By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Day One" game purchases

I pretty much never buy games on day one.  It just isn't worth it to me.  I also usually have games just sitting there waiting to be played.  Those games just sitting there are a great excuse for me to save money.  That siad, there are a few games I bought day one or close to it.

Super Smash Bros Brawl - Absolutely worth it.  It is my number one most played Wii game to date.

Metroid: Other M - I love Metroid, so of course, I had to have this game.  Amazon had a deal running where if you pre-ordered his game you got $20 of your next video game purchase.  So I basically got this game for only $30.  I thought to myself, "Nintendo games almost always sell for full price for a long time.  This is a great deal."  It is going new on Amazon for less than $20 right now including shipping.  Oh well, it was still fun.  Probably would have waited in hindsight.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

PSP

Dissidia

Dissidia 012

Valkyria Chronicles II

PS3

Uncharted 2

heavy Rain

LBP 2

Gran Turismo 5

Games I will buy day one

Uncharted 3

maybe Agito (whatever the name is now)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Pokemon Diamond - Bought a DS at the same time as well. Gave me well over 200 hours of entertainment.Very satisfied with it.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Played the heck out of it the first 3-4 days with friends. Tried online after that and was disappointed. I traded it in a couple weeks later, but rebought it for peanuts a year later. A "meh" rating. Would have rather waited and got it a year later.

Metroid Prime 3 - My first prime game and I couldn't put it down...just about missed the first day of school because of it. Very satisfied with it.

Oh yea, I forgot about Starcraft 2, I got that release day too

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Worth it

MGS4: GOTP

Starcraft II

Gears 2

Gran Turismo 5

Uncharted 2

COD: MW2

COD: Black Ops

Lost Odyssey

Not worth it

FFXIII

Halo 3: ODST

GTA4

Infinite Undiscovery

Around the Network

Having bought the PS3 recently, the only games I've bought on launch this gen were Wii and DS games.

Wii:

WiiSports (Bought Launch Wii)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (The game was alright, but definitely not what I expected and not my favorite Zelda.)

Super Mario Galaxy (One of the 5 best games I've played this gen.)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Just as good as its prequel, but somehow I like the original just a little bit more.)

New Super Mario Bros Wii (Pretty good, but I kind of like the one on DS better.)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Love the game.  WOuld be one of my 5 favorites if more people played it and better online.)

Metroid: Other M (I think the game is fine.  Its nowhere near the best Metroid out there, but it didn't 'kill' the series like so many say.)

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (One of the 5 best games I've played this gen hands down.  Everyone who owns a Wii should have this game.)

Little King's Story (Was majorly hyped for this game, but it ended up being a mess of ever increasing spikes in difficulty and little information given for missions.  And the bosses are frustrating not from difficulty but because they mostly are trial and error.)

DS:

Dragon Quest IV (I am a massive fan of Dragon Quest, but this game made me cry.  Not because of the gameplay itself, but the localization team totally ruined the game by adding tons of 'accents' to the characters, changing the context of dialogue and even editing out certain scenes.  This is the prime example of a bad localization in gaming, to the point that it ruins the game.)

Dragon Quest V (Much better translation, though not without some bad accents added at random places.  But as for its gameplay, its amazing.  Upgraded an already good game with new story, a new character to play as and the best mini-game in an RPG ever).

Dragon Quest VI (I'm actually still playing this.  But like any Dragon Quest game, so far its awesome.)

Dragon Quest IX (Played it about 70 hours.  As big of a fan I am of Dragon Quest, I didn't do all the grotto and monster hunting for the end game.  But the main game is still good.)

Kirby Squeak Squad (I enjoyed the game, eventhough some fans didn't.  The Angel Power was awesome.)

Kirby Super Star Ultra (Remake of a great game with even more content and better controls.  Game is great.)

Pokemon Pearl Version (It was pretty good, but I still liked the previous games better, especially Emerald.)

Pokemon Platinum Version (I tried to play through the game again, but I just got bored.  I also didn't see the massive increase in content like I did between Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald.

As for games I'm waiting for to buy first day:

Diablo III (PC)

Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)

Phantasy Star Online 2 (?)

Batman: Arkham City (PS3)

Assassins Creed Revelations (PS3)

Ninja Gaiden 3 (PS3)

White Knights History (PSP)

Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS)

Paper Mario 3DS (3DS)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)

Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road (Wii)

Dragon Quest X (Wii)

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I pretty much only buy Day 1. If I don't buy a game on Day 1, then 95% of the time I'm not buying the game ever. I'll just rent those games later that I'm not interested in buying. Biggest incentive for me to buy day 1 is DLC pre-order bonuses and Amazon credit. 

Amazon's release date delivery makes it so easy.

d21lewis said:
  • Final Fantasy XIII:  Fuck this game.  Next!

God bless you sir!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
d21lewis said:

God bless you sir!

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2dvvn05.jpg[/IMG]

brendude13 said:
hatmoza said:
d21lewis said:

God bless you sir!

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2dvvn05.jpg[/IMG]

Well that didn't go to plan...

I still hate you guys.