By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SuperChunk's further N6 controller analysis

Preface: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=127423

In my previous thread I mentioned that the next system will have the rumored controller with a high quality screen (i.e. the 3DS top screen) as well as a wiimote in the box. This way its still a fully functional Wii plus the new system's horsepower and base controller that's the same as other consoles so 3rd parties have easier access.

Now I was thinking more on the streaming name and concept as well as the Project cafe name. What is in a cafe that made Nintendo pick that as a project name? Well a cafe is a very social place where all the groups may be doing something together or very likely doing their own separate things while using the free wifi.

So, with that this is what I see as Nintendo's big push for this system.

Imagine you have two kids. You are sitting in the front room, where the Nintendo Stream is also located. You are watching Sunday NFL and rooting on your Bears to take the Superbowl. Little Timmah playing Call of Duty 8: Kill the Foriegners on the Stream.... but how can you watch the game at the same time on same screen? That's where the screen on the controller comes in.

Not only does it allow better options for multiplayer and menu systems, it also allows you to utilize the system without the need to use the TV. Timmah can play his game, while dad watches real football, AND his sister Penny watches some cartoons off of Netflix that is also streaming from Stream to her controller.

See it? This is the future. Nintendo is taking the portability from tons of phones and tablets and giving that streaming capability through its systems along with far superior gaming and real controls. Its providing a home console experience in a nearly portable manner. Its allowing everyone to enjoy the same system in the way they want to at the exact same time without the need rely on others directly.

Its created a home cafe.

This fits my previous thread perfectly with the system having full media capabilities, full online, full games from Nintendo and 3rd parties, full motion as well as standard controller, full android/ios capabilities (I think Android Apps may very well come to the system), etc.

E3 2011 and/or 2012 (depending on this being playable this year) is going to be 2006 all over again.

EDIT: To add a more realistic example from my own life.....

My wife can be watching her insanely annoying crap TV while I play Zelda or something else, then when her show is over, I can change the TV back to my game and turn off the screen on the controller.

Around the Network

Excactly!

I can see it.

has that feature been confirmed?  assuming yes it will be interesting so see how the mainstream reacts to it.  personally i couldn't care less, i have multiple tvs .. one for tv and one for games, both can do netflix/movies.  also remember, the "streaming" controller won't be for motion games meaning a lot of the "expanded" audience won't care for it.

and as nintendo fans have always told me -- it is all about the games.  third party support that is mostly ports of ps360 games isn't very compelling either.

kitler53 said:

has that feature been confirmed?  assuming yes it will be interesting so see how the mainstream reacts to it.  personally i couldn't care less, i have multiple tvs .. one for tv and one for games, both can do netflix/movies.  also remember, the "streaming" controller won't be for motion games meaning a lot of the "expanded" audience won't care for it.

and as nintendo fans have always told me -- it is all about the games.  third party support that is mostly ports of ps360 games isn't very compelling either.

While the screen has not been confirmed, I think with as much out there on it, it should be.

You're right with multiple TVs... however, that means having to have multiple consoles. But with this idea, one console can benefit multiple people at same time.

Motion games will still be included as I think it will be fully compatable with current Wiimote and many of the highest selling games (like NSMB) don't need motion.. an accelerometer is all that was needed... and that could have been a button really.

As for the games, yes it is all about the games. However, having a bigger selection is never bad. Adding in the best of the 3rd parties along with Nintendo's own greatness means a perfect system. It won't be simply, crappy, low-end ports. It would be more like PS360 now, nearly identical ports with potentially a few extra features to take advantage of the screen.

kitler53 said:

Who's to say that grandma can't be playing Stream (ugh)  Sports on the big screen while I'm playing Contra on the  controller screen?  I doubt N6 will have the processing power necessary to run two completely different pieces of software, even if one is a wii-ware style application.  If does have this sort of functionality though, I think it's pretty game changing.

I also don't understand why everyone seems to think this controller will scare away the casual crowd.  People LOVE tablets.  I always see people gaming on their I-Pads, and a large segment of them are young kids, women, and older folk.  It really seems like a device meant to appeal to casual gamers more than the "hardcore,"  but with the face buttons and analog sticks really being more of a concession so that the N6 doesn't get left behind by third parties.

