By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can a bad box cover art hurt game sales?

This is something that went trough my mind as I was playing The Saboteur.  I was thinking how great a game this is and wondered how it did in sales.  Well, it sold poorly: 422,722 units worldwide.  But, the game is really very good.  And then, I looked at the art cover.

I don't know.  It just doesn't work for me.  Nothing eye catching or interesting about it.  So, what do you think?  And do you know any other cover art that don't do justice to a great game?

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

Around the Network

Well I dunno.

Like I remember Ueda san saying that he thinks of the reasons why ICO didn't sell well in America was because of the really crap boxart.

So it could be but I don't think that could be a real big factor...

well I dunno... it can have the opposite effect

Which really complicatedly creates the effect. I don't think people will not buy a game cause the cover is dumb if they were going to buy it in the first place. I think people will buy it because it looks cool, meaning the cover/box. And if the cover sucks you don't get any sales from it looking cool.

Just an idea anyways.

I bought final fantasy VIII PC cause it had a holofoil cover, a girl that wasn't poorly preportioned and ifrit on the back... and the love affair began!

Yeah, somebody already mentioned Ico, and when I was a kid and not into videogame furums I just bought whatever game looked cool, and by that I mean the box cover and screens in the back of it, and I think it might be reasonable to think there are boys that do the same, thats why I think it does matter.

The mediocre Mercs 2 killed Sabotage.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
pezus said:

The Saboteur boxart looks very cool imo

I agree. Its kind of intriguing. I do think that bad box art can affect sales. Its the first thing you see (if your at a stor) so its basicaly a games first impression to make on people (assuming you shop in stores and dont pre research a game)

Dead Space Extraction was doomed from the moment people found out it was going to be on rails, but I am certain that its horrible cover art made things even worse.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Sure it can.  Anything people pick from a shelf is affected by the packaging.  If I remember ICO back on the PS2 was judged to have been impacted by its terrible (and it was terrible) US cover art.

But this isn't about games so much as the general impact packaging, advertising and look has on purchasing decisions - which can be very large for the majority of more casual shoppers.  By casual I mean someone going into a game store and perusing the shelves for something that interests them vs reading lots of reviews, etc. not casual as in the dreaded "casual" gamer.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

that's just an excellent boxart

pastro243 said:

Yeah, somebody already mentioned Ico, and when I was a kid and not into videogame furums I just bought whatever game looked cool, and by that I mean the box cover and screens in the back of it, and I think it might be reasonable to think there are boys that do the same, thats why I think it does matter.

Same here