By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Cafe rumors "where there's smoke there's fire" and lots more

faifaifaifoooooi said:

^

That alone is inconclusive, imo, since it isn't the card alone that makes such graphics.

My question to the tech people:  Is that rumoured R700 enough to pull of DX11 like goodies?

The R700 series is DX 10.1 though I've read this is a modified R700 which could mean anything from a new manufacturing process (28 nm instead of 55 or 40 nm used back when the GPU's first launched) to DX 11 API....or something completely different.

But keep in mind that a console doesn't need to have a Direct3D API to do DX type shaders.  The PS3 does't use a Direct3D API.

What you are asking is can it do programmable shaders like DX 11?  That is a possiblity depending on what AMD does with the chip and what backend Nintendo requests for it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
faifaifaifoooooi said:

^

That alone is inconclusive, imo, since it isn't the card alone that makes such graphics.

My question to the tech people:  Is that rumoured R700 enough to pull of DX11 like goodies?

The R700 series is DX 10.1 though I've read this is a modified R700 which could mean anything from a new manufacturing process (28 nm instead of 55 or 40 nm used back when the GPU's first launched) to DX 11 API....or something completely different.

But keep in mind that a console doesn't need to have a Direct3D API to do DX type shaders.  The PS3 does't use a Direct3D API.

What you are asking is can it do programmable shaders like DX 11?  That is a possiblity depending on what AMD does with the chip and what backend Nintendo requests for it.

Any chance all this rumoured 2008 tech can get close to this?

I have absolutely no idea, but no matter how Nintendo requests to tweak it for the N6, there's an interval of possibilities for the capabilities of the hardware based on its year. Or there is not?

lol

Smoke"where there is smoke there is fire"

faifaifaifoooooi said:
Viper1 said:

I have absolutely no idea, but no matter how Nintendo requests to tweak it for the N6, there's an interval of possibilities for the capabilities of the hardware based on its year. Or there is not?

The purpose of that video is to showcase the capabilities of DX11 and the game engine.  Mainly the tessellation.  And that's not rumored tech at all.  You can run that benchmark on your PC if you have a DX 11 capable GPU.
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

As for the N6 being capable of rendering scenes like that?  Hard to say but it's quite likely.   The R700 GPU family has the basic muscle and so long as the programmable shaders are modern (and not limited to just DX 10.1), it will render scenes like that.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

you guys should look at the "amd froblin demo" which runs on cards like the R740 and features tessellation, global illumination, huge polygon counts as well as AI running on the GPU.

I wouldn't mind having a Pikmin game like that

This video here is a bit choppy, but you get the idea...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

That soundtrack on the froblins tech demo made me remember about Final Fantasy Crystsl Chronicles for Gamecube...

On the actual demo itself, it has really low quality to judge, but I love the way the rocks just disappear when the froblins throw 'em onto the pile lol.

faifaifaifoooooi said:

Wow, the music was so goldeneye lol

I'd be pretty excited to see a demo that looks that good at E3

In the end, everybody has to remember the difference between a tech demo and a finished game.

For example, PS3 and 360 couldn't run Unigine Heaven or Froblins Demo in real time at 720p if I understand correctly, but can run this beauty just released by Tri-Ace at 30 FPS at 720p. Imagine a game looking like this running at 1080p with decent AA on a Nintendo platform...

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Thing is, Unigine Heaven tech demo looks better than that.

As for Froblins, I would need a better quality video, but it is just showcasing numerous AI NPC's and huge environments rather than a worked scene like that tech demo - which I stated in other thread that looks good indoors but it loses some of its charms on the outdoor environment. Just look at that 2D grass copy-pasted all around the field... Not to talk about the aparent lack of bump mapping on the ground, which makes it looks really flat. Those are the only 2 "flaws" I could point on that tech demo.

But if the next Nintendo console is really that better, sure that engine can become even more beautiful :)

faifaifaifoooooi said:

Thing is, Unigine Heaven tech demo looks better than that.

As for Froblins, I would need a better quality video, but it is just showcasing numerous AI NPC's and huge environments rather than a worked scene like that tech demo - which I stated in other thread that looks good indoors but it loses some of its charms on the outdoor environment. Just look at that 2D grass copy-pasted all around the field... Not to talk about the aparent lack of bump mapping on the ground, which makes it looks really flat. Those are the only 2 "flaws" I could point on that tech demo.

But if the next Nintendo console is really that better, sure that engine can become even more beautiful :)

Jesus, Man! you don't play the bump-mapping on the floor...

I think this is good enough, and then some!

(btw, watch froblins in 720p if you haven't already)

the original trolls