By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - America's greatest leader just declared his candidacy...

ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:
ManusJustus said:
HappySqurriel said:

So, your only objection with private management of lower courts is that it would be possible for a company to turn a profit? Do you also reject the concept of privately run grocery stores?

People can choose if they want to shop at a grocery store.  If a store has high prices or sells me sour milk, I can bring my business to another private grocerty store.  Enough people 'vote' against giving that store their business, then that store is no longer in business.

Public goods don't work that way.  Thats why its important to vote for a judge or vote for a politician who appoints a judge.

Whatever system you support, you should strive for it to be the best.  You are taking one idea that works in one place and trying to apply it to everything else, but the problem is that even though a method can work great in one situation it can fail miserabley in another.  You're like a carpenter who thinks he only needs one tool to build a house; the hammer works great nailing the floor down, but good luck trying to cut that board in half.

Ok, I figured it out. You love being ruled by people. Even if that person does terrible thing to you and the land you will accept that leader as your lord, even if he is only temporary till your next lord arrives.. You love the idea of a republic in which you can elect someone or someone can be elected to control you by someone else elected by people. Rather than actually standing up and taking command of your own life. And its entirely fine thinking this way, the only thing is you need people who will actually run things right and obviously the current system isn't exactly working.

One of least thought out arguments I have ever seeen on VGChartz.  Goods and services should be provided by the most econimically efficient means, for private goods that means that a grocery 'lord' controls the food I buy, for public goods that means a road 'lord' collects taxes I pay and builds roads with them.

grocery stores are just evolved farmers markets.... which are public services run by a private business or farmer. There is no real grocery "lord" as they are controlled overall on a farmer's ability to produce. And really taxes aren't completely needed to run a country. If defense, education, etc are all put into the private sector most management needs will be left to a few people who listen to the people of the country versus the hundreds currently working in the federal and state levels of government.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
ManusJustus said:

One of least thought out arguments I have ever seeen on VGChartz.  Goods and services should be provided by the most econimically efficient means, for private goods that means that a grocery 'lord' controls the food I buy, for public goods that means a road 'lord' collects taxes I pay and builds roads with them.

grocery stores are just evolved farmers markets.... which are public services run by a private business or farmer. There is no real grocery "lord" as they are controlled overall on a farmer's ability to produce. And really taxes aren't completely needed to run a country. If defense, education, etc are all put into the private sector most management needs will be left to a few people who listen to the people of the country versus the hundreds currently working in the federal and state levels of government.

Actually, there is a grocery lord. Its called the FDA and the USDA. They decide what you can and cannot do, which drives up the cost of goods. For example, you cannot sell unpasturized milk, and have sent people to jail over it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
ssj12 said:
ManusJustus said:

Actually, there is a grocery lord. Its called the FDA and the USDA. They decide what you can and cannot do, which drives up the cost of goods. For example, you cannot sell unpasturized milk, and have sent people to jail over it.

well Utah passed a law recently allowing the sale of unpasturized "raw" milk, so I'd say that they aren't monarchs by any means, they are just lords that think they own land that believes they can pass laws that even monarchs will obey. The monarchs (states), just need to wake up and control their own land and people again while not allowing the federal government to stand in their way (which the fed really doesn't have the power to do so).

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:

Yes it can work. It would work exactly how Anonymous works. You would have like-minded individuals group together to push for a common goal and fill a need in society. Transportation, schooling, etc would all be taken care of. Think of it as a return to guildship minus have lords and we would not be serfs.

That's not how the real world works.  If you want to build a road from point A to point B, you have to come up with funding.  I believe I linked to a simple economics website earlier.

Ya, make money out of thin air and devalue whatever currency there is at that time like the USA currently is! Brilliant.

Bartering is what would exist. You want a road, you barter how long you are going to build it.

I want some of whatever it is you've been smoking.  Okay, so lets say the economy needs a paved road to transport goods from Salt Lake City to St. George, Utah.  How does this road get built in your imaginary world?

http://www.economist.com/research/economics/alphabetic.cfm?term=marketfailure#marketfailure

In the real world (read link above), the private market would be unable to build a road, all there would be is a dirt trail.  Thats why the government has to tax people, then use taxes to fund such public goods like defense, roads, justice, and so forth.  There is a reason that there were no paved roads built between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Age of Industrialization.

ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:
ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:

Yes it can work. It would work exactly how Anonymous works. You would have like-minded individuals group together to push for a common goal and fill a need in society. Transportation, schooling, etc would all be taken care of. Think of it as a return to guildship minus have lords and we would not be serfs.

