By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD asks Analysts not to share data publicly.

seems like in the future shipment numbers will be just that extra bit surprising

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:

It will still get out.... publishers and manufacturers are still allowed to release information.

And of course there will be anonymous leaks.

Yeah. But just Microsoft release their data... Nintendo sometimes... Sony never.

wonder why.....

wasnt always this way.... perhaps it has something to do with the ability to brag within ones numbers.

Precisely, and I am fairly sure that Sony have never released their data, I am fairly sure they did so after the Slim launched....

And this should just mean more for VGC!

Numbers were given out BY NPD when the slim launched, Sony didn't have a choice, I think it was around July last year they quit giving HW numbers out.

Seece said:
Munkeh111 said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:

It will still get out.... publishers and manufacturers are still allowed to release information.

And of course there will be anonymous leaks.

Yeah. But just Microsoft release their data... Nintendo sometimes... Sony never.

wonder why.....

wasnt always this way.... perhaps it has something to do with the ability to brag within ones numbers.

Precisely, and I am fairly sure that Sony have never released their data, I am fairly sure they did so after the Slim launched....

And this should just mean more for VGC!

Numbers were given out BY NPD when the slim launched, Sony didn't have a choice, I think it was around July last year they quit giving HW numbers out.

I read October, but I think you know what I mean

LOL, NeoGAF had the major meltdown and seizures I predicted as soon as I read the news

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425631

Some rabid NeoGalibans, green with envy, are even cursing ioi, as what is a bane for NeoGAF and many other gaming sites, could be a blessing for VGC (note that due to their policy, they can name ioi, but they must use circumlocutions instead of VGChartz, with ridiculous results)...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

TheWon said:
Doobie_wop said:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43697/NPD-freezes-out-media

Quote:

US sales tracker NPD has issued a note to analyst Michael Pachter requesting that he stops handing out NPD data to media outlets.

In October of last year the company announced that it was to change the way in which it publishes its monthly video game sales data, omitting most of what had made the reports some of the most revealing in the industry.

NPD instead said it was up to individual platform holder and publishers to govern the publication of sales numbers.

And now it seems that it doesn't want analysts spreading the word, either.

"NPD would appreciate it, if you and your teams refrain from providing any of our Games data directly to the media," the note to Pachter read. "This includes live discussions, e-mails, and/or notes.
Article continues below

"In some cases, you may have to remove the media from your distribution lists. Should the media take issue with this, you can feel free to send them my contact information, and I can connect them with the appropriate NPD representative."

Pachter has confirmed that he will adhere to the request, telling journalists: "Going forward, we are not permitted to send our NPD results note to anyone associated with the media.

"I have been distributing the results note to the media, and will not do so going forward."

Who knew Pachter was the leaker? He fought for us and we only jeered him!

Probably means we won't be getting any NPD numbers anymore. VGChartz has now become even more relevant and ioi is now leaning back in his arm chair, a glass of scotch in hand and it ease with the world.

More like he was finally worth a dam! Since he was giving us NPD numbers. Still even that wasn't enough compared to all the horrible analyzing he was doing.

The won, Could your signature be any more wrong?

PS3 and 360 combined are not losing, in fact theyre crushing Wii on the order of 2 or 3 to 1 most places and worldwide now.

Last I checked, the Heat have won 51 games and lost 23. Perhaps you should go to math class, but they have more wins than losses, by a lot, hence they are not "losing".

Around the Network

I wonder whether Pachter will subscribe to VGC Pro, now...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Hopefully those idiots