By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Besides optimization to a platform, why care about exclusivity?

@brendude  1. true  2. maybe but that doesnt mean that a PS3 gamer might not enjoy a dancing game or a WIi owner might not enjoy a figther, some people dont want to buy more than one console  3. true but the more people get to play it the more money they will make, im sure it will even out 4. 1st party devs operate on different circumstances than 3rd 

5 thats a silly reason

Around the Network

@grandia  Crysis is 1 game out of how many??? I never said there should be exclusives (1st party for obvious reasons) and there is more to a game than gee whiz graphics. 

leatherhat said:

Exclusive games are nearly always better than their multiplat counterparts

Maybe because their multi-plat counterparts don't exist?  

Is Killzon 3 the bst FPS?  I bet millions would disagree.  And while it looks great, it's only a smidge better looking than the competition.  Most people wouldn't even notice.  Same goes for Uncharted.  Same goes for Little Big Planet.  Same goes for Gran Turismo, inFamous, and virtually any franchise you can name.  These are great games but that's because of the quality designers at Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, and others.  Being exclusive has nothing to do with it.  It's the resolve of the company/developer to make great games.  If any one of them wanted to make the same game for the 360, it would look almost as good--maybe even better.  Definitely comparable in quality.

This is turning into a 360 vs PS3 thing, I feel.  I'm gonna sit this one out but I had@to say my piece.  Later, dudes.

d21lewis said:

I'll use Assassin's Creed as an example.  Imagine if this game were exclusive to the PS3 in the exact same form that it was released in.  Don't change a single thing.  It would be used as fodder against the 360 at any given opportunity.  The exact same game, mind you, but people would swear on their grandmother's soul that it was too much for the 360 to handle.  Who could argue?  I mean, the 360 version wouldn't exist to prove the comparable power of the 360 and PS3.

But the 360 version does exist.  The 360 version of a lot of games exists--and sometimes, that version is the better version.  You STILL have people saying that the 360 version held the other version down--often with as much proof as I have here proving the opposite (which is absolutely none at all).  The basis for this, in my opinion, is an absolute NEED to have superiority over the competition.  I don't get it.

Imagine a world where a game like Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, or Ninja Gaiden--games that were once exclusive to the 360 were originally on the PS3.  Imagine the amount of rage there would be if they were ported to the competition--after development for the PS3 version was totally complete.  None, you say?  If Konami said MGS4 was being ported to the 360 a full three years after the PS3 version, PS3 fans would say that it somehow hurt the quality of the older version!    Where does this come from?

I've played and enjoyed games like Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 on my PS3.  If I were solely a PS3 owner, I'd be glad for my friends on Xbox 360 to have a chance to play the game.  When ME2 was released for the PS3, I was happy that PS3 owners could finally see what 360 gamers were clamoring about, all along.  Nobody shared my sentiments.  Suddenly, ME2 was "shit compared to ME1 which is only on 360".  ME2 "didn't hold a candle to the PS3 exclusives".  All of this hate because suddenly the game was available to a new audience.  Sometimes, fanboys make me sick.

Look, I personally don't see the point in exclusivity.  I don't get a sense of joy when the Blu Ray version of Avatar (just an example) isn't available to DVD owners.  I'm glad they can see how shitty avatar is without the 3D!  I don't get any pleasure talking to my PS3 owning friends at work about some call of Duty Map Pack that they don't have yet.  I wish they could join in the conversation.  I don't see the huge technical leap between a game like Uncharted 2 and Batman AA.  The PS3 and 360 are about the same to the average person.  I think a comparable version of God of War 3 could be produced on the 360.

So, I posted all of that just to say this:  The only reason people care about exclusivity is pride.

I totally agree with you and  fanboys make me also sick I don't get there childish behavior,  maybe we are to old for that.

I paid a premium for my console because of the exclusive titles it offered and the future exclusive titles in the pipeline. It was the single most important factor in my console choice in the beginning.

Secondly, if a rival console was offering superior exclusive content after a few years, I would probably re-evaluate my decision at that point in time and perhaps trade-in and switch consoles to enjoy the better exclusive support.

It's hugely important to me, exclusive games have offered me the most entertainment in gaming this generation.

To answer your question though, that's extremely simple- Some people are far too attached to their console of choice.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@grandia thats your opinion i dont think Crysis 2 looks better as GOW3 or Uncharted 2

@mr. khan  thats the job of first party studios, not 3rd parties, 3rd parties should be getting their game in as many hands as possible

actually its not really opinion. the game as well as others can/was proven to be inferior graphically.

maybe he is talking art style, then that would be opinion, and a valid one at that

oniyide said:

@brendude  1. true  2. maybe but that doesnt mean that a PS3 gamer might not enjoy a dancing game or a WIi owner might not enjoy a figther, some people dont want to buy more than one console  3. true but the more people get to play it the more money they will make, im sure it will even out 4. 1st party devs operate on different circumstances than 3rd 

5 thats a silly reason

1. -

2. But if a PS3 user wanted a dance game, they would have bought a Wii. If the Wii owner wanted to play a shooter, they would have bought an XBOX 360 and so on.

3. That is true, but if the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 cost $5 million to develop and only generation $3 revenue then the developer loses money. Not to mention if the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3 delayed the game by 6 months for the game to release simulataneously on all systems, then XBOX 360 owners are going to be pissed. Especially if the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3 barely breaks 500k.

4. 1st party devs receive funding from SONY, MS and Ninty though don't they?

5. NEVAAAAR >=D

To gain more customers (usually 1st party), build the identity of the console (1st party, yet again ), or to get more publicity from the platform holder (3rd parties).
Otherwise, we would only have one console in the market, thriving, or there all somewhat divided into pieces.

1. Optimization: The average exclusive game probably looks better than the average multiplat game.

2. Identity: When a consle has more exclusive games, that increases the popularity for said console. For example: Pretend I own console A and B. And my friends only owns console B. Console A has a few great exclusives that my friends and I would love to play together, but they only own console B and won't buy console A unless it gets a few more exclusives. When those few exclusives come, then my friends will finally buy console A and we'll play the games we missed out on.

In the end i don't really care that much, but its always an up to have more exclusive games. It further justifies the purchase of the console.