By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

EMEAA this gen > last gen.... all down hill rapidly from here on?

yep, its pretty much over... 51 38.64%

no way, price cuts mean 2011>2010. 61 46.21%

see results 20 15.15%

Total:132

I really want next gen to start like next year.

Around the Network

This is a difficult year to predict until we see more announcements from the big 3 at E3. As we know every year new suprises can change the landscape. I am certain we will see price cuts from all 3 on the major consoles. My guess is $150 Wii, $150 4GB X360/$250 250GB X360(possible they may announce upgrade from 250GB to 320GB with price cut.), and $250 160GB PS3/ $350 320 GB PS3 (Sony could also upgrade HDD space while also cutting price.).

Possible E3 accouncements:

Nintendo: Wii price cut. Wii 2 console specs and design for sure/ expected release date as well as some luanch titles. Also more info on upcoming games such as Zelda Skyward sword. And announcements for new 3DS titles/Wii titles (although new Wii titles may be few as they will start focusing more on Wii 2 info.).

Sony: PS3 price cut. NGP annoucments/launch titles and specs. New PS3/PS3 Move launch titles. Continued talk of new content using 3D. More PSN content/ new PSN features.

Microsoft: X360 Price Cut. Announcments of new Kinect titles/new exclusives (codename Kingdoms and others). Announcements of new Xbox live content and features(could be introducing xbox live TV programming).

All in all I think we will see an E3 with high focus on new content and new game titles that we dont even know about yet. I will give a prediction on what the final sales will look like for Hardware in 2011.

2010 Final sales:

DS 21.33
Wii 18.07
PS3 14.45
X360 13.61
PSP 9.37

Predicted 2011 FInal Sales:

DS 15.0  -29.7%
PS3 14.0  -3.2%
Wii 14.0  -22.5%
X360 13.5  -1%
3DS 9.0
PSP 8.0  -14.3%

I think that the handhelds are getting hit more now because of the big smart phone/tablet gaming craze happening now. This is drawing some of the crowd away from Sony and Nintendo to the smart phone/tablet gaming. If NGP is released for the holidays I could see it selling maybe 3 to 4 million before end of year. As far as consoles go I think Wii is getting hit hard, because more and more people are entering into HD gaming now that Sony has the Move and Microsoft has the Kinect. The Wii price cut will help, but I dont think it will keep it from losing a large percentage like it did when comparing 2009 to 2010 sales. Keep in mind the Wii may be last in console sales in most weeks, but they always have a big holiday season. Thats why I think at the end of the year they will be slightly above X360 in total year sales. The 3DS is not doing as well as expected. While it is a great invention there really isnt much software for it yet to attract a large crowd. Most people are sill happy with their DS and dont see a reason to switch just for 3D capabilities. I think the HD consoles (PS3,X360) will see a small decrease, but the combination of price cuts new hardcore releases/ motion title releases will keep their sales strong.

snfr said:

Price cuts will definitely help sales and could push 2011 almost on par with 2010 I guess, but it won't surpass it. So I would say it's down hill, but not rapidly.

Agreed - the descent shouldn't be too steep, all three consoles have room for some big price cuts, if they get cheap enough they could still do alright even in the first 2 years of next gen.

2011 ~= 0.85*2010, imo. 0.9 if the price cuts this year are big

kowenicki said:
Zlejedi said:
kowenicki said:

EMEAA sales numbers:

PS2 XBOX GameCube = 76.43m  

PS3 360 Wii = 77.21m

This weeks YOY comparison:

Wii: DOWN 55%

PS3: DOWN 32%

360: DOWN 23%

PSP: DOWN 68%

DS: DOWN 67% (even adding DS and 3DS together its still down by 11%)

So since now after adjustment we now know that PS3, PSP and X360 were actually above 2010 levels can we safely conclude that there's still plenty of space for this generation to grow  for both Sony and Microsoft.

total sales are down YOY (start of yeart to end of April)... nothing has changed.

Everything has changed because PS3 and X360 will likely make better than in 2010 numbers which clearly shows there's plenty of space to grow for them while the Wii fades away and PS3 still has $250, 200, 150 and 100 price points.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

this gen the combined quality of the three systems is far better than it was last gen.

theres also much more variety to reach to a much larger audience, especially with all the motion controls on offer.

i think it will easily pass the 100m mark before x720/ps4 come out.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Zlejedi said:
kowenicki said:
Zlejedi said:
kowenicki said:

EMEAA sales numbers:

PS2 XBOX GameCube = 76.43m  

PS3 360 Wii = 77.21m

This weeks YOY comparison:

Wii: DOWN 55%

PS3: DOWN 32%

360: DOWN 23%

PSP: DOWN 68%

DS: DOWN 67% (even adding DS and 3DS together its still down by 11%)

So since now after adjustment we now know that PS3, PSP and X360 were actually above 2010 levels can we safely conclude that there's still plenty of space for this generation to grow  for both Sony and Microsoft.

total sales are down YOY (start of yeart to end of April)... nothing has changed.

Everything has changed because PS3 and X360 will likely make better than in 2010 numbers which clearly shows there's plenty of space to grow for them while the Wii fades away and PS3 still has $250, 200, 150 and 100 price points.

this was about EMEAA....

Change $ into euro if it makes you more comfortable.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

i dont understand arent the 360 and ps3 up YOY starting the year till this week in april

im getting like 100k up for each

Play Me