By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo scrap 3DS?

Could Nintendo scrap 3DS?

Yes, they could rely on D... 39 21.31%

No, they couldn't rely o... 144 78.69%

Total:183

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*takes a breath*00000000000000000000000000000000MED

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Play4Fun said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Squilliam said:

I think they'll give it a shorter lifespan. I expect the 3DS to last for as long as the GBA did as a swan song to their DS line. Their true next generation handheld will probably be coming in 2014/5. Whatever their new handheld is I expect they will do away with the legacy DS form factor. I have kind of always thought they went with something akin to Intel's Tick/Tock strategy with their console designs.

Awesome response!

Its amazing how most people in this thread think the same way.  Its like watching a bunch of clones basically copying and pasting the same reply over and over. We all know 3Ds doesn't have games, marketing, etc. yet but the OP asked if Nintendo would be willing to scrap the 3Ds if they had to.

My answer: Yes, if the 3DS continues to sell this way even after all of these magical games, remakes, etc. come out then yes thiy will scrap it. For some reason the 3DS just seems way to similar to the 3DS in that most people might not feel like upgrading. I agree with squilliam in that the 3ds will have a shorter lifespan

BS response (no offense).

Neither GC nor N64 were scrapped. The 3DS won't be either. Sony didn't even feel the need to scrap PS3 and it was failing miserably at the beginning of this gen.

The Virtual boy is different. It sucked. Big time. Plus the tech wasn't ready.

TBH the 3ds is tech is not necessarily ready either.

It's  mature enough to be used. The same way the Wii-mote (without M plus ) didn't have great accuracy but was still able to do what it needed to do.

Its not "mature" enough to be enjoyable to use. The thing the wii-mote had was that it was simple to use, easy to use, and even though it was not accurate people enjoyed playing wii sports. The 3DS on the other hand has a hard time displaying the 3D itself and when it does the effect is not as great than what you get in theatres or at home. Eye -strains is a legitamate issue, and making sure you have the screen right in front of your face is a little annoying. Its a lot more convenient to just turn off the 3D and enjoy the game without it.

I think this is a fair question, so long as you're thinking hypothetically.

Honestly, since Nintendo software sells so much, they could likely stop producing any hardware at all and still be in the top three earners in the industry.  So yes, in this hypothetical situation, they could stop production of the 3DS.

HOWEVER: They would have to be prepared to never have a meaningful third party game on any of their platforms ever again.  If third parties threw all this well-publicized support behind it just for Nintendo to only produce 10-15 million units, I don't even want to imagine the shitstorm that would ensue.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:

I think this is a fair question, so long as you're thinking hypothetically.

Honestly, since Nintendo software sells so much, they could likely stop producing any hardware at all and still be in the top three earners in the industry.  So yes, in this hypothetical situation, they could stop production of the 3DS.

HOWEVER: They would have to be prepared to never have a meaningful third party game on any of their platforms ever again.  If third parties threw all this well-publicized support behind it just for Nintendo to only produce 10-15 million units, I don't even want to imagine the shitstorm that would ensue.

If that happens we can all safely say Karma exists xDDDD

NYANKS said:

I think this is a bit alarmist.

Way to soon in my opinion.  Sales will most likely follow the games.  This is a big gap of not many gams for sure, but you have to think sales will follow the usualy Pokemons and Mario Karts.  Nintendo deserves the benefit of the doubt with handhelds lol.

It seems being early alarmist is becoming a posting trend.  Something does well and tails off, the DOOOOOMED thread questions come out.  Kinect hd this, and now 3DS.  Add talk about X, Y, or Z leaving the videogame console business to.  This is done early in the lifecycle to.

Around the Network

People really need to learn some patience. The device just launched. It was a non-holiday launch at the time of the year when game sales usually aren't that high to begin with. Combine that with no MUST HAVE software just yet. Give the system time.  If it doesn't sell during the Christmas holidays then there should be some concern. At the moment people shouldn't be worried.

this is way too soon, if it was selling below 50K, then yes, this might be warrented, but until then, the 3DS will be fine, afterall, there aren't even any system sellers on the handheld yet

No, I think it would be too damaging to scrap it. They may be forced to salvage it though with a radical revision (possibly one without 3D but their previous decisions have made that difficult).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Joelcool7 said:

... Assuming Nintendo can't turn 3DS around and NGP kills it off this winter...

This is the most unlikely screnario imo. If anything, smartphones and tablet PCs will kill off both, 3DS and NPG.