That's not how the real world works.  If you want to build a road from point A to point B, you have to come up with funding.  I believe I linked to a simple economics website earlier.

Ya, make money out of thin air and devalue whatever currency there is at that time like the USA currently is! Brilliant.

Bartering is what would exist. You want a road, you barter how long you are going to build it.

I want some of whatever it is you've been smoking.  Okay, so lets say the economy needs a paved road to transport goods from Salt Lake City to St. George, Utah.  How does this road get built in your imaginary world?

http://www.economist.com/research/economics/alphabetic.cfm?term=marketfailure#marketfailure

In the real world (read link above), the private market would be unable to build a road, all there would be is a dirt trail.  Thats why the government has to tax people, then use taxes to fund such public goods like defense, roads, justice, and so forth.  There is a reason that there were no paved roads built between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Age of Industrialization.

What a lucky quiescence. Free Talk Live happened to go over roads in a free market. 

http://www.freetalklive.com/content/podcast_2011_04_28

take a listen.

and just an fyi, the government is a monopoly. Just figured I'd let you know that.

also take a listen to this

http://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong.html

please, take your time learning that its ok to be wrong. I admit when I'm wrong, i'm wrong, but in this instance I know I'm right because I have facts behind me.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

What a lucky quiescence. Free Talk Live happened to go over roads in a free market. 

take a listen.

and just an fyi, the government is a monopoly. Just figured I'd let you know that.

please, take your time learning that its ok to be wrong. I admit when I'm wrong, i'm wrong, but in this instance I know I'm right because I have facts behind me.

Roads being provided by the private market is laughably stupid.

Here is a right-wing economics professor talking about Public Goods on a pre-Economics 101 level.

Governments rely on bureaucracy, respond to poorly informed voters, and have weak incentives to serve consumers. Therefore they produce inefficiently. Furthermore, politicians may supply public “goods” in a manner to serve their own interests rather than the interests of the public; examples of wasteful government spending and pork barrel projects are legion. Government often creates a problem of “forced riders” by compelling persons to support projects they do not desire.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/PublicGoods.html

He then goes on to explain why your economic ideas are asinine.

ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:

take a listen.

Here is a right-wing economics professor talking about Public Goods on a pre-Economics 101 level.

Governments rely on bureaucracy, respond to poorly informed voters, and have weak incentives to serve consumers. Therefore they produce inefficiently. Furthermore, politicians may supply public “goods” in a manner to serve their own interests rather than the interests of the public; examples of wasteful government spending and pork barrel projects are legion. Government often creates a problem of “forced riders” by compelling persons to support projects they do not desire.

If you look at projects like the John Murtha Airport (an airport that has received hundreds of millions of dollars of public money to provide a handful of flights at a cost far higher than driving) it is difficult to argue that is definition isn't accurate; at least in some ways.

ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:

take a listen.

you do realize that all construction companies hired to pave roads are private companies right? And there is no fundamental difference between paving a road and paving a driveway past length?

I have a limerock road next to my house, guess what, the DOT constantly hires a paving company to pave the road several times a year to grate it. Due to the piss-poor money management of the DOT the road could have been paved 5 years ago and included minor repair work if needed and saved money. The government is inefficient at making market decisions.

Yes, we all have the option to hire a paving company to come in and pave the road for a fee. It is a high fee, but we are considering the cost. This is an example of the private sector discussing and considering paving a road (properly mind you). If we do this it means the private sector built a road that was controlled by the actions of the people and not the government. But this isn't all. Think about communities that are built by housing construction firms. All the roads built within the community are privately funded roads. The government has nothing to do with it past selling the land to the developers.

Paving an interstate highway or city block is easily managed by people and companies willing to fund the projects similar to the paving of the limerock road next to me. If we as residents feel like paying a few thousand each to have the entire road paved, since the DOT is to stupid to figure out they would save millions a year by doing this, we can. If two cities want a road placed between them or a road upgraded to more lanes, they can fund it both by the individual budgets, public, and private funding. Both cities then would price out multiple routes and make offers for the land for the roads, versus the worthless "lets just buy homes and land out and hope someone isn't a dick and jack up their asking price because they are one of the last people that needs to be bought out" that the DOT is notorious for doing. Once all offers from one route is accepted, than you buy the land to build it.

Did you even bother taking sometime out to listen that episode of Free Talk Live at all? Its not all about this topic we are discussing, but maybe you will understand different views on things. But if its "to long" for you I guess I could go edit the audio for you and give you just the part on roads if you want.

edit: I edited the audio anyway. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7OOK9DE     11mbs, 12 minutes long.

ssj12 said:

you do realize that all construction companies hired to pave roads are private companies right? And there is no fundamental difference between paving a road and paving a driveway past length?

