By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Besides optimization to a platform, why care about exclusivity?

optimization is all any other reason is fanboy nonsense. This game should be on my console but not yours, thats crap because the same people will piss and moan when their is an exclusive thats not on their console

Around the Network
goforgold said:

identity, plain and simple.

Right. I like to see consoles build their own distinct identity, and although i resent when games i like go exclusive to other platforms for the obvious reasons, i think it works better for the industry as a whole

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

richardhutnik said:

I see there is a valid argument to be made for a title being optimized to a certain platform, in that developers can get the most out of a game from a performance angle.  Besides this, why should anyone care that a game is an exclusive to a certain platform?  If a game appears on your platform of choice, but also others, why should it matter?  Why would the likes of MGS4 jumping to the XBox 360, or Gears on the PS3, really upset people, for example?

Besides optimization?!?!? What else matters than a better game lol

oniyide said:

optimization is all any other reason is fanboy nonsense. This game should be on my console but not yours, thats crap because the same people will piss and moan when their is an exclusive thats not on their console

But that is not a real big advantage of exklusiv Games, Games like Crysis2 are also optimized for every Console or the PC, Crisys2 looks better than 98% of all exklusive Games on the Consoles and when multigames can look like the best looking exklusiv Games than I dont see any   disadvantage of them.

Oh, well I guess exclusivity lends a certain amount of hype (a large amount) and increases sales, which results in higher profits, and therefore more games by the developer. So, if it's a great game, I'd rather it be exclusive because that means it has a good chance of selling a lot, and them making another one. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
goforgold said:

identity, plain and simple.

Right. I like to see consoles build their own distinct identity, and although i resent when games i like go exclusive to other platforms for the obvious reasons, i think it works better for the industry as a whole

agreed

I like that when I play a friend in an exclusive game its the same version so the controls are the same and the fanbase of the game isn't fractured by platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Grandia said:
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

Because I love Microsoft Nintendo and Xbox Wii and I want them to win.

This. Exclusivity making games better sounds, in most cases, to me to be a desperate fanboy myth.

Yea it is only a fanboy myth, the most exklusiv Games like Little big Planet, SOCOM,  Motorstorm or Infamous look in reality way worser than mulit Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5. The best looking Console Game out ther is Crisys 2 and it is a multi Game how is that possible when only exklusiv Games look good like the Fanboys say? It is all bullshit what this fanboy nerds say.

Key word in there is looking, sure they look better but when they play worse, when you put everything into graphics and have AI running into walls and horrible gameplay it better look good

@grandia thats your opinion i dont think Crysis 2 looks better as GOW3 or Uncharted 2

@mr. khan  thats the job of first party studios, not 3rd parties, 3rd parties should be getting their game in as many hands as possible

theprof00 said:

Oh, well I guess exclusivity lends a certain amount of hype (a large amount) and increases sales, which results in higher profits, and therefore more games by the developer. So, if it's a great game, I'd rather it be exclusive because that means it has a good chance of selling a lot, and them making another one. 

Do you have any sales data that shows this? I've seen people throw this around a lot, but "lack of hype" isn't exactly holding franchises like CoD back. Overall, considering that this hype cannot even be proven to increase sales significantly, appealing to different audiences of different consoles definitely seems like the best option saleswise.

The only reason to go exclusive, I'd think, would be lower prouction costs, but then you might as well not make games for HD consoles at all.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx