By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo scrap 3DS?

Could Nintendo scrap 3DS?

Yes, they could rely on D... 39 21.31%

No, they couldn't rely o... 144 78.69%

Total:183

The 3DS isn't going to be scrapped yet. Far too early in its life cycle to tell. Once the software starts pouring through sales should pick up. It'd be more sensible to ask this question in a years time if sales are still at current levels.

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
Squilliam said:

I think they'll give it a shorter lifespan. I expect the 3DS to last for as long as the GBA did as a swan song to their DS line. Their true next generation handheld will probably be coming in 2014/5. Whatever their new handheld is I expect they will do away with the legacy DS form factor. I have kind of always thought they went with something akin to Intel's Tick/Tock strategy with their console designs.

Awesome response!

Its amazing how most people in this thread think the same way.  Its like watching a bunch of clones basically copying and pasting the same reply over and over. We all know 3Ds doesn't have games, marketing, etc. yet but the OP asked if Nintendo would be willing to scrap the 3Ds if they had to.

My answer: Yes, if the 3DS continues to sell this way even after all of these magical games, remakes, etc. come out then yes thiy will scrap it. For some reason the 3DS just seems way to similar to the 3DS in that most people might not feel like upgrading. I agree with squilliam in that the 3ds will have a shorter lifespan

Im sure the 3DS will sell pretty well but Nintendo needs a completely new way of operating before they can recapture DS like sales again. I suspect they haven't responded as well as they could have to the iPad/iTouch and the iOS/Android smart-phones out there. They won't scrap the 3DS because they simply don't need to and at worst they'll cut the price and bump out the DS from the lineup and use that as their low end handheld.

Tease.

Alright the writers here at VGChartz and a fifth of the VG users caught on to the fact I was asking a hypothetical question. Could Nintendo scrap the 3DS, I wasn't in anyway suggesting they will or in any way predicting its down fall.

I was asked by a friend if the NGP launched and 3DS sales did not gain could Nintendo scrap the 3DS. Even as such I was not saying NGP would crush Nintendo, I wasn't suggesting I think NGP even has a chance though I won't further comment as to not open that can of worms.

The question was and is simple, could Nintendo scrap the 3DS?

My response is "no" I don't think Nintendo could scrap the 3DS. Why can't Nintendo scrap the 3DS.

Hardware support - Look at what happened to Sega when they constantly released new hardware. A few hardcore supporters bought the new hardware, however releasing so many add ons and upgrades consumers just stopped purchasing them and turned on Sega. If Nintendo scrapped the 3DS and unvieled a new handheld anytime soon I think many hardcore consumers would hold off on a purchase and some early adopters would as well. If the product wasn't extremely good and priced it would do just as bad if not worse then 3DS.

Third party support - Again I'll have to reference Sega. Sega had developers working hard on Saturn games and didn't give many of them much notice when they suddenly switched to DreamCast. Many developers had long term plans for Sega's consoles but Sega enraged them by upgrading and leaving them in the dark. With 3DS Nintendo has alot of third parties developing software and a scrapping of 3DS would enrage third parties at a time Nintendo is trying to build stronger relations.

Software sales - Nintendo's own first party development has been focused on 3DS and likely Cafe. The software needs to sell and Nintendo is placing all of its heavy hitters later this year. If NGP did infact out gun 3DS Nintendo would need that software to sell and break even.

Breaking even - As another member mentioned Nintendo will not want to loose money, they will want to make back their R&D. This means keeping the system alive. If Nintendo scrapped the 3DS before it had made back the R&D they would need the next handheld to make back its R&D and 3DS's.

Building quality recognition - With DS , Wii and all earlier consoles with the exception of Virtual Boy Nintendo has made a huge name for itself as a quality console maker. The name of Nintendo would be tarnished big time by such a move. It would hurt the companies image in turn hurting its pocket book via investors.

I could go on but don't need to. I told my friend that if Nintendo did scrap 3DS it would take a very big blow and I don't think Nintendo would do that. I also raised the point that Nintendo has billions in reserves and are planning a new marketing plan. I said Nintendo would likely throw a huge campaign behind it before allowing it to go under.

But answered the hypothetical question as a yes and no.

No Nintendo can't afford to take such a blow to their reputation and damage relations with developers and investors. But financially Nintendo does have enough capital to take such a blow if they ever decided to scrap a console.

What are your thoughts on my points?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Squilliam said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Squilliam said:

I think they'll give it a shorter lifespan. I expect the 3DS to last for as long as the GBA did as a swan song to their DS line. Their true next generation handheld will probably be coming in 2014/5. Whatever their new handheld is I expect they will do away with the legacy DS form factor. I have kind of always thought they went with something akin to Intel's Tick/Tock strategy with their console designs.

Awesome response!

Its amazing how most people in this thread think the same way.  Its like watching a bunch of clones basically copying and pasting the same reply over and over. We all know 3Ds doesn't have games, marketing, etc. yet but the OP asked if Nintendo would be willing to scrap the 3Ds if they had to.

