By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox not helped by it's "ethnicity"

I wonder if X360 sales will pickup in "Others" with the onset of a Democratic victory in November 2008?

Would be funny.

Around the Network

right. No chance in hell the ps3 is a better console without a big failure rate.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Grey Acumen said:
Why is it that through this thread, no one has actually mentioned that this is not Ethnicity, but Nationality?

+1 to Grey Acumen for finally correcting that.

It's not unheard of for a product to be shunned because of the country of origin. A ways back, and even now in some places, it was looked down upon in America to own a foreign car (especially Japanese made). 
That type of behavior aside, Microsoft's biggest image problem isn't that they're an American company, it's that they are viewed by many as the monopoly seeking Microsoft. One group that has this view is the many courts of law that have ruled against it in anti-competitive lawsuits brought by organizations like the EU.

StanGable said:
darendt said:
Since when is the 360 made in America. Its a US company, but not much is actually made here. That said, its pretty sad that our idiot president.....that bought his way into office......has made the American image this bad. Its to the point I would rather just say i'm canadian. From listening to people outside of the US, it seems the general perception is that we are a bunch of war hungry rednecks. While in the middle states that may hold true to an extent, its far from the countries overall attitude. Our system is just flaud, and the greed has made it impossible to make changes for the good. We are also apparently too scared to impeach the moron at the helm.....not that it would make much difference as his smarter idiot Cheney would replace him. I just hope our next president isnt a religious freak hell bent on world domination like this one. Then and only then can this country start to re-build its reputation in a positive light.

HA! You can tell right away when someone is actively involved in the politics of their country by the way they feel about their people in power. First and foremost, Bush, as much of a horrible image that he has for some of his decision he made cannot be completely blamed for our image. That's why we have a "senate" that is actually in control of the decisions of the people. If you actually cared to vote (which I'm assuming you don't) you would know that EVERYONE in this coutry is at fault for the image of our country. But the way I see it is more like we are actually pretty content with the way our country is going and for its decisions cuz otherwise we would not be electing our senators to make these decisions for us. If the country really wanted to impeach president Bush then we would vote the people to do that but guess what, we don't!

Yea I think our foreign policy and hatred of the USA is part of the reason but the main reason is Microsoft. People in Europe and Japan just hate that company because of the way they monopolize the operating systems on all the PCs and they dont want microsoft to do the same to the gaming industry.

LOL @ that. I'm tired of seeing Microsoft being blamed for monopolizing the PC market. It's not Microsoft fault's that they made a product that is easier to use than Linux or Mac. I personally hate both of them and I'm very happy with my Vista OP. Its simple and gets what I need done done fast. Am I supposed to learn how to use those 2 other systems just to help Microsoft become less rich? Heck no! And in reality, look what Apple is doing. They only sell their OP on their computers! That looks like a monopoly to me if you ask me! And unlike Sony, Microsoft is not coming with a way to monopolize the video industry with their own propetary blu-ray technology. They are just as power hungry for money and nothing else!

If we're so happy with congress, why does it have an approval rating that's consistently in the 30% range?

Also, I'm again going to correct you that Microsoft isn't ever in hot water because they put out what you call a great "OP."  The fact of the matter is they got where they are today by exercising deceptive and illegal business practices to gain a hold in the market, even when their product was inferior, and then forcing competition out of the market.  It's hard for anyone to do any better when there's no money in it.

Also, Blu Ray isn't proprietary.  If anything, it has much larger industry support than HD DVD does. Blu Ray has the consensus, HD DVD are the ones prolonging the war.  Let's think about who *really* wins on that one.  Hint: it's not the consumer.

It isn't much about "Made in America", it's more about brands.
There's simply more brand-loyalty in Europe, and Sony (not just PS) is a strong brand, because they've always supplied quality products ( great TVs, Stereos, Camera's and such ).

And Microsoft, a software company, sells an electronical device with a fail rate of 33%, damages discs, and is more expensive if you want the full package...

No thanks, we just spend the other 50 Euros to get the quality we're used to.

Around the Network

ermm I see everyone going "xbox doesn't sell because jesus made xbox and only americans like jesus"

How about it doesn't sell simply because it's an horrible machine (despite some good software) and it sells well in america just because it is an american console ?

But yeah america is the center of my world map, so if it doesn't sell outside of NA you must do your civil and christian duty, e-mail the president and tell him to start a random war and tell other territories how wrong they are and how america is the land of dream.

Wait I'm getting offtopic. On topic : World War 3 will start because of the next Xbox !!!!!!!! (that's just how cool america is ).

End of 2008 (31 dec.) prediction :

Wii : 53.5 Million

PS3 : 24 Million

X360 : 27 Million

Prediction started January 1st 2008.

The 360 doesnt sell as well in Europe (in fact it sells even less that the estimations of this page ) because some very clear factors .

First ,its brand name is bad .Microsoft operative systemas are bad ,they have security breaches ,virus can get inside easily ,have lots of spyware ,compatibility issues ,freezes ,etc etc .They imposed themselves by doing illegall practices and copying the Screens OS illegally and now they have that huge market but most people hate them all the same .And the 360 having around a 30% failure rate doesnt help .

Second ,no exclusive games .Most of its games are on the PC or will be on the PC sooner or later .Some japanese IP as Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey could change that but unfortounately those arent so hot.

Third ,the machine has a stupid name .Who would like to buy a box called X ?

Fourth ,online fees .Once added ,and adding them in the long term is what intelligent people do ,its way more expensive that the PS3 .Having a new receipt arriving at your bank account is simply people here dont like .Young people dont like it ,and parents buying the console for their children run scared when they hear MS and bank account in the same phrase .

Fifth ,the Playstation brand has a lot of loyalty and its consumers are happy .If they have been happy with the PS1 ,PS2 why would they change sides ?Specially since the PS3 has been out here for 9 months and since then it has showed a very good lineup ,exclusive titles ,the Playstation Eye ,the new Singstar ,PES 2008 etc etc .For people here the PS3 is delivering what it promised .Sony brand in general is well regarded too as quality products .The 600 pricetag was frightening enough to persuade many users and made them wait ....

....but as Willem told once it is at 399 most people just spend 50 euros plus and get the quality he expects without add ons,accesories ,online fees and all that rubbish .

@StanGable: You may want to change your opinion about operating systems after trying Ubuntu (don't know about Mac, haven't really tried one), it's superior to Vista in basically any way and much easier to use.
And M$ would want Windows to be the standard for gaming platforms, so they really are trying the same thing that they managed to do with operating systems with their business practices.
And about Bush, when he got elected for the first time, he got less voted than the other candidate, the supreme court eventually decided which one got elected.

@fkusumot: As far i've understood, the image of the car owners have changed drastically in the last decade/two decades. From what i know, today if you drive USA:n car in the US, you are either broke or gay, or perhaps even both.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Personally, I think most Americans hate Europe more than vice versa.

Wherever I go in America, there is a lot of contempt for Europe. Especially France which is like a running joke. A loty of Americans call many Europeans "fat" "stupid" "ignorant" and things like that. At least that's what I see. America sees Europe as too "closed minded" and "arrogant".

Europe needs to work on humbling itself so America will like it again.  

Most European cars are garbage. That is why they make up maybe 10% of sales. Just a few niche markets like BMW.

Until Europe can build a better product at a lower price, I do not see them dominating the same way American TV, movies, game consoles etc dominate Europe. Just the same way Americans do not watch crappy European films which are very low budget and bad, but Europeans love American films and film stars like Will Smith.

For example, there is no European game console. Americans probably wouldn't buy that since Europe kind of has a bad reputation. Europe has a lot of hedonists and muslims are starting to take over Europe. Also Europe is aging, and the economy of Europe grows very slow, often 2% or less, while unemployment is very high. As an investor, I steer clear of Europe stocks while American and many Eastern stocks are very good buys. Anyinvestor will tell you this. Europe just does not have good economy for many decades now. Taxes are too high and so forth.