By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What to do?Nintendo's Next gen Consule.

What to do?Nintendo's Next gen Consule.

Graphic's upgread for 3rd party support 18 18.18%

Open new Studio's to dou... 21 21.21%

A new revolutionary way to play 20 20.20%

A little bit of everything 39 39.39%

Total:98
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:

But we're talking Nintendo. And Nintendo went from major innovation (DS, Wii) that are very much unlike their predecessors to putting out the almost exact same with 3DS.

No they didn't.

3D is to 3DS what motion controls was to Wii.

Some people are just saying that because they don't like 3D, just like how some Nintendo fans said the same thing about Wii because they didn't like motion controls.

How is 3DS like NGP anyways? I wasn't aware that NGP had 3D built in.

Nintendo found a way to set its handheld apart from Sony with 3D, just like they did with DS touch screen and Wii motion controls.

All Nintendo has to do now is start putting out games that take advantage of 3D in some nice ways.

3D in 3DS is not as dominant as the use of the touchscreen in DS or motion controls in Wii. It can be turned off hence not key. Its use is rather gimmicky, and different people react differently to it. The 3DS and DS are very much alike.

First of all, what were you expecting Nintendo to do for a successor? What tech were you expecting them to use? There isn't an unlimited pool of tech for them to dig in and use.

Second, 3D not being as dominant as the use of touch screen isn't even true. There were lots of devices with touch screens when DS came out, but glassesless 3D is just coming into the mobile market and Nintendo is basically the first to market it. It holds alot of wow factor.

And why do you keep saying the DS and 3DS are very similar? Were you expecting them to overhaul the look of the hardware completely like from GBA to DS? The DS/3DS are very well built for handheld gaming, especially with their dual screens, so why would Nintendo let that go?

The DS and Wii's gimmicks were a change in game controls, but Nintendo can only go so far with that. There isn't any other cheap tech they can use to change how we play games. So they went with 3D, which enhances immersiveness during gameplay. I'm sure they'll find other cool ways to use it.

Just like motion controls and dual touch screens, no everyone is going to like 3D, but that doesn't matter. 3D will server the purpose Nintendo needs, which is to set itself apart and enhance the appeal of its products.

Expect my reply tomorrow... for now, I'm off to bed.

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

A little bit of everything is the only correct answer.  The current Wii did well by a focus on first parties and a unique style to play, but its easy to see that it lost out on third party support because of the HD consoles.  But eventhough graphics seem to be the biggest issue for third parties, Nintendo could cement their hold on the market even more with more first and second party titles.

If they really want to go after the HD on its own turf wich i think is wasting time and money. Id fist make a Ps3-esk

consule with a hook up to add a  component a year down the road to bump it  to keep up with PS4-720.  Sega! style.

Thats alot of work and money for what 20 million more consule sell's Max

You know Sometimes simple works better.   Nintendo is good at managing Software production.  Why go against the grain?

If they keep growing its software Studio's,  Nintendo Can win this in two generation.

Why would they screw this up?

Nintendo should release a new console that is stronger than the ps3/360, although nothing extremely better, yet noticeable. Make it have blueray, a new controller and a more advanced kinect type device. Launch with Wii2 Sports, or something like that. Basically do everything better than the current hd consoles, which will give them an edge the first few 2 or so years, and by then they will have established a great base from which will give them an advantage initially. Lastly take everything I said, burn it, and do whatever the industry disagrees with, because it seems to have worked extremely well this gen.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Xen said:
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:

But we're talking Nintendo. And Nintendo went from major innovation (DS, Wii) that are very much unlike their predecessors to putting out the almost exact same with 3DS.

No they didn't.

3D is to 3DS what motion controls was to Wii.

Some people are just saying that because they don't like 3D, just like how some Nintendo fans said the same thing about Wii because they didn't like motion controls.

How is 3DS like NGP anyways? I wasn't aware that NGP had 3D built in.

Nintendo found a way to set its handheld apart from Sony with 3D, just like they did with DS touch screen and Wii motion controls.

All Nintendo has to do now is start putting out games that take advantage of 3D in some nice ways.

3D in 3DS is not as dominant as the use of the touchscreen in DS or motion controls in Wii. It can be turned off hence not key. Its use is rather gimmicky, and different people react differently to it. The 3DS and DS are very much alike.

First of all, what were you expecting Nintendo to do for a successor? What tech were you expecting them to use? There isn't an unlimited pool of tech for them to dig in and use.

Second, 3D not being as dominant as the use of touch screen isn't even true. There were lots of devices with touch screens when DS came out, but glassesless 3D is just coming into the mobile market and Nintendo is basically the first to market it. It holds alot of wow factor.

And why do you keep saying the DS and 3DS are very similar? Were you expecting them to overhaul the look of the hardware completely like from GBA to DS? The DS/3DS are very well built for handheld gaming, especially with their dual screens, so why would Nintendo let that go?

The DS and Wii's gimmicks were a change in game controls, but Nintendo can only go so far with that. There isn't any other cheap tech they can use to change how we play games. So they went with 3D, which enhances immersiveness during gameplay. I'm sure they'll find other cool ways to use it.

Just like motion controls and dual touch screens, no everyone is going to like 3D, but that doesn't matter. 3D will server the purpose Nintendo needs, which is to set itself apart and enhance the appeal of its products.

Expect my reply tomorrow... for now, I'm off to bed.

I win!...for now...

homer said:

Nintendo should release a new console that is stronger than the ps3/360, although nothing extremely better, yet noticeable. Make it have blueray, a new controller and a more advanced kinect type device. Launch with Wii2 Sports, or something like that. Basically do everything better than the current hd consoles, which will give them an edge the first few 2 or so years, and by then they will have established a great base from which will give them an advantage initially. Lastly take everything I said, burn it, and do whatever the industry disagrees with, because it seems to have worked extremely well this gen.

Why would you buy it then if you already had a PS3-360 or a PC?     The question is what disruptive hardware can they add that will set it as a must have, like the Wii-mote did for them with the Wii. I dont think they can re-produce that magic on demand.

If Nintendo launch's next gen, Sony and MS will be out with next gen within a year no later. Taking Nintendo's 3rd party support away with it.

They need to pull a bunny out of a hat. Maybe throw everything server side. But then they will require Fiber optic.

Launching a new platform in 2012 really looks like suicide especially when all they really need to do is Make games for the Wii and they will sell like hot cakes. >.<

Around the Network

At this point, I think Nintendo's relationship with third parties is key.  This generation, third parties didn't develop for the Wii simply because they didn't want to, which broke a vital historical precedent in the console wars that the console with the most sales gets the most and best third party support.  Without building a better relationship with third parties, Nintendo will be stuck in a no-win position: They'll lose, whether they decide to go toe to toe with the competitors with comparable hardware (see: GameCube) or do something completely different instead (see: Wii). 

Aside from their third party relations, they need to produce a system with comparable graphical horsepower in relation to the competition, which also means 1080P support, now that HDTVs are commonplace.  Thankfully, based on historical precedent, this coming generation will be more evolutionary than revolutionary in nature, which should make the process a bit easier.   An overhaul of their online infrastructure will also be critical, as friend codes are far too unwieldy as is.  They don't have to be a complete clone of the PS4 or the XBox 720, but they do have to make sure that they can accept cross-platform ports with great ease, which have become increasingly prevalent in the face of rising development costs.  This would, at a minimum, give third parties experience in developing high caliber games on Nintendo's system, even if it isn't an exclusive, and get their feet wet.

Ultimately, it comes down to producing hardware that gets third parties into the door, and then making sure there's enough under the hood to keep them interested.  There's no real reason Nintendo necessarily has to compromise on their vision of accessibility in so doing.  I figure the third parties that have survived this disastrous generation (you know, record losses despite record revenue) would welcome Nintendo moving back toward the centre, and bringing their loyal core fanbase with them in that direction. 

Personally, I think there's far more at stake for Nintendo in attracting third parties than may appear to be the case: If they go one more generation without third party support, it may permanently cement Nintendo's systems as perpetually devoid of third party support (like how few developers write software for Macs compared to PCs), and create a self-fulfilling prophecy that will be damn near impossible to break for generations to come: No third party support, which means no third party bothers to try, which means half-assed efforts, which means low sales for third party games, which means no third party support...

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Thats a difficult question...  should nintendo keep thier strategy and continue making more money than the competitors combined? Or should they invest a la gamecube again?... Hmm... Actually I think it has to be a mix of both, nintendo has a lot of internal studios, but due to their development thinking (Which I love) they dont produce games that often, most nintendo games are taking 2 to 3 years to produce, and on top of that they have to support two consoles at the same time... I think nintendo should buy a few more studios, mistwaker, marvelous, platinum games (One can dream ;P) etc, or maybe just do more joins like they did with team ninja, mistwaker an a few others. At leats nintendo is trying with new few Ips, xenoblade, last story, pandoras tower, and thats probably the route the have to follow, create more diverse games so third parties could bring their games as well.

I guess wii2 will be revealed on January 2012, then a E3 event with new game videos, price announcement and the showcase of the new "hook" ;P... 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Kenny said:

Personally, I think there's far more at stake for Nintendo in attracting third parties than may appear to be the case: If they go one more generation without third party support, it may permanently cement Nintendo's systems as perpetually devoid of third party support (like how few developers write software for Macs compared to PCs), and create a self-fulfilling prophecy that will be damn near impossible to break for generations to come: No third party support, which means no third party bothers to try, which means half-assed efforts, which means low sales for third party games, which means no third party support...

I think its To late for Nintendo, 3rd Party snubing the Wii shows we are already in that trend you speek.  I think they should keep growing outward. thats where the money is at. Stuff that hasent been done yet.

Who is kicking ass now a day's?  All new products. Apple etc..

Nintendo staying out of the Online, gaming this generation means its way behind and wont ever catch up unless they spend a tone load of cash. You can't have 3rd party withought a way to fix there crappy games post having sold it to you.

Not only do they have to pump out a insain Machine and sell it at lost. They need to set up Huge online server and catch up to over 5 years of experience with it?  Sounds imposible to me

You think Nintendo can pull that off?  and to gain what? steal a few Sony-X-box users?

Users that still bought the Wii for the Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games anyways?

Nintendo Studio Growth times 3 by 2012 and keep the pedal to the medal with it  Thats what sell's Nintnedo systems. not 3rd party support.

Release a Zelda game faster than Skyward Sword. The only real Zelda that is not a spin-off or a port is releasing five years after the launch of the console.

If  they want my money, do it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Albion said:
Kenny said:

I think its To late for Nintendo, 3rd Party snubing the Wii shows we are already in that trend you speek.  I think they should keep growing outward. thats where the money is at. Stuff that hasent been done yet.

Who is kicking ass now a day's?  All new products. Apple etc..

Nintendo staying out of the Online, gaming this generation means its way behind and wont ever catch up unless they spend a tone load of cash. You can't have 3rd party withought a way to fix there crappy games post having sold it to you.

Not only do they have to pump out a insain Machine and sell it at lost. They need to set up Huge online server and catch up to over 5 years of experience with it?  Sounds imposible to me

You think Nintendo can pull that off?  and to gain what? steal a few Sony-X-box users?

Users that still bought the Wii for the Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games anyways?

Nintendo Studio Growth times 3 by 2012 and keep the pedal to the medal with it  Thats what sell's Nintnedo systems. not 3rd party support.

3rd parties don't go to Sony and MS because they sell consoles at a loss...

Nintendo doesn't need to send out a high end machine either. Sony and MS aren't even going to do that. They are going to be more conservative with their console. None of them will go over $400 (they might still go for $450).

If Ninty were to  send out a console more powerful than PS3/360 and then MS and Sony send out a really high end machine that costs alot to develop for, devs would make the Ninty console the primary console to develop for before they port to others to keep development consts down.

Sony and MS know the financial problems devs are having and will not send out really powerful console to piss them off.

Also, what makes you think creating an online system would be something difficult for Nintendo? They have a bankload of money and have no doubt been working on that system for years now. They can easily put up a nice online system for Wii 2.

Not having one for Wii doesn't mean they are years behind, it means they have had years to study Sony and MS' systems to see what works for them so they can implement those features and some of their own ideas.

Wii's online system seems more like an experimentation than anything.