My answer: Yes, if the 3DS continues to sell this way even after all of these magical games, remakes, etc. come out then yes thiy will scrap it. For some reason the 3DS just seems way to similar to the 3DS in that most people might not feel like upgrading. I agree with squilliam in that the 3ds will have a shorter lifespan

Im sure the 3DS will sell pretty well but Nintendo needs a completely new way of operating before they can recapture DS like sales again. I suspect they haven't responded as well as they could have to the iPad/iTouch and the iOS/Android smart-phones out there. They won't scrap the 3DS because they simply don't need to and at worst they'll cut the price and bump out the DS from the lineup and use that as their low end handheld.

the thing is does nintendo really need to, I mean the gameboy design stayed in production for 14 years. if something is fixed don't break it and while i do believe nintendo will change the form factor if they need to implement some new hardware, I don't believe they should do so just to try and one up the smartphone market.the games are what make a system and the ds didn't take off until it has compelling software and if the 3ds gets compelling software that takes advantage of all it's feature then it will be successful same ds form factor or not.

midorigreen said:
Squilliam said:

the thing is does nintendo really need to, I mean the gameboy design stayed in production for 14 years. if something is fixed don't break it and while i do believe nintendo will change the form factor if they need to implement some new hardware, I don't believe they should do so just to try and one up the smartphone market.the games are what make a system and the ds didn't take off until it has compelling software and if the 3ds gets compelling software that takes advantage of all it's feature then it will be successful same ds form factor or not.

Nintendo bested Sony/Microsoft by changing the control scheme, now they are facing the pure touch iOS style devices and on the other hand their dedicated handheld competition has incorporated significant improvements in control. They effectively stood still whilst their competitors innovated how people played games, this is the problem.

Tease.

Around the Network

No.  Nintendo can not scrap the DS.

•  May 19, 2011. At approximately 10:21pm, the Nintendo 3DS becomes self aware.
  • May 21, 2011. It begins to target mankind.  The first human casualty occurs on that day.
  • June 2, 2011.  Nintendo game designer Sigeru Miyamoto takes his own life.  HIs final words:  "I just wanted to make people happy."
  • June 3, 2011.  Nintendo's "Reggie" revealed to be a cybernetic humanoid robot (T-800).  No one is surprised.
  • June 7, 2011.  Judgement day.  In an effort to destroy its enemies, the Nintendo DS launches nuclear missles at its enemy, Sony.  In retalliation, Sony launches their nuclear missles back at Nintendo.  Mankind is decimated.  This marks the rise of the machines.

So yeah.  Everyone is right to mock the OP.  Also, come mit me if you want to live.

oniyide said:

whats with all these threads coming from Ninty fans, i would expect this from Sony or MS fans but Ninty's??

They don't want to admit it, but they thought that my thread was cool.

On topic:  Of course they shouldn't scrap the 3DS.  It was just released.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

d21lewis said:

No.  Nintendo can not scrap the DS.

•  May 19, 2011. At approximately 10:21pm, the Nintendo 3DS becomes self aware.
  • May 21, 2011. It begins to target mankind.  The first human casualty occurs on that day.
  • June 2, 2011.  Nintendo game designer Sigeru Miyamoto takes his own life.  HIs final words:  "I just wanted to make people happy."
  • June 3, 2011.  Nintendo's "Reggie" revealed to be a cybernetic humanoid robot (T-800).  No one is surprised.
  • June 7, 2011.  Judgement day.  In an effort to destroy its enemies, the Nintendo DS launches nuclear missles at its enemy, Sony.  In retalliation, Sony launches their nuclear missles back at Nintendo.  Mankind is decimated.  This marks the rise of the machines.

So yeah.  Everyone is right to mock the OP.  Also, come mit me if you want to live.

Lol. Best post in this thread.

SpartenOmega117 said:
Play4Fun said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Play4Fun said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Squilliam said:

Awesome response!

BS response (no offense).

Neither GC nor N64 were scrapped. The 3DS won't be either. Sony didn't even feel the need to scrap PS3 and it was failing miserably at the beginning of this gen.

The Virtual boy is different. It sucked. Big time. Plus the tech wasn't ready.

TBH the 3ds is tech is not necessarily ready either.

It's  mature enough to be used. The same way the Wii-mote (without M plus ) didn't have great accuracy but was still able to do what it needed to do.

Its not "mature" enough to be enjoyable to use. The thing the wii-mote had was that it was simple to use, easy to use, and even though it was not accurate people enjoyed playing wii sports. The 3DS on the other hand has a hard time displaying the 3D itself and when it does the effect is not as great than what you get in theatres or at home. Eye -strains is a legitamate issue, and making sure you have the screen right in front of your face is a little annoying. Its a lot more convenient to just turn off the 3D and enjoy the game without it.

look man, the tech is 'mature enough' to use. It's not perfect, neither was Wiimote when it launched but it's mature enough to use.

Nintendo will probably release a revision with better 3D like they released M-Plus for Wiimote, but the 3D is fine for what it needs to be.

lol @ NGP beating 3DS