By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD asks Analysts not to share data publicly.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43697/NPD-freezes-out-media

Quote:

US sales tracker NPD has issued a note to analyst Michael Pachter requesting that he stops handing out NPD data to media outlets.

In October of last year the company announced that it was to change the way in which it publishes its monthly video game sales data, omitting most of what had made the reports some of the most revealing in the industry.

NPD instead said it was up to individual platform holder and publishers to govern the publication of sales numbers.

And now it seems that it doesn't want analysts spreading the word, either.

"NPD would appreciate it, if you and your teams refrain from providing any of our Games data directly to the media," the note to Pachter read. "This includes live discussions, e-mails, and/or notes.
Article continues below

"In some cases, you may have to remove the media from your distribution lists. Should the media take issue with this, you can feel free to send them my contact information, and I can connect them with the appropriate NPD representative."

Pachter has confirmed that he will adhere to the request, telling journalists: "Going forward, we are not permitted to send our NPD results note to anyone associated with the media.

"I have been distributing the results note to the media, and will not do so going forward."

Who knew Pachter was the leaker? He fought for us and we only jeered him!

Probably means we won't be getting any NPD numbers anymore. VGChartz has now become even more relevant and ioi is now leaning back in his arm chair, a glass of scotch in hand and it ease with the world.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

Quote:

US sales tracker NPD has issued a note to analyst Michael Pachter requesting that he stops handing out NPD data to media outlets.

In October of last year the company announced that it was to change the way in which it publishes its monthly video game sales data, omitting most of what had made the reports some of the most revealing in the industry.

NPD instead said it was up to individual platform holder and publishers to govern the publication of sales numbers.

"NPD would appreciate it, if you and your teams refrain from providing any of our Games data directly to the media," the note to Pachter read. "This includes live discussions, e-mails, and/or notes.
Article continues below

"In some cases, you may have to remove the media from your distribution lists. Should the media take issue with this, you can feel free to send them my contact information, and I can connect them with the appropriate NPD representative."

Pachter has confirmed that he will adhere to the request, telling journalists: "Going forward, we are not permitted to send our NPD results note to anyone associated with the media.

"I have been distributing the results note to the media, and will not do so going forward."

Probably means we won't be getting any NPD numbers anymore. VGChartz has now become even more relevant and ioi is now leaning back in his arm chair, a glass of scotch in hand and it ease with the world.

More like he was finally worth a dam! Since he was giving us NPD numbers. Still even that wasn't enough compared to all the horrible analyzing he was doing.

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

Doobie_wop said:

Quote:

Article continues below

I always imagine him with a miniature figure of a McLaren, driving around his desk all day =P.

On a more serious note, this probably means VGC will become even more relevant in the gaming industry.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I hope there are other people willing to leak...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I do feel bad for Pachter. Stupid NPD is acting like all of that information is worth something. Certainly there's a place for for-pay in-depth analysis (like the services offered here at VGC Pro), but the keyword there is depth. Telling us what games and consoles sold what is not depth, and should not command a premium, especially given how reliable the NPD actually is

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

npd equals a big turd,  a big turd that is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the age of digital downloads, and a big turd that likes to stink up the place.  I hope that vgchartz can one day destroy npd

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Im 100% sure ALOT of devs appreciate this information, and im sure, in their view, it should be as free as box office numbers. NPD is fighting a battle in can't possibly win long term.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

kowenicki said:

It will still get out.... publishers and manufacturers are still allowed to release information.

And of course there will be anonymous leaks.

Yeah. But just Microsoft release their data... Nintendo sometimes... Sony never.

It's really amazing how different the situation is when compared to Japan.  There we get a weekly top 50, Hardware numbers for everything including PS2/PSPgo/DSL/etc, monthly numbers and sometimes top software for individual platforms, as well as a yearly top 100/500/1000, sell-through amounts for new releases.  Not to mention the fact that there are multiple trackers to compare to each other.

With NPD seems like we're going to get a monthly top 10, and the only SW/HW numbers will come from the publishers.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:

It will still get out.... publishers and manufacturers are still allowed to release information.

And of course there will be anonymous leaks.

Yeah. But just Microsoft release their data... Nintendo sometimes... Sony never.

wonder why.....

wasnt always this way.... perhaps it has something to do with the ability to brag within ones numbers.

Precisely, and I am fairly sure that Sony have never released their data, I am fairly sure they did so after the Slim launched....

And this should just mean more for VGC!