By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A very simple question for Nintendo fans...

RolStoppable said:

Yes.

I am simultaneously unsurprised and unimpressed.

To be on-topic:

No.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

I am simultaneously unsurprised and unimpressed.

To be on-topic:

No.

Same here.

I didn't expect any less from someone who defends Spirit Tracks. At least you acknowledged that Metroid: Other M wasn't all that, so there's still hope.

You've seen my Pilotwings Resort thread, yes?

1. Tell what Nintendo's philosophy was with the Wii and DS.

2. I saw it, but you never responded to my comment on your wall. My score was 155.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

1. Tell what Nintendo's philosophy was with the Wii and DS.

2. I saw it, but you never responded to my comment on your wall. My score was 155.

1. Nintendo's philosophy with the DS and Wii was to bring gaming to the masses. Either by removing unnecessary obstacles like overly complex controls or more importantly, by making games that nobody else did care to make anymore. With the 3DS, handheld gaming is made more complicated as pretty much all games will use 3D and thus be built around 3D gameplay. The games that made the DS and Wii highly popular weren't complex 3D titles, but quite the opposite.

This direction isn't set in stone yet, but from what we know so far, that's where things are going.

2. Cool score. Do you expect me to say more on this?

1. You lack the perspective necessary to say what direction the development for the system is heading in while ignoring the sheer bone-jarring variety that the DS demanded; acknowledgement of your ignorance is not an excuse for perpetuating false conclusions that derive from that same ignorance.

2. Not really. I was just answering a question that you asked.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

1. You lack the perspective necessary to say what direction the development for the system is heading in while ignoring the sheer bone-jarring variety that the DS demanded; acknowledgement of your ignorance is not an excuse for perpetuating false conclusions that derive from that same ignorance.

2. Not really. I was just answering a question that you asked.

I can't believe that I understood what you just said the first time I read it. You make a good point.

I don't mean to be hard to read, but you are fluent enough in the language that it feels like simplifying my style would be an insult.

Feel free to complain about Nintendo in earnest in... ten weeks or so.

oniyide said:

@chizrum  what are you talking about??? 3DS didnt drop anything. It has motion tech and touch screen, if anything the 3DS added features and thats rarely a bad thing

I think I may have worded that wrong. What I meant was that the 3DS builds on the DS and doesn't add any real interface innovations of its own.

Around the Network

^^^ thats true, but really, what could they have done??? put another touch screen on the back of the damn thing?? I cant for the life of me see what else Ninty could have added without making the system super expensive

oniyide said:

^^^ thats true, but really, what could they have done??? put another touch screen on the back of the damn thing?? I cant for the life of me see what else Ninty could have added without making the system super expensive

They could have come with an entire new system. I'm not saying they should have. But it's obvious the 3DS is souped up DS, like the SNES was a souped up NES. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different direction than the direction Nintendo took with the DS and the Wii is all I'm saying.

^^^thats true but you cant innovate all the time, i dont think its as easy as some people think

Chrizum said:
oniyide said:

They could have come with an entire new system. I'm not saying they should have. But it's obvious the 3DS is souped up DS, like the SNES was a souped up NES. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different direction than the direction Nintendo took with the DS and the Wii is all I'm saying.

I don't know about a whole new system, but a multi-touch screen ala iphone would have been real nice.  But as oniyide asked above, is it possible to fully innovate every time?  Seems like at some point you just have to have that NES to SNES upgrade (plus 3D, in this case).

All Nintendo is doing with the 3DS is  solve a problem. 

3rd party support.  

Instead of more polygone they used 3D.