By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Trades increased by 200% since PSN crash

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

The difference is steam is a open system and psn is a closed system more to my point the psnstore which will remain closed regardless because ps3 is a closed platform Sony gets profit from everything that comes through it, linking your psn account would be cruicial to games you own otherwise piracy would be incredibly easy on digital games

Why.

This is.... yet again... another thing that is categorically false and you just make yourself look silly again with your lack of knowledge on how this stuff works.

Is piracy incredibly easy on digital games that don't require PSN for online

Of which, there are tons of singleplayer PSN games

PSN has nothing to do with stopping piracy.

Piracy is stopped (or was stopped) by the PS3's key autentication system.

Opening up your system to new servers wouldn't change a thing.

I mean, you do know the PS3 has a web browser right?  If games were sooooo easy to pirate without PSN.  I should be able to use my PS3 web browser, or a flash drive on my computer.   Download Megaman 11... then it should just work right?

Why because you are playing games on servers that don't bother to check if your on an account that bought the game, not to mention the whole issue with the friends list, running a open system off a closed system store has so many flaws with it it's riddicules yet you refuse to see any of them, steam only works because everything is open and even with it working there are tons of cheaters and pirates far more then on consoles so you thinking it would work just cuz it works on pc is kinda riddicules 

Seriously, go back and re-read what I said and absorb that for a second.  Do you think it's as easy to pirate a one player PSN game as just downloading it on your PSN.

Course not but it's alot easier on a open system 

No it isn't.

PSN does not check if your games are pirated or not or if you own the PSN games...

and by the way... if you are pirating PSN games... PSN actually does think you own them.

What checks whether you own the game or not is your console.

That's why you don't have to be online to play PSN games.  Outside of Capcom.

Do you even own a PS3?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

PSN does not check if your games are pirated or not or if you own the PSN games...

and by the way... if you are pirating PSN games... PSN actually does think you own them.

It checks firmware which would be impossible if the account wasn't link and the server wouldn't know if you brought the game so it would make it riddiculesly easy to pirate as oppossed to moderately difficult, and pcs measures for piracy preventure have been met with very limited results, so it's either open yourself up to hacking or open yourself up to piracy or open yourself up to cheats and exploits or any combination of the above, not to mention the issues with messaging and friends list even trophies, it's just not a good idea I don't get why you can't see something so obvious it barely works on an open system like pc it'd never work on a closed system 

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

It checks firmware which would be impossible if the account wasn't link and the server wouldn't know if you brought the game so it would make it riddiculesly easy to pirate as oppossed to moderately difficult, and pcs measures for piracy preventure have been met with very limited results, so it's either open yourself up to hacking or open yourself up to piracy or open yourself up to cheats and exploits or any combination of the above, not to mention the issues with messaging and friends list even trophies, it's just not a good idea I don't get why you can't see something so obvious it barely works on an open system like pc it'd never work on a closed system

Actually the PS3 does that automatically whenever it's online... and they know it, not by it's PSN ID... but by it's console number first and foremost.

Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

Actually the PS3 does that automatically whenever it's online... and they know it, not by it's PSN ID... but by it's console number first and foremost.

Which they couldn't detect if they weren't using their servers... which means the only way to check anything and send messages and see your friends ect ect would be to link psn accounts to the server 
try to keep up 

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

Which they couldn't detect if they weren't using their servers... which means the only way to check anything and send messages and see your friends ect ect would be to link psn accounts to the server 
try to keep up 

Dude... don't be snotty when you don't understand the technical capabilities of what you are talking about.

Again, on Steam... you can check your friends list, cross game chat, all that shit... while playing in servers that are in fact... not connected to steam.  Steam accounts are not linked to every server you play games on.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

try to keep up 

Dude... don't be snotty when you don't understand the technical capabilities of what you are talking about.

Again, on Steam... you can check your friends list, cross game chat, all that shit... while playing in servers that are in fact... not connected to steam.  Steam accounts are not linked to every server you play games on.

Steam isn't a closed system you just don't understand that it would be impossible to do on ps3 like they do on pc you are just assuming it is based on well absolutely nothing 

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

try to keep up 

Steam isn't a closed system you just don't understand that it would be impossible to do on ps3 like they do on pc you are just assuming it is based on well absolutely nothing

In otherwords "i've run out of things I don't know about, and can't even make up a reason it wouldn't work anymore."

Do you even know the difference between an open and closed system?  The answer?  Open sysetms are open.  All PSN would need to do to be like steam... is to allow companies to use outside servers.

Cross game chatting and all that is done via an overlay and has nothing to do with PSN.  The only difference between PSN (and live) and Steam is PSN and Live refuse to let you go connect to servers without putting in an extra password, so that PSN and Live can keep it as a commodity.

Live so they can charge for it... and PSN so they have the option to charge for it in the future if they want.

That's the ONLY advantage of the closed system PSN and Live have, with many disadvantages.

Though you know.  That you can charge for online service isn't really an advantage for the consumer, or really anyone long term.

Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

No it isn't.

try to keep up 

In otherwords "i've run out of things I don't know about, and can't even make up a reason it wouldn't work anymore."

Do you even know the difference between an open and closed system?  The answer?  Open sysetms are open.  All PSN would need to do to be like steam... is to allow companies to use outside servers.

Cross game chatting and all that is done via an overlay and has nothing to do with PSN.  The only difference between PSN (and live) and Steam is PSN and Live refuse to let you go connect to servers without putting in an extra password, so that PSN and Live can keep it as a commodity.

Not really I've been over this all already you just don't get it, yes all psn has to do to be like steam is to be like steam and be open as in Sony not getting the cut they are now from the store which is never going to happen psn store can't stay closed and have the servers open without creating piracy cheating and vunerability to hacks what about that don't you understand 

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

try to keep up 

Not really I've been over this all already you just don't get it, yes all psn has to do to be like steam is to be like steam and be open as in Sony not getting the cut they are now from the store which is never going to happen psn store can't stay closed and have the servers open without creating piracy cheating and vunerability to hacks what about that don't you understand 

You do know... Steam gets a cut of sales in the steam store.

And no... you could still make PSN the only place to buy stuff, and have open servers.

I don't know why you think you couldn't.  The only one who doesn't understand is you... from a barebones technical point of view.

What decides what programs you can run on your PS3... is your PS3.  It had nothing to do with PSN.   You can have open servers, and still force everything to be bought at the PSN store.  Very eaisly.

This is like argueing evolution with a creationist who argues "I've never had a tail!"

I mean, you do realize PS3 has a web browser right?

Lostplanet22 said:
papflesje said:

Belgian indie retailer Gameswap

Let's pick a retail thing that no one in Belgium basically has EVER heard of and make it a part of the statement to "show" something ... if they had asked Fnac / Game Mania / ... then I could accept it a bit more, but gameswap, really?

It is a popular store in Gent....And you were from Antwerp right?   Maybe it is time to face Belgium is more than Antwerp =p.

Pick 1 store and generalize it for the statement made in the thread title seems a bit overboard. As I said: if they picked Game Mania and the likes...

besides, there's nothing else in Belgium aside from Antwerp (Gent is a fun distraction, nothing else :p)