By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Besides optimization to a platform, why care about exclusivity?

Grandia said:
Vetteman94 said:
Grandia said:
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

Because I love Microsoft Nintendo and Xbox Wii and I want them to win.

This. Exclusivity making games better sounds, in most cases, to me to be a desperate fanboy myth.

Yea it is only a fanboy myth, the most exklusiv Games like Little big Planet, SOCOM,  Motorstorm or Infamous look in reality way worser than mulit Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5. The best looking Console Game out ther is Crisys 2 and it is a multi Game how is that possible when only exklusiv Games look good like the Fanboys say? It is all bullshit what this fanboy nerds say.

Cherry Pick much?   How about comparing those titles to games like God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain.....    Oh thats why because they wouldnt compare well

Yea you also may compare God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake or Heavy Rain to multi Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5 and I still can`t see the advantage of exklusive Games, this exklusives Games look like Gears of War or Killzone look also good but they don't stand above Crysis 2 or Resident Evil 5 .  Crysis 2 i the best looking Console Game, many gaming Sites share that opinion and even if  Uncharted 2 stand on the same graphics level like Crysis 2, than I still ask you where is the advantage of exklusive Games when they only stand on the same level as multi Games.

Only 5 websites have said that about Crysis 2. All the others still claim U2 or Killzone 3 to be the best. And every one of those games are beyond all they games you mentioned except Crysis 2 which is beaten by the 2 already mentioned.   Thats the advantage, only one multiplatform game available can stand up to the large number of great looking exclusive titles available.  And that number only is going to grow.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
goforgold said:

identity, plain and simple.

Right. I like to see consoles build their own distinct identity, and although i resent when games i like go exclusive to other platforms for the obvious reasons, i think it works better for the industry as a whole

And what for do you need that? Where is the advantage for you and the other gamers here? If you get any game on any console you would save money and space and you have the possibility to play any game you want. This exklusiv Game bullshit has no advantages for Gamers it only brings limitations to us, the only one who benefit of this are the console  producers.

I'll use Assassin's Creed as an example.  Imagine if this game were exclusive to the PS3 in the exact same form that it was released in.  Don't change a single thing.  It would be used as fodder against the 360 at any given opportunity.  The exact same game, mind you, but people would swear on their grandmother's soul that it was too much for the 360 to handle.  Who could argue?  I mean, the 360 version wouldn't exist to prove the comparable power of the 360 and PS3.

But the 360 version does exist.  The 360 version of a lot of games exists--and sometimes, that version is the better version.  You STILL have people saying that the 360 version held the other version down--often with as much proof as I have here proving the opposite (which is absolutely none at all).  The basis for this, in my opinion, is an absolute NEED to have superiority over the competition.  I don't get it.

Imagine a world where a game like Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, or Ninja Gaiden--games that were once exclusive to the 360 were originally on the PS3.  Imagine the amount of rage there would be if they were ported to the competition--after development for the PS3 version was totally complete.  None, you say?  If Konami said MGS4 was being ported to the 360 a full three years after the PS3 version, PS3 fans would say that it somehow hurt the quality of the older version!    Where does this come from?

I've played and enjoyed games like Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 on my PS3.  If I were solely a PS3 owner, I'd be glad for my friends on Xbox 360 to have a chance to play the game.  When ME2 was released for the PS3, I was happy that PS3 owners could finally see what 360 gamers were clamoring about, all along.  Nobody shared my sentiments.  Suddenly, ME2 was "shit compared to ME1 which is only on 360".  ME2 "didn't hold a candle to the PS3 exclusives".  All of this hate because suddenly the game was available to a new audience.  Sometimes, fanboys make me sick.

Look, I personally don't see the point in exclusivity.  I don't get a sense of joy when the Blu Ray version of Avatar (just an example) isn't available to DVD owners.  I'm glad they can see how shitty avatar is without the 3D!  I don't get any pleasure talking to my PS3 owning friends at work about some call of Duty Map Pack that they don't have yet.  I wish they could join in the conversation.  I don't see the huge technical leap between a game like Uncharted 2 and Batman AA.  The PS3 and 360 are about the same to the average person.  I think a comparable version of God of War 3 could be produced on the 360.

