By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A very simple question for Nintendo fans...

I´d really like to read your views on this, guys...a simple question:

As of now, does the 3DS go against the philosophy Nintendo adopted for the DS and Wii?

Around the Network
JGarret said:

I´d really like to read your views on this, guys...a simple question:

As of now, does the 3DS go against the philosophy Nintendo adopted for the DS and Wii?

Absolutely yes.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Against? No.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

no

No. The only difference is that Nintendo's being more aggressive about picking up third parties and making sure that they don't leave money on the table in terms of launch price, but the themes are the same

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

No not at all, it does go against Gunpei Yokoi's philosophy on a few aspects, mainly just how affordable it is, even at 250 its not as far out as people would have you believe once you take into account exchange rates, the weak US dollar compared to 2004, inflation, etc.

Anyway the 3DS strongly encourages the philosophy they founded with the Wii, something the DS didn't have outside of select software titles, and that would be the social philosophy.  Game coins/step tracking/tagging encourage you to take it with you when going to the store and such, Face Raiders encourages getting others involved, the AR cards and games are games you can really show off to friends, you can take pictures with your friends in a way you couldn't with a normal device so many just flat out overlook the .3 megapixels. 

Basically they're fusing together Gunpei's philosophy with a new philosophy and doing it with their handheld this time.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Wasn't their philosophy "Kick ass, take names, and make games"?

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Yes, and now it's "slap 3D on everything and be done with it" instead of making games.

Well then I vote "yes".

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Yes, and now it's "slap 3D on everything and be done with it" instead of making games.

Then I guess one could argue with Wii it was, 'slap motion controls on everything and be done with it.'

Nintendo is following the same philosophy but carrying it further.

.The system is moderately powerful, not high-end.

.It has its 'hook' (3D) just like Wii.

. It is a bit expensive, but that doesn't mean they went against their philosophy. Didn't they say a few years back that they wish they had priced the Wii at $300 because it would have sold just as well? Well they are learning from that 'mistake'.

All those core gamers that want 3DS will buy one, then later on it will get a price drop and start selling even more to people who didn't want it at the $250 price.

It will still be cheaper than NGP because NGP will, I have no doubt, come out at a higher price than $250 and Nintendo can afford to drop the price by the time it releases.

The only thing that changed with their strategy is that they are trying to attract third parties more and have more  features than before.

.All those DS games that made it a force to reckon with will come.

This is the 3rd Nintendo product with 3d so how could it go against Nintendo philosophy's.