By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Day One" game purchases

Looking at the Soul Calibur 5 thread reminded me of the fact that I bought Soul Calibur 4 on the day it came out.  This gen, more than ever, I've gotten more games on release date than ever before.  Would you so kindly list the games you bought on day one and tell me if they were worth it?  Here's mine:

Xbox 360:

• Soul Calibur:  Not really worth it.  It just didn't suck me in like Sol Cal 1-3.  I'm actually undefeated in it, online--largely due to the fact that I've only played about five matches online before deciding that I didn't really enjoy it.
  • Gears of War 2:  Hell yeah, it was worth it!  I swaggered into my nearest Gamestop on launch day to find it was totally sold out (which reminds me that I better go ahead and pre-purchase GeoW3).  I had to search for the game all day and it was worth the wait!
  • Halo Reach:  The only reason I got the game on day 1 was because my homeboy was getting it on day 1 and I figured we could play online.  He wound up selling his copy after about a week. We never did play online.  That bastard.  Not really worth it, to me.
  • Halo 3:  Fell for the Halo 3 hype and managed to grab a USED copy on day 1.  Luckily, it was an awesome game.  I loved it!
  • Fable 2:  Fell for the Fable 2 hype.  I LOVED this game and played it nonstop--largely because of the online community.  The orbs made this game an addiction.
  • Fable 3:  Not really worth buying on day 1.  It just didn't re-capture that Fable 2 magic.  Nobody talked as much as they did during my playthrough of Fable 2.  Good game but I could have waited.
  • Enslaved:  I championed this game for months before it launched so I sorta HAD to buy it on day 1.  It was a great game but almost instantly, the price dropped and stores like K Mart and Toys R Us were offering half price deals on it with the purchase of another game (Like Castlevania).  Oh well.  I don't regret jumping up early that morning.
  • Call of Duty 4:   I just happened to be in Gamestop and everybody else was buying the game.  I asked the clerk if they had anymore.  He said, "We have ONE copy".  I had to have it.  He then reached into a box of about 10,000 copies and sold me one.  Good game that I actually had no intention of buying.
  • Call of Duty Black Ops:  Everyone on my job was buying it so I had to buy it, too.  I'm such a lemming.  Good game, though.  I probably could have waited.  I didn't play it much after the purchase.
  • Mass Effect:  The trailers for this game had me jizzing in my pants to play it.  My 19 year old girlfriend bought it for me.  Man, I miss her.  I even named my Commander Shephard after her.  Now, I'm sad.
  • Mass Effect 2:  Hell yeah it was worth buying on day 1!!  Best game, eva!
  • Bioshock:  A quality game that I bought on day 1 for really no reason.  I didn't start playing it until 2010 and I still didn't bother to finish it.
  • Bionic Commando:  Came out on my birthday (May 19th) and I spoiled myself.  This game got a bad rap.  As a fan of the original, I loved it!

Wii:

• Metroid Other M:  I don't give a damn what anybody else thinks.  This game was fucking awesome!!
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl:  I fell victim to the hype.  I didn't really care for the series before this.  I barely play SSB Melee.  A very good, high quality game.  To this day, I've never managed to get one online mult-player game to work and nobody has ever played me offline, either.  It was sort of a lonely experience for me.  Too kiddy for my "Hardcore friends".  To hardcore for my kiddie friends.  Me and my kid beat the co-op game, though.  That was fun.
  • Mario Kart Wii:  GET BEHIND THE WHEEL!  After seeing that commercial, I was in line the next day.  This is the best multiplayerWii game on the market!!

Playstation 3

• Uncharted 2:  After the amount of build up and hype for this series, you better believe I was in that store for this one on launch day.  For the amount of time it took to beat this game, nothing else on earth mattered.  Great game--worth getting up early for!
  • Metal Gear Solid 4:  This is the only game I've ever stood in line for at a midnight launch.  I went home with my MGS4 80GB PS3 and a huge smile on my face.  If I had died right there on the spot, I'd have died happy.  Of course, I couldn't play the game until the next day (my first taste of PS3 installs and updates).  And while the game didn't blow me away like I'd hoped, it was worth it. I'd do it all again with a smile!
  • Heavy Rain:  This is the kind of niche game that I love.  I was tooo hyped for this one (and CGI kept feeding my hype--he's the "Flavor Flav" of VGChartz!).  Amazing game.  Usually when I buy a game, I sneak it past my girlfriend (I have SHELVES of video games and I always convince her that "Oh, I bought this game months ago!" despite the fact that it's January and the game says 2011 when I turn it on.) but with Heavy Rain, we walked right into that store, side by side, bought the game, and she watched me play it.  Great game.
  • Final Fantasy XIII:  Fuck this game.  Next!
  • Batman Arkham Asylum:  The first time I've ever totally payed off a game a month before it came out.  I'm not a fan of pre-orders but I just knew this game was something special.  It was a good feeling walking into that Gamestop and walking out with this game--in front of a line of guys that didn't pre-order and were waiting for a shipment to come in!  One of my favorite games of the entire generation!

I can't remember any downloadables that I've bought on day one--but there were any.  I can't remeber the previous gens either exept for Feel the Magic (with a brand new DS) and Super Mario 64 and SSX (got the games but no console!).

Around the Network

I wish I could list them all but since I'm a manager for Gamestop I pretty much get whatever game I want on launch day so my list would be massive haha.  But instead I'll list the game's coming up over the rest of the year that I'm FOR SURE getting day 1.

-  Gears of War 3

-  Uncharted 3

-  Infamous 2

-  Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

-  Assassins Creed Revalations

-  Batman Arkum City

-  Resistance 3

-  Forza 4

-  Silent Hill Downpour

-  New Tomb Raider

-  Battlefield 3

-  Modern Warfare 3

-  Twisted Metal

and probably many more

^^^That's not a bad idea, actually.  My must buy game are:

• LA Noire (I don't even know why!)
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Uncharted 3
  • Gears of War 3
  • Tomb Raider (which reminds me that I got Underworld and Anniversary on day 1, too!)

DS

• Advance Wars: Duel Strike: Yes, one of the longest, and most rewarding handheld games ever made. Also very playable in 15 minute segments. Reason why I got the DS in the first place.

• Forza Motorsport 2: Yes very worth it. The first proper HD simulation game, and it was very fun. Especially with the steering wheel.
  • Forza Motorsport 3: Best racing game this gen, I still play it, and it's the reason why I still use my steering wheel.
  • Gears of War 2: Definatly. One of the best multiplayer games ever, and the inclusion of Horde Mode was epic.
  • Halo 3: Not worth the Minight release wait, but for a 2007 game, this was awesome. Very polished game, something we don't see from even the best.
  • Halo 3: ODST: Not really, got the game because I wanted the beta for Halo: Reach, and it was a good game, but not worth the price.
  • Halo: Reach: Debatable. It's a great game, but I saw it on a heavy sale 2 months later. It was worth getting it early as it was something to play online and before the November wave, but Day 1 may not have been special at all.

PS3

• Killzone 3: Not really. Co-op was fun, but outside of that I didn't feel that much of a jump from Killzone 2. Also it's release time was during a busy time i school for me.
  • Gran Turismo 3: Not sure. I was pretty disapointed with this game at the end, and I play Forza 3 now instead of it, but it was fun while it lasted. Had I got it later, there wold have been no hype, and I'd be less interested.

Wii

None yet since I only got the Wii this year, but I lan to get Pikmin 3 day one.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I get nearly every game day one. I'd be typing until August so it's quicker to list those that really stood out if that's kosher.

• Halo 3. The end of a 3 year wait. The campaign wasn't all I had wished for but it's arguably the best online experience I've had.
  • Reach. Got the legendary edition in a hench box a dwarf could safely live in. Reach in 2010 wasn't quite the same as Halo 3 in 2007 but very much worth the wait.
  • Advance Wars DS. I didn't strictly get this "day 1" but I did buy it the day I got a DS. In fact it was the reason I got a DS. The most addictive game I've ever played, easily sank in 600 hours.
  • MGS4. The PS3's first major AAA title as we know. I remember Japanese ads at the start, an install with Snake's trademark cancer sticks and finally the Middle East gameplay. I had 4 or 5 days to finish MGS4 as I was going on a long holiday just after release and what a week.
  • Uncharted 2. Worth it of course. It not only lived up to the hype and awards, it's as fun to play as it is fucking beautiful to look at.
  • God of War III. Hell yeah worth it. I still maintain the first 30-45 minutes is the best opening to any- not specifically PS3 or even this generation- any game. The Poseidon battle is just the kind of "next-gen" set piece I had in mind during the early days of E3 2005/6.
  • Mass Effect 2. This just sticks in my head. Awesome game kicking off with the burning Normandy.
  • GTA4. The one that didn't meet the hype. VC/SA had me hyped for months and months; not only meeting but exceeding all my hopes when they hit. GTA4 fell way short.

For sure 2011 day 1s- Infamous 2, Splinter Cell HD, Resistance 3, Gears 3, Valkyria Chronicles III, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Ratchet & Clank, Twisted Metal, Dark Souls, Batman: Arkham City, The Darkness 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3, Team ICO Collection and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

Around the Network

This gen I have only bought 360 games on Day 1; they are:

1)  Gears 1, Gears 2, soon to be Gears 3: were/will they be worth it?  Hell yeah.
2)  Halo 3 (yes), Halo Wars (not Day 1 good, but good), Halo: ODST (also not Day 1 one good, but good) and Halo: Reach (yes).
3)  Modern Warfare 2, yeah I spent a lot of multiplayer time in this game, Black Ops: IMO, no, didn't care for the MP as much as MW2.
4)  Bioshock 1 & 2 - Hell yeah, LOVE rapture
5)  Mass Effect 1 & 2 - Yes, again (Ashley or Miranda, Ashley or Miranda...)
6)  Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas - Hell Yeah, Hell Yeah and not so much (respectively)
7)  Dragon Age 1 & 2 - enjoyed both games but not worth day one purchase IMO.

Interestingly enough, I have never stood in line at midnight for a game (probably never will, as I get up for work at 6:00AM).

Day one purchases for the rest of this year:

1)  Gears 3
2)  Uncharted 3
3)  Skyrim

Maybe more, but those for sure!

Call of Duty 4:   I just happened to be in Gamestop and everybody else was buying the game.  I asked the clerk if they had anymore.  He said, "We have ONE copy".  I had to have it.  He then reached into a box of about 10,000 copies and sold me one. 

LOL

anywho I honestly can't even remember what I bought first day, I usually preorder but pick it up a day or so after depending on my schedule

I know for sure I picked all GOW day 1. psp and ps3. Think I got UC2 day one too.

and I know I will be picking up inFamous 2 day 1 and UC3 day 1

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

This gen, only...

• Metroid Prime 3: Awesome, awesome game. One of my favorites of the generation. But it still kinda disappointed me. I love the original and Echoes soooo much more.
  • Street Fighter IV: Again, kick-ass game. My second favorite Street Fighter.
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: I would fight to the death with teeth and nails before saying this isn't the best thing ever printed on a disc.
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Very fun game, but a little bit oversimplified, if you ask me or my cousin. (With whom I've played MvC2 for hundreds of hours.)
  • Some game I know I'm forgetting: Since I can't even remember what it is, I doubt it was worth it. I think I even returned it to the store.

I don't buy games on day one, it's rare for me to even buy a game a full price 

PS3

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Best game ever? Fuck yeah :)
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
COD Modern Warfare 2
Final Fantasy XIII
God of War III
Call of Duty Black Ops
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Gran Turismo 5
LittleBigPlanet 2
Marvel VS Capcom 3
Dragon Age II