I have a limerock road next to my house, guess what, the DOT constantly hires a paving company to pave the road several times a year to grate it. Due to the piss-poor money management of the DOT the road could have been paved 5 years ago and included minor repair work if needed and saved money. The government is inefficient at making market decisions.

Yes, we all have the option to hire a paving company to come in and pave the road for a fee. It is a high fee, but we are considering the cost. This is an example of the private sector discussing and considering paving a road (properly mind you). If we do this it means the private sector built a road that was controlled by the actions of the people and not the government. But this isn't all. Think about communities that are built by housing construction firms. All the roads built within the community are privately funded roads. The government has nothing to do with it past selling the land to the developers.

Paving an interstate highway or city block is easily managed by people and companies willing to fund the projects similar to the paving of the limerock road next to me. If we as residents feel like paying a few thousand each to have the entire road paved, since the DOT is to stupid to figure out they would save millions a year by doing this, we can. If two cities want a road placed between them or a road upgraded to more lanes, they can fund it both by the individual budgets, public, and private funding. Both cities then would price out multiple routes and make offers for the land for the roads, versus the worthless "lets just buy homes and land out and hope someone isn't a dick and jack up their asking price because they are one of the last people that needs to be bought out" that the DOT is notorious for doing. Once all offers from one route is accepted, than you buy the land to build it.

Did you even bother taking sometime out to listen that episode of Free Talk Live at all? Its not all about this topic we are discussing, but maybe you will understand different views on things. But if its "to long" for you I guess I could go edit the audio for you and give you just the part on roads if you want.

edit: I edited the audio anyway. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7OOK9DE     11mbs, 12 minutes long.

First of all, I'm an engineer and I have a good understanding of economics and construction. 

The cost of paving your road with asphalt (which is cheaper than a concrete alternative) is $10 per square foot, and thats a very cheap engineer's estimate.  If 200 ft of your property were connected to the road and you were to pay for the construction of a regular 25 ft two lane road, the cost would come out to $50,000.  In the completely free market world you argue for, you would be 'obliged' to pay $50,000 every 10 to 20 years to maintain the road in front of your house.

Now consider that in order for the road you live on to be usuable, by that I mean that the road is upkept so that vehicles can effectively operate on it at all times, everyone who lives along the road would have to freely agree to pay $50,000 every decade or so maintain the road.  They'd also have to freely agree on design standards such as superelevations, spiral curves, and so forth.  Not going to happen.

The only thing that works is to have the government tax everyone and then provide funding for roads.  And for the record, the DOT is saving themselves and taxpayers a lot of money by putting gravel road in front of your house, though I'm sure if you contact them and offer to donate a few million to cover the cost of paving the road with asphalt they'd accept it.

ManusJustus said:
ssj12 said:

First of all, I'm an engineer and I have a good understanding of economics and construction. 

The cost of paving your road with asphalt (which is cheaper than a concrete alternative) is $10 per square foot, and thats a very cheap engineer's estimate.  If 200 ft of your property were connected to the road and you were to pay for the construction of a regular 25 ft two lane road, the cost would come out to $50,000.  In the completely free market world you argue for, you would be 'obliged' to pay $50,000 every 10 to 20 years to maintain the road in front of your house.

Now consider that in order for the road you live on to be usuable, by that I mean that the road is upkept so that vehicles can effectively operate on it at all times, everyone who lives along the road would have to freely agree to pay $50,000 every decade or so maintain the road.  They'd also have to freely agree on design standards such as superelevations, spiral curves, and so forth.  Not going to happen.

The only thing that works is to have the government tax everyone and then provide funding for roads.  And for the record, the DOT is saving themselves and taxpayers a lot of money by putting gravel road in front of your house, though I'm sure if you contact them and offer to donate a few million to cover the cost of paving the road with asphalt they'd accept it.

lol, $50k for like 30 people plus others that build on the road amounts to what $1400- per person? That is actually really cheap.

And its not a fing gravel road, its limerock! Gravel would be acceptable! It is obvious that you aren't even reading what I am saying and just flashing lalalalallalalallaa infront of your eyes to cover the truth. And several people on my road plans on suing the county because of the road. It is killing people here because the dust is effecting our lungs.

Seriously, how did Roman create roads? The Roman government didn't, the people did. And the roads on trade routes? the traders guilds made them. Roman taxed their citizens for being in Roman, nothing more.