So, I posted all of that just to say this:  The only reason people care about exclusivity is pride.

Exclusive games are nearly always better than their multiplat counterparts

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

• Exclusive games make each platform unique.
  • That exclusive game might be suited to the fanbase of that platform.
  • Making a game multiplatform takes resources, time and money, therefore delaying the game and costing developers more.
  • First party developers receive funding which could be used to create a better game.
  • You may prefer one platform or business to another and you want them to succeed, or the other to fail >=).
And generally sticking it to the fanboys who love one certain platform for the most pointless and pathetic of reasons. Slimebeast gave us a perfect example of the kind of people I hate (although I'm sure he was joking), "I love dis console cus I got it 4 Christmas, neva played da other but they suck anywayz".
When it comes to consoles, they are just machines, I couldn't care less. All I care about is the system working and me being able to play great games.
The business behind them however is something I care about, if a certain company's actions have an impact on my gaming experience then I will be pissed. That is the issue I have with Microsoft, their success this generation was forced, they used money as a weapon to make their console successful. As much as I enjoy my XBOX 360 and the great games it has, it will still be "the other console" (as my friends call it) that has completely ****ed this generation of gaming for me. My opinions on the console are unbiased, but as soon as we get to exclusive games, I am biased against the XBOX 360. Simply because I don't think Microsoft deserve the success and their legion of fanboys don't deserve the glory. So I will cling onto games like MGS4 and Uncharted and hope they never see the light of day on the XBOX 360, I would say the same about Wii titles, but I don't see them going multiplatform any time soon.
Anyway, I'm tired as crap when I wrote this so sorry if I rambled, hopefully you can find some logic in this though.

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

Platform optimization is the thing I care about, but no other reason since you ask.  For example, I really think the multiplat move of FF13 hindered the game from its potential (not the only reason, though). 

For many people, it's just ammo in list wars.

Be careful, Jarrod will lynch you for this.

...Yes, I still remember.

@grandia i actually agree with what you typed last

@d21lewis i agree with everything you said but come on MGS4, no one would care its way to old

@leatherhat explain becaue last i checked there was no "multiplat" version of Halo 3, Uncharted you get the point

oniyide said:

@grandia thats your opinion i dont think Crysis 2 looks better as GOW3 or Uncharted 2

@mr. khan  thats the job of first party studios, not 3rd parties, 3rd parties should be getting their game in as many hands as possible

Then let it be like you say and Crisys 2 is not the best looking Game on the consoles, even if Uncharted 2 and Gears of War 3 are on the same level than Crisys 2 than still where is the advantage? If multigames look as good as exklusiv Games why you rather want to have exklusiv Games than mulit games?

Consoles only? Mainly because there are some games that benefit greatly from being able to use more storage space.

If we count PC as well? I think I won't even bother explaining...

In general, having to develop a game on several platforms takes some resources and especially for smaller teams, this could be taken away from developing the actual game.

Grandia said:
Vetteman94 said:
Grandia said:
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

Because I love Microsoft Nintendo and Xbox Wii and I want them to win.

This. Exclusivity making games better sounds, in most cases, to me to be a desperate fanboy myth.

Yea it is only a fanboy myth, the most exklusiv Games like Little big Planet, SOCOM,  Motorstorm or Infamous look in reality way worser than mulit Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5. The best looking Console Game out ther is Crisys 2 and it is a multi Game how is that possible when only exklusiv Games look good like the Fanboys say? It is all bullshit what this fanboy nerds say.

Cherry Pick much?   How about comparing those titles to games like God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain.....    Oh thats why because they wouldnt compare well

Yea you also may compare God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake or Heavy Rain to multi Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5 and I still can`t see the advantage of exklusive Games, this exklusives Games like Gears of War or Killzone look also awesome but they don't stand above Crysis 2 or Resident Evil 5 .  Crysis 2 i the best looking Console Game, many gaming Sites share that opinion and even if  Uncharted 2 stand on the same graphics level like Crysis 2, than I still ask you where is the advantage of exklusive Games when they only stand on the same level as multi Games.

this is so off topic why are you even bringing this up.

also glasses and sites like Digital Foundry and Lens of truth are your friends.

i suggest you use them