By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD asks Analysts not to share data publicly.

Lafiel said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I wonder whether Pachter will subscribe to VGC Pro, now...   

hm? why?, did the situation change for him in any way?

he still gets the numbers, but just won't talk about them anymore (to the public)

If he's any interest in revealing the data to the public too, he could find it a good investment. I guess when he's interviewed, he answers mostly for free, but I guess too that when he's the one that writes the article or when he hosts programs like Pach Attack he is most probably almost always payed. And I don't know whether it's for money or for personal satisfaction or both, but he looks like he's happy to be considered by the public well informed. Add that NPD only tracks North America, but most gaming companies are global. There should be enough to be wanting more data.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

LOL, NeoGAF had the major meltdown and seizures I predicted as soon as I read the news

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425631

Some rabid NeoGalibans, green with envy, are even cursing ioi, as what is a bane for NeoGAF and many other gaming sites, could be a blessing for VGC (note that due to their policy, they can name ioi, but they must use circumlocutions instead of VGChartz, with ridiculous results)...   

I don't know why you are happy. Just going by february results alone VGC isn't even close to reliably report sales in USA. Only thing it acieves is bigger meltdowns during shipment number releases.

Not happy about what NPD did, but amused by the reactions on NeoGAF, you must admit they must be chewing serious crow if the NPD news makes them feel so envious of ioi, thinking that he could indirectly benefit from all this. As a gaming site they should be worried the most for gamers and gaming sites, including themselves, and ioi should be the last of their thoughts, unless it be to reconsider their ban on VGC mentioning. About precision, tracking and projecting sales from samples can't be totally accurate, there's an error margin, and NPD isn't always accurate either.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

AbbathTheGrim said:

Hopefully those idiots at Gametrailer will stop bringing information about sales of consoles and software as if it would fall exclusively in US territory. I bet those assholes at Invisble Walls won't have any idea of how to portray that incomplete notion that the Xbox is over the PS3. I can't not explain myself how I watched that podcast more than 50 times instead of relying into the awesome EBC.

Whats EBC?

Slimebeast said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Hopefully those idiots at Gametrailer will stop bringing information about sales of consoles and software as if it would fall exclusively in US territory. I bet those assholes at Invisble Walls won't have any idea of how to portray that incomplete notion that the Xbox is over the PS3. I can't not explain myself how I watched that podcast more than 50 times instead of relying into the awesome EBC.

Whats EBC?

other podcast I always see up on Gametrailers.com is Epic Battle Cry iirc.  That's probably it.

Slimebeast said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Whats EBC?

Exactly what Torillian said. Man you really should give these guys a chance :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/skirmish-110-epicbattlecry/712245

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Zlejedi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

LOL, NeoGAF had the major meltdown and seizures I predicted as soon as I read the news

Some rabid NeoGalibans, green with envy, are even cursing ioi, as what is a bane for NeoGAF and many other gaming sites, could be a blessing for VGC (note that due to their policy, they can name ioi, but they must use circumlocutions instead of VGChartz, with ridiculous results)...   

I don't know why you are happy. Just going by february results alone VGC isn't even close to reliably report sales in USA. Only thing it acieves is bigger meltdowns during shipment number releases.

Not happy about what NPD did, but amused by the reactions on NeoGAF, you must admit they must be chewing serious crow if the NPD news makes them feel so envious of ioi, thinking that he could indirectly benefit from all this. As a gaming site they should be worried the most for gamers and gaming sites, including themselves, and ioi should be the last of their thoughts, unless it be to reconsider their ban on VGC mentioning. About precision, tracking and projecting sales from samples can't be totally accurate, there's an error margin, and NPD isn't always accurate either.

Well... not if you know WHY they ban VGC mentioning.

If you understand why, it totally makes sense why it's the first thing on their minds.

Right now, they could be the site with the tracking of videogame figures but shortsightedly turned it down.

All in all, this seems like a dumb decision, and assuming the software numbers are good enough on Vgchartz... pretty much going to help the site out hugely....

I mean, could there be any better way to sell VGchartz Pro subsrciptions?

Kasz216 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Zlejedi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well... not if you know WHY they ban VGC mentioning.

If you understand why, it totally makes sense why it's the first thing on their minds.

Right now, they could be the site with the tracking of videogame figures but shortsightedly turned it down.

All in all, this seems like a dumb decision, and assuming the software numbers are good enough on Vgchartz... pretty much going to help the site out hugely....

I mean, could there be any better way to sell VGchartz Pro subsrciptions?

Yes, you are right, and I understand their disappointment, but it's very ironic that those that wanted ioi and any mention of VGC banned, now can't do without mentioning him. And quite karmic too.   

As ioi has no problems with fair use of limited parts of his data, even less with linking to VGC itself and is also quite happy to provide his complete services for a fee to those wanting more, NeoGAF could end up being the only gaming site cutting itself out of the most complete and regularly updated global sales data still available to the public. Oh well, while new gaffers don't even understand completely the feud, if the most important thing is the old gaffers' pride, then they'll be happy and fine to content themselves with Japanese sales only.