By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

yep, its pretty much over... 51 38.64%

no way, price cuts mean 2011>2010. 61 46.21%

see results 20 15.15%

Total:132

I can see the PS3 breaking it's previous record of YTD in EMEAA ( Whatever it is ) with a $100 price cut this year.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
Notorius.A.i.G said:

I can see the PS3 breaking it's previous record of YTD in EMEAA ( Whatever it is ) with a $100 price cut this year.

$100?? i wonder if Sony can even do that... yes PS3 has reached its peak in EMEAA unfortunately =(

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

ioi said:

Well, I think you need to introduce the concept of how "useful" a console sale is to the manufacturer. For example, the first 5 million people to buy a 360 will spend a lot more money on games, XBL subscriptions, DLC, peripherals and so on than the last 5 million people who may just get a cheap 360 when it hits $99 in 2013 or whenever and pick up a couple of cheap casual games with it (much like the PS2 has been doing for the last 3-4 years). To me, in terms of contribution to the software / peripheral / digital market on the platform, the people who buy a system after it has peaked don't really add that much. By mid 2012 when Wii 2 will probably be out and the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles are announced and shown the "battle" in any meaninful way is really over - all developers are switching support to the new platforms and support will dry right up for this gen aside from a few yearly sports franchises, movie tie-ins and so on so at that point, whether PS3 or 360 manages to sell another 10-15m at cut price doesn't really mean much.

So I'm not sure that absolute system sales are really as important as everyone keeps making out. Of the 150m PS2s, over a third of them were sold after the peak at bargain prices so wouldn't have supported that much more software or other additional revenue. As soon as the software support starts to dry up it is really game over.

But to quantify how little or how much the "cheap" users contribute to total HW and SW sales we'll have to compare total HW and SW sales before and after reaching bargain price, and it's not enough, we'll have to check whether tie ratio at end of life will be higher or lower than  when premium price ended and bargain price started. And it won't be a precise estimate anyway, as we won't know how many games will have been bought by old users during the second phase of console life. But anyhow yes, it's very likely that earlier adopters will reach higher tie ratios on average, and 100% sure that at end of console life they'll have paid per head more for every premium service available since launch. This said, any company that haven't exclusivity as a selling point can't ignore the low end of its potential user base, but they can always cater for them keeping on selling the old gen after next gen launches and offering them a good and wide range of bargain editions.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think there are some factors suggesting there's a bit to run yet and it's not all doom and gloom from here until Wii2:

Wii's blue ocean thingy, meaning a lot of Wii's were sold to people who've never owned a gaming console before.

Multi-console ownership is possibly (probably?) higher this gen than previously. Again it's down to Wii. Wii was bought "for the family", HD console bought for the "gamer(s)"

Also what's the situation with the number of markets in which the XB was sold compared to 360? Is the 360 on sale in more countries than XB?

I also think Pachter might have a point about people waiting for the right price point to "upgrade" from the Wii to a HD console. I know it's a terrible phrase, but I can't think of a different one at the moment. Anyway, with HD console price cuts there might be a few million people deciding to go from Wii to HD. However, if Wii2 is announced this year and launched in 2012 then this will cut many of the "upgraders" out of the PS360 market because they'll decide to wait for Wii2, as long as it's close enough in price to PS360 (300 Euro's).

All that being said I think the peak year for all of this gen's consoles is past. PS3 might come close, but it won't get over the line.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

well price cuts and efforts to make gaming bigger in areas such as china would help a lot. their are currently 7 to 11 million dota players in china. the country can become a big gaming one. all we need are the big 3 to make an effort.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I think the price cuts on all 3 systems will keep sales close to 2010. Wii is going to drop to $150 I think and that's the magic number usually for huge sales. The XBox 360 will drop to $150 as well with their Arcade and $250 for the 250GB XBox 360 and $350 for the XBox 360/Kinect bundles. I expect the Kinect will drop to $100 or $125  by the end of the year. Sony will most likely follow suit with similar price cuts to the XBox 360. This will move systems and eventually more a lot more software at the end of the year.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Sounds pretty likely to me that they will all continue to fall (save for the 3DS, of course) from here on out.

gustave154 said:
Notorius.A.i.G said:

$100?? i wonder if Sony can even do that... yes PS3 has reached its peak in EMEAA unfortunately =(

My bad on the wording. I might IF it drops by $100.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

@ioi Sales late in a gen can still mean a lot. Just look at PS2. It must cost Sony so little to produce that thing by now that even with almost no SW sales they must be raking in a very pretty penny from it.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

kowenicki said:

EMEAA sales numbers:

PS2 XBOX GameCube = 76.43m  

PS3 360 Wii = 77.21m

This weeks YOY comparison:

Wii: DOWN 55%

PS3: DOWN 32%

360: DOWN 23%

PSP: DOWN 68%

DS: DOWN 67% (even adding DS and 3DS together its still down by 11%)

So since now after adjustment we now know that PS3, PSP and X360 were actually above 2010 levels can we safely conclude that there's still plenty of space for this generation to grow  for both Sony and Microsoft.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB