By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I don't understand.. why is the PS3 on top now?

pezus said:
Immortal said:
pezus said:

How can you assume he's hardly running at all?

You can't. It's all subjective really. At best, you could gather the speeds of running of all humans over history, understand the situation and circumstances, research if and how much of an effect evolution has had on human running speeds, see if human running speeds are adequate by other beings' standards, somehow objectively adjust for all these differences in the equation and come up with averages to compare his running speed to...

But who on earth is gonna do all that?

I don't know, but since it's all subjective, I hereby declare that the 360 is doing very well in sales and therefore the PS3 is also doing very well.

Fair enough, :).

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

The difference would be more insignificant than it is now.

20k each week for PS3 is almost a "estatistical tie". It would take 3 years for PS3 to close the gap.  And we all saw what happened at hollydays.

Last year the difference was 60k or more weekly. Before Kinect and their "shity games" PS3 could be number 2 by now.

And guys, what games PS3 has this year that make it so superior to 360 releases?

YUP we saw what happened.

Slim360 plus halo reach plus kinect massive advertising = PS3 still managed to shrink the GAP.....

Last year PS3 was leading 360 by that much because of the PS3 slim and price cut effect was still strong till 360slim and kinect came, you said it your self it was before kinect released.TBH 360 should be the console on top right now because it had momentum from slim and kinect release just like PS3 slim plus price cut momentum but NO ps3 is still on TOP even after 2 years past the price cut and slim release.

i bet hardly any europeans have psn so they wouldnt care.Sony only has 10 million credit cards tied too it whilst 360 has nearly 30 million.Xbox is for the hardcore and sony keep pumping kiddies games

snakefisher said:

i bet hardly any europeans have psn so they wouldnt care.Sony only has 10 million credit cards tied too it whilst 360 has nearly 30 million.Xbox is for the hardcore and sony keep pumping kiddies games

HAHAHAHAHAAHH!

I know ehh? Kinect adventures and joy ride along with zumba fitness is so "HARD CORE!"

while KZ3,Infamous 2,Yakuza 4,LBP2,motorstorm apocalypse along with Uncharted 3,twisted metal and resistance 3 are for kids.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! my god I've never laughed so hard in a while.

Squilliam said:

The big 3 in order of the power of system selling exclusives has always been:

1. Nintendo.

2. Microsoft.

3. Sony.

In this current generation.

If a game doesn't sell, it doesn't move systems and Sony simply hasn't released that many games which have come out and outright sold systems. The only significant game they did release was known about since the start of the generation, GT5. Anyone who says that the exclusives released by Sony has lead to some kind of manifest destiny is pretty much deluding themselves. It has always been the brand and the expectations around the brand which has made the PS3 perform as well as it has. If the 'Playmaker 1' had been released in 2006 for $599 it would have sold fewer than 10M consoles.

What you fail to understand and many people fail to grasp is that Sony has never, ever, ever,ever been about selling tons of one copy of one game and selling tons of systems associated with it.  Sony and it's library of games are what sell systems. 

Sony has never been a company with life-long mascots like Nintendo or Microsoft has been.  Even when presented with the perfect opportunity to market a mascot (IE: Sackboy)  they don't do it nearly as much as the other two.

That's my biggest reason for enjoying Sony consoles.  Every generation is a plethora of 85/100   exclusive games in a wide variety of genres.  Contrast that with Nintendo and Microsoft who seemingly have only their blockbuster exclusive games and their exclusive production cycle is very limited and repetitious. 

Sony just releases a constant flow of what I would consider 'good' games.  Not always 'great' but 'good' games.    Where as Nintendo and Microsoft ride the wave of their 'BIG' games.   Mario, Zelda every generation regardless of the capacity are solid selling titles.  Halo is in the same boat.  Gran Turismo is the same for Sony but they don't advertise Gran Turismo in nearly the same manner (Atleast in the USA) and Sony doesn't make it their 'Flagship' title. 

Around the Network

The PS3 is just doing well.  

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

snakefisher said:

please assure me this is a joke post, I can't imagine any other explanation. 

As for w hy PS3 is doing so well, consider the following:  

Blu Ray is getting bigger than ever before, and PS3's have always been about the total entertainment thing, so that will contribute to its continued support. 

PS3 is the only of the consoles that has released any exclusives of any value so far this year (LBP2 and KZ3 are enough, but we already have MLB11 The show as well, and considering it's just May now...).  Wii has Conduit, but that's hardly noteworthy.  Also, PS3 may have the best upcoming lineup, but nobody outside the more passionate gamers like ourselves know or even care.  

PS3 has sold well in EU and Japan since it's launch, so this doesn't surprise me.  

as others have pointed out, 360's have kind of leveled off and Wii is plummeting (no wonder they're scrambling to get a new console out next year).  so even without these other factors, it would likely win by default. 

That said, I prefer to think it's just overall better, becuase it is. While casual games and shooters are the most popular games right now, PS3 still has far and away the objectively best lineup right now, unless you're REALLY into shooters or carnival games.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

@snakefisher  yo mad, bro???

I'm still tryin to see how does the PS3 have better games when the 360 & PS3 gaming library is pretty much identical...LMFAO

EyeAmTJ said:

I'm still tryin to see how does the PS3 have better games when the 360 & PS3 gaming library is pretty much identical...LMFAO

There are a lot of differents games between 360 and PS3... last time I counted the PS3 has more than 130 exclusives and 360 more than 120... more than 250 different games.

So many games exclusive to a library  "pretty much identical".