132,523
XB 49,346 (-8%) 21,209,855
GC 24,382 (-15%) 18,338,516
PS 425 ( 4%) 19,358,334

DS 3DS sales are about the double of GBA DS sales, and there's the same situation between the new and the old portable device, even GBA was outselling the DS initially. Oh, and PS2 sold 40k less than PS3/360 combined in that same week, so globally we're on the same situation. And for the same reasons, even DS lacked games in its first months.

Different thing for Wii, actually a decrease for a market leader was normal, not a so sharp one; but, again, the reason why we're so interested in all this is because its competitors are seeing a strange pattern, having their pick year at their 4th/5th one. If we take all this into account, this situation is quite understandable looking at the past and we can say that no-one is actually struggling. Not sales-wise, but if MS or Sony cut their price just to win this eternal battle they would make a bad move money-wise.

those totals look werid considering it has PS1 at 20 million when the console sold 110 million overall ???.

True, there should be an error in the database since it sold 102m according to VGC.

Anyway the other totals look plausible, and the weekly sales too.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network

Glad to see that Halo: Reach is still up there holding its own against the new titles!

LOL PS3 on TOP even after all the BS article about PSN dragging sales down and we get the usual "wait for x week" AHHAHAAHHAhA its like MGS4 on 360 or FFvs13....geezz ps3 sales must really be messing with the hardcore fanatics heads.

XxXProphecyXxX said:

LOL PS3 on TOP even after all the BS article about PSN dragging sales down and we get the usual "wait for x week" AHHAHAAHHAhA its like MGS4 on 360 or FFvs13....geezz ps3 sales must really be messing with the hardcore fanatics heads.

It's possiblel VGCharts can't track second hand market.

We know how many bought a PS3 this week, but we may never know how many have been trad in, or how many people would buy one but change their mind.

Be sure that PSN outrage is hurting Sony busines. Thousands of transactions were made every day (games on demand, DLCs, Music, Films...), without forgeting PSN membership.

Sweet, wii and 3ds are last! I love these numbers.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Antabus said:

Sweet, wii and 3ds are last! I love these numbers.

Poor Nintendo, whatever did they do to you?

Absolutely nothing. That is why I dislike them.

there is no problem with ps1 at all, only that vgchartz only has numbers from japan at that time

Buzzi said:
mchaza said:
Buzzi said:
mchaza said:

3DS is surely struggling when they would rather buy an DS over an 3DS 

Mmh I just want to point out that actually DS 3DS sales are very good ones, the reason why many of you are complaying is because Ps3 and 360 sales are abnormally high for 5 years old consoles. Look at the same week in 2005:

Worldwide Hardware
Console Weekly (change) Total
PS2 230,261 (-9%) 85,013,294
PSP 99,668 (-32%) 2,624,145
GBA 98,789 (-4%) 65,155,614
DS 81,585 (-29%) 5,132,523
XB 49,346 (-8%) 21,209,855
GC 24,382 (-15%) 18,338,516
PS 425 ( 4%) 19,358,334

DS 3DS sales are about the double of GBA DS sales, and there's the same situation between the new and the old portable device, even GBA was outselling the DS initially. Oh, and PS2 sold 40k less than PS3/360 combined in that same week, so globally we're on the same situation. And for the same reasons, even DS lacked games in its first months.

Different thing for Wii, actually a decrease for a market leader was normal, not a so sharp one; but, again, the reason why we're so interested in all this is because its competitors are seeing a strange pattern, having their pick year at their 4th/5th one. If we take all this into account, this situation is quite understandable looking at the past and we can say that no-one is actually struggling. Not sales-wise, but if MS or Sony cut their price just to win this eternal battle they would make a bad move money-wise.

those totals look werid considering it has PS1 at 20 million when the console sold 110 million overall ???.

True, there should be an error in the database since it sold 102m according to VGC.

Anyway the other totals look plausible, and the weekly sales too.

VGChartz has only Japan's data from the PS1 generation, so those are Japanese sales.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

People. How many million softwares do you think PS3 have sold today

paulrage2 said:

People. How many million softwares do you think PS3 have sold today

Not anywhere near as much as you think.