By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Besides optimization to a platform, why care about exclusivity?

It depends on the kind of exclusivity. Sony are known for trusting developers and giving them great creative freedom with budgets to match, so aside from a game that may be greatly optimized for the PS3, any game Sony publishes will build on creative freedom and not be marked by restraints from management and budget.

Many multiplat publishers seem to be going down this route anyway, so it's not that unique to exclusives any more.

Around the Network

If you buy a game for a platform and then that games goes to the other platform I would be extremely annoyed, exclusives you like are just reassurance you made the right choice with which platform to buy and often like you said better because of optimization 

A good example to me would be PC gaming. There's no stupid gaming war just good gaming. Where I would understand the exclusivity would be from motion games. Move/Wii/Kinect are so different developing for the three at the same time automaticaly means gimped controls especialy when one is totaly different (Kinect). MJ the Experience is a good example.

On that day when every Game comes out on any Console out there i will  celebrate, because than I only have to buy one console and not two or three, the situation on the gamin Market ist absolut ridiculous, when I buy a DVD or Blu Ray Player I can see all DVDs/Blu Rays on any Player, when I buy a TV I can see all  television  channels on any TV no mather wich producer, wehn I buy a PC I can play all Games no matter wich producer, why the hell must the Consol Market be different there? I wish that some day all Games come on all Consoles, I dont care for that ridiculous Fanboywars, I piss on that Fanboy Nerds they are alle  retarded subjects with no life or friends, I dont care for any Console producer they are all the same greedy bastards, all I want is to have the possibility to play any Game I want and therefore it would be the best that any Game comes at any Console.

Platform optimization is the thing I care about, but no other reason since you ask.  For example, I really think the multiplat move of FF13 hindered the game from its potential (not the only reason, though). 

For many people, it's just ammo in list wars.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

Because I love Microsoft Nintendo and Xbox Wii and I want them to win.

This. Exclusivity making games better sounds, in most cases, to me to be a desperate fanboy myth.

Yea it is only a fanboy myth, the most exklusiv Games like Little big Planet, SOCOM,  Motorstorm or Infamous look in reality way worser than mulit Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5. The best looking Console Game out ther is Crisys 2 and it is a multi Game how is that possible when only exklusiv Games look good like the Fanboys say? It is all bullshit what this fanboy nerds say.

Grandia said:
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

This. Exclusivity making games better sounds, in most cases, to me to be a desperate fanboy myth.

Yea it is only a fanboy myth, the most exklusiv Games like Little big Planet, SOCOM,  Motorstorm or Infamous look in reality way worser than mulit Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5. The best looking Console Game out ther is Crisys 2 and it is a multi Game how is that possible when only exklusiv Games look good like the Fanboys say? It is all bullshit what this fanboy nerds say.

Cherry Pick much?   How about comparing those titles to games like God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain.....    Oh thats why because they wouldnt compare well

They only reason going from exclusive to multiplat bothers me is when a game becomes succesfull on one system, than another system gets an improved or expanded version of said game. It's the fans of one console making a game a success, and the owners of a different console reeping the rewards. Not a huge deal, but it can be annoying sometimes.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

identity, plain and simple.

Vetteman94 said:
Grandia said:
Immortal said:
Slimebeast said:

Cherry Pick much?   How about comparing those titles to games like God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain.....    Oh thats why because they wouldnt compare well

Yea you also may compare God of War III, Gears of War 2 & 3, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Alan Wake or Heavy Rain to multi Games like Crisys 2, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 13 or Resident Evil 5 and I still can`t see the advantage of exklusive Games, this exklusives Games like Gears of War or Killzone look also awesome but they don't stand above Crysis 2 or Resident Evil 5 .  Crysis 2 i the best looking Console Game, many gaming Sites share that opinion and even if  Uncharted 2 stand on the same graphics level like Crysis 2, than I still ask you where is the advantage of exklusive Games when they only stand on the same level as multi Games.