By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

yep, its pretty much over... 51 38.64%

no way, price cuts mean 2011>2010. 61 46.21%

see results 20 15.15%

Total:132
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

Price cuts mean 2011>2010...

For PS3.

Not to Wii.

Maybe to 360.

and 2012?

All down.

I guess this year the PS3 will have its best year with price cut... Wii the worst regardless of what happens... and 360 with price cut and a better lineup reveled in could have its best year too.

Around the Network

I don't think it's market saturation. Sales will slow down but not decline 'rapidly' like the title suggest. A combination of factor is also contributing to the yearly decline.

* Weaken economy in developed European nations
* Disruptions in the Middle East & Egypt
* Price point still relatively high despite console's age

So to summerise: yes we've peaked, but we have not reach saturation and the decline will not be rapid. There might even be a rebound if any or all of the above issues are resolved.

It can't be saturated because the PS3 isn't first yet . . . 

ioi said:
kowenicki said:

nobody agrees with me!!  

again.

Not really sure what your point is? This gen is coming to an end - everything is slowing but price cuts will keep sales reasonably healthy for another year or two - there is a lot of room for price cuts in all cases. What will really accelerate declines is new consoles, Nintendo are obviously gearing up with Wii 2 and I imagine this time next year Sony and MS will be getting ready to reveal the new PS and Xbox so yes - things are obviously going to start slowing now, we have reached the peak - but this gen should push past 100m easily before it is through.

I think kowenicki is referring to how there are many still holding to the "80% of sales take place when a console reaches mass market pricing i.e. $199 or less".  So many are preaching that the PS3 hasn't seen its biggest sales yet because it hasn't reached that price point.

Yet what these numbers are showing is that, despite not reaching that price point, the total sales this gen are comparable or more than last gen and so saturation has reached a similar point to last gen without a mass market price point being reached for one of the consoles.

The poll results are showing that there are many on this site that still feel that the likely price cuts this year will cause a long and meaningful increase in sales despite the saturation.  Kow disagrees and that's what he means.

Is this right, kowenicki?

I believe this year may be on par with 2010 if all the consoles get a price cut...but after that its all downhill from there.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ioi said:
kowenicki said:

nobody agrees with me!!  

again.

Not really sure what your point is? This gen is coming to an end - everything is slowing but price cuts will keep sales reasonably healthy for another year or two - there is a lot of room for price cuts in all cases. What will really accelerate declines is new consoles, Nintendo are obviously gearing up with Wii 2 and I imagine this time next year Sony and MS will be getting ready to reveal the new PS and Xbox so yes - things are obviously going to start slowing now, we have reached the peak - but this gen should push past 100m easily before it is through.

well my points are; have all consoles peaked?  and will the decline be rapid?

I say yes and possibly.

Wii could well evaporate if the "new Wii" is priced well.

You are probably right about Wii if Wii 2 debuts again at 250-300$ Wii sales will collapse to PS2 levels but with $50 price cut this year and another price cut in 2012 X360 should keep it's yearly sales and PS3 will probably grow YOY.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I agree, unless price-cuts and bundles really work their magic. I don't see how at any rate they could be drastically up YoY, at most probably tied, but most likely double-figure drops all round after E3 without a price cut...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I think 2008 may have been the all time peak for the traditional industry worldwide actually given the fracturing that is coming since - cellphones, ipads, blackberries and so on. Industry is still growing, but by the time India and China are ready to support a large gaming population packing computer power into the proprietary boxes is going to look very silly.

On the main point, if you include DS / PSP with Wii / PS3 / X360 the peak was 2008. For just consoles, probably 2008-2009. The US & UK will slow less quickly as they have taken to Kinect strongly. Rest of the world has no late-cycle catalyst it looks like. 

Keep your eye on those annual console purchasing rates now - they're about 1.1 games annually for Wii and 1.6 / 1.4 for PS3 / X360 in Japan compared to about 2 for Wii / 3 for the HD systems in the West. Sony and Nintendo continue to see Japan as the barometer for the world market, so the timing of Japanese purchasing rates dropping below 1 game tends to be a good indicator of new console rumblings. DS had gotten to 1 game purchased annually in Japan last year, and thats when 3DS murmurs started in earnest.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Put a price cut on the Playstation 3 and I'll buy 2, Sony!

ioi said:

Well, I think you need to introduce the concept of how "useful" a console sale is to the manufacturer. For example, the first 5 million people to buy a 360 will spend a lot more money on games, XBL subscriptions, DLC, peripherals and so on than the last 5 million people who may just get a cheap 360 when it hits $99 in 2013 or whenever and pick up a couple of cheap casual games with it (much like the PS2 has been doing for the last 3-4 years). To me, in terms of contribution to the software / peripheral / digital market on the platform, the people who buy a system after it has peaked don't really add that much. By mid 2012 when Wii 2 will probably be out and the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles are announced and shown the "battle" in any meaninful way is really over - all developers are switching support to the new platforms and support will dry right up for this gen aside from a few yearly sports franchises, movie tie-ins and so on so at that point, whether PS3 or 360 manages to sell another 10-15m at cut price doesn't really mean much.

So I'm not sure that absolute system sales are really as important as everyone keeps making out. Of the 150m PS2s, over a third of them were sold after the peak at bargain prices so wouldn't have supported that much more software or other additional revenue. As soon as the software support starts to dry up it is really game over.

You just broke the hearts of all but the Nintendo faithful here with that impressive analysis, lol.  Great points all around.

Take a snapshot, folks.  The MEANINGFUL place of consoles this gen is a done deal.