By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Cafe rumors "where there's smoke there's fire" and lots more

faifaifaifoooooi said:

Any chance all this rumoured 2008 tech can get close to this?

I have absolutely no idea, but no matter how Nintendo requests to tweak it for the N6, there's an interval of possibilities for the capabilities of the hardware based on its year. Or there is not?

One of the (potential) advantages of older technology in a game console is that it gives the manufacturer the opportunity to modify it over time to suit their needs; and this makes it difficult to anticipate what it can or cannot do without more information. While I would expect Nintendo to focus on maintaining/increasing the performance of the chip while reducing the energy consumption and cost, it is possible (however unlikely) that the GPU would be enhanced to perform in a similar range to high end GPUs.

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:

Thing is, Unigine Heaven tech demo looks better than that.

As for Froblins, I would need a better quality video, but it is just showcasing numerous AI NPC's and huge environments rather than a worked scene like that tech demo - which I stated in other thread that looks good indoors but it loses some of its charms on the outdoor environment. Just look at that 2D grass copy-pasted all around the field... Not to talk about the aparent lack of bump mapping on the ground, which makes it looks really flat. Those are the only 2 "flaws" I could point on that tech demo.

But if the next Nintendo console is really that better, sure that engine can become even more beautiful :)

Jesus, Man! you don't play the bump-mapping on the floor...

I think this is good enough, and then some!

(btw, watch froblins in 720p if you haven't already)

Well, you don't play graphics at all. I was just pointing the flaws on that scene.

faifaifaifoooooi said:
gumby_trucker said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:

As for Froblins, I would need a better quality video, but it is just showcasing numerous AI NPC's and huge environments rather than a worked scene like that tech demo - which I stated in other thread that looks good indoors but it loses some of its charms on the outdoor environment. Just look at that 2D grass copy-pasted all around the field... Not to talk about the aparent lack of bump mapping on the ground, which makes it looks really flat. Those are the only 2 "flaws" I could point on that tech demo.

But if the next Nintendo console is really that better, sure that engine can become even more beautiful :)

Well, you don't play graphics at all. I was just pointing the flaws on that scene.

Well if you have to bump map everything, you might be too focused on how the graphics are shown instead of what is being shown (the art versus the tools).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:
gumby_trucker said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:

Well if you have to bump map everything, you might be too focused on how the graphics are shown instead of what is being shown (the art versus the tools).

I know, but as long as the game is good, prettier graphics won't hurt. One of the major flaws we see on PS360 games is that sometimes the ground doesn't feel on par with the graphics on everything else. Many times it looks flat and boring, if you know what I mean.

Even in Crysis, which is a graphical best, you can see how bad the ground looks in some locations, specially the snowy part with flying aliens.

faifaifaifoooooi said:

I know, but as long as the game is good, prettier graphics won't hurt. One of the major flaws we see on PS360 games is that sometimes the ground doesn't feel on par with the graphics on everything else. Many times it looks flat and boring, if you know what I mean.

Even in Crysis, which is a graphical best, you can see how bad the ground looks in some locations, specially the snowy part with flying aliens

Dude, I know what you mean.. but, seriously... who gives a damn!?

I can think of a hundred things I'd rather have the developer/publisher spend their time and money on than effing ground textures...

You sure you're not in the wrong thread?

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:

Even in Crysis, which is a graphical best, you can see how bad the ground looks in some locations, specially the snowy part with flying aliens

Dude, I know what you mean.. but, seriously... who gives a damn!?

I can think of a hundred things I'd rather have the developer/publisher spend their time and money on than effing ground textures...

You sure you're not in the wrong thread?

I should add that ground textures have a lot of area to cover. This is something I've seen in loads of games. The characters have the best texture resolution (as in smallest texels) and best effects, and the ground has the least. Unless a lot of resourses were held back from everything else to make the ground just as good, the ground gets the sacrifice, due to spreading out.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs