By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anybody realized Wii2 means X360 can be this gen's best selling in USA?

possible but I think very unlikely

Even if Cafe comes out say April 2012 at the earliest, the360 will only be able to close the gap minimally by that time because the Wii is still selling decently, not great, but enough not to be getting totally blown away

Second, the Wii is not going to be like the gamecube where once the successor comes outthe console pretty much dies. The Wii is very popular and will continue to sell even after Cafe has been released. It will not have the shelf life that PS2 has been enjoying, but it will survive for some time into Cafe's life.

However, I do think that 360 can significantly cut the lead by the time that their new console hits. If it's true that it comes out sometime in 2014 then I can see the gap between Wii and 360 in the US at about 3.5-4 Million.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

Around the Network

I don't think it will, but I do think it'll come a lot closer.

The Wii will hit $99 at some point and still be viable to many people such as small children who are just receiving their first gaming system or older folks, etc.  The 360 will likely never appeal to the market in that way, even at $99 itself.

Chrizum said:
Zlejedi said:
snakefisher said:

i think it could very well sell more hardware but i dont know about software.People on wii mostly buy hot garbage they think will shrink their fat ass

Software is already on par for both of them since Wii number includes around 60 milion of WS and WSR in it.

Why wouldn't those be counted? All bundled games are counted for 360 too.

But 360 software bundles are an itty bitty fraction of Wii bundles. You can't ignore Wii's software numbers are bloated with free and other other dirt cheap software. It makes the Wii seem like a better software mover than it actually is.

Given the significant difference in userbase and bundled games. Its surprising to see Wii struggles to outsell either HD console.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

You can predict but thats all it is a prediction you likely going to be wrong but i guess people like to be heard.

phinch1 said:

Not really as im sure the Wii will still sell a lot, it's not going to just dissapear, im not expecting a ps2 like stick around but its still easy money for nintendo

even if the wii keeps on selling the 360 is already outselling it and by a good margin. March NPD had the 360 outselling the wii 430K to 290K.  those margins are just going to get even worse after the wii2 releases.  i'm with the OP ... it's not just possible it is probable.

Around the Network

Once the Project Cafe console, whatever it is called, hits this is not relevant to really anything.  Unless one insists on videogame console sales as some sort of sport, it doesn't matter.  Anything about a big deal for sales relating to console is that it connects to whether or not a console will get support, and the company making it stays in business.  Anything else doesn't matter.   If I am wrong, what does anyone win if console X or Y ends up leading in sales?

richardhutnik said:

Once the Project Cafe console, whatever it is called, hits this is not relevant to really anything.  Unless one insists on videogame console sales as some sort of sport, it doesn't matter.  Anything about a big deal for sales relating to console is that it connects to whether or not a console will get support, and the company making it stays in business.  Anything else doesn't matter.   If I am wrong, what does anyone win if console X or Y ends up leading in sales?

1. this is a sales site filled with people interested in sales.  not a sport but it is a hobby.

2. a cookie ... but you have to understand it is a really delicious cookie.

I don't see it. Even if the Wii stopped selling right this second it'd take over a year of current sales for the 360 to overtake it. If the Wii remains within 30-50k of the 360 this year and the next, the most the gap can narrow after that is 4.5mil in the next 2 and a half years, and that's absolutely best-case scenrio if the Wii remains 50k behind the 360 every week for the next 2 years, which is only just half of that gap disappeared. Even if that ridiculously unlikely scenario DOES occur, the 360 will likely be dead by midway through 2013 and be selling around 30k in Americas a week, even if the Wii stopped selling at all, it'd require up to 2017 to beat its sales. Those odds are just too unlikely for me.

So no. It can close the gap, but not overtake the Wii.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

I don't see it. Even if the Wii stopped selling right this second it'd take over a year of current sales for the 360 to overtake it. If the Wii remains within 30-50k of the 360 this year and the next, the most the gap can narrow after that is 4.5mil in the next 2 and a half years, and that's absolutely best-case scenrio if the Wii remains 50k behind the 360 every week for the next 2 years, which is only just half of that gap disappeared. Even if that ridiculously unlikely scenario DOES occur, the 360 will likely be dead by midway through 2013 and be selling around 30k in Americas a week, even if the Wii stopped selling at all, it'd require up to 2017 to beat its sales. Those odds are just too unlikely for me.

So no. It can close the gap, but not overtake the Wii.

This. I honestly do not see Xbox 360 or even PS3 to ever overtake the Wii. Truth of the matter is, Wii sales are actually not as bad as many people think. Worst case scenario for Wii is if it were to completely stop selling now and PS360 sell 17million each for each year for two years, they'll just match the Wii numbers -- a virtual tie for all

EDIT: OMG, I completely misunderstood the whole thing. Well..., regardless, I still agree with Conegamer.

Mr Puggsly said:

But 360 software bundles are an itty bitty fraction of Wii bundles. You can't ignore Wii's software numbers are bloated with free and other other dirt cheap software. It makes the Wii seem like a better software mover than it actually is.

Given the significant difference in userbase and bundled games. Its surprising to see Wii struggles to outsell either HD console.

Well the 360 has had holiday bundles with 2 games since 2007, and they were at least available for the three biggest sales months of the year.  I think 2010 was the only spring bundle though.  A lot less than the Wii (especially if you include things like Wii Play), but it still is a significant amount.

KylieDog said:

Optional bundle vs mandatory bundle.  One you chose to buy, the other is just part of the console package.

Outside of bundles like the RE5 one and MW2, etc.  The holiday bundles were essentially mandatory.