Around the Network

Are the controllers going to have built in headphone jacks and/or speakers?

superchunk said:
kitler53 said:

While the screen has not been confirmed, I think with as much out there on it, it should be.

i meant the streaming to controllers part lol, i've pretty much taken the screen part as fact at this point. xD

You're right with multiple TVs... however, that means having to have multiple consoles. But with this idea, one console can benefit multiple people at same time.

eh?  unless nintendo abandons disks althougth you'll all still have to be playing the same game (only one disk in the console at a time) and even with digital i doubt nintendo can get enough power at an affordable level to run and stream multiple games at a time to the controllers.  unless of course each controller is a full console on it's own meaning controllers will cost >$150 a piece which would be a be fail imo.

Motion games will still be included as I think it will be fully compatable with current Wiimote and many of the highest selling games (like NSMB) don't need motion.. an accelerometer is all that was needed... and that could have been a button really.

what i meant is the wiimote can be used with the new hardware but you'll still need the TV to use them. the streaming to the controllers functionallity you are touting can't be used for wiimote based games. 

As for the games, yes it is all about the games. However, having a bigger selection is never bad. Adding in the best of the 3rd parties along with Nintendo's own greatness means a perfect system. It won't be simply, crappy, low-end ports. It would be more like PS360 now, nearly identical ports with potentially a few extra features to take advantage of the screen.

again, great for wii-only owners who upgrade but for the 100M plus ps360 owners it's not compelling.  as a lot of wii owners already have a ps360 in their household the appeal seems limited.

see above  -- and yes you can call me a naysayer.

Wouldn't this diminish the idea of having a handheld?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Spazzy_D said:
kitler53 said:

Who's to say that grandma can't be playing Stream (ugh)  Sports on the big screen while I'm playing Contra on the  controller screen?  I doubt N6 will have the processing power necessary to run two completely different pieces of software, even if one is a wii-ware style application.  If does have this sort of functionality though, I think it's pretty game changing.

I also don't understand why everyone seems to think this controller will scare away the casual crowd.  People LOVE tablets.  I always see people gaming on their I-Pads, and a large segment of them are young kids, women, and older folk.  It really seems like a device meant to appeal to casual gamers more than the "hardcore,"  but with the face buttons and analog sticks really being more of a concession so that the N6 doesn't get left behind by third parties.

well, if the rumors are right it isn't a tablet but rather a tablet with two analogs, a d-pad, four action buttons, shoulder pads, and home buttons.  honestly it looks more like a 360 controller than a tablet.  for the casuals it's pretty scary stuff.

i actually do agree with what you are saying here. if you could just turn on the console and play a game on the controller or watch netflix or watch a blu ray or dvd or whatever (if the system will allow movies to be played) while someone else is using the tv that would be pretty awesome. you could play touch games like on current phones, or virtual console games, or gamecube games or standard controller project cafe games, including playing 4 player games without even needing a tv. that would indeed be incredible.

still though, not advancing the motion technology of the wii would be a pretty bad idea. i mean the motion plus is good but it is in no way good enough motion tech to hold out for a whole other generation. i'm sure the other two next gen systems will have much better motion controls than wii motionplus. i mentioned, in i think your other thread, that the ideal controller would be advanced motion tech where you can combine the two motion controllers to form a starndard controller so there is no need to have 4 motion controllers for each hand plus 4 standard controllers.

But seeing as how these hd screens on controllers rumors are so persistent i'm guessing they are true. so what about if you had advanced motion controllers, a step up from the motion plus, in both the lefthanded and righthanded controllers plus IR pointers in both as well and there was a slot on the inside face of each controller where this HD screen would plug into so when it is connected in thats your "standard" controller! That way you have advanced motion controllers ready for a much better generation of motion control games, plus a standard controller, plus the HD (touch?)screen in the middle so that you can do all the things you suggested in your post superchunk, but its all in one controller!

granted it would be an expensive controller. but from what i've read the wiimote costs like $6 to produce or something crazy like that, so they have insane profit margins on the current motion tech. They could probably just sell this advanced motion/standard/HD touchscreen controller for like $60 at maybe a slight loss but then make it up with the price of the project Cafe system. I mean if Project Cafe is only a few times powerful than the ps360 it could reasonable sell with one controller for a small profit at a fall 2012 launch for $250. but $350 would be reasonable if they included a WiiSports like game plus extra to cover the expensive cost of the controllers. then by the time Project Cafe had to deal with the other next gen consoles the controller should be profitable as well as the system costing less to make so they could easily drop the price down to $300 if the other consoles launch at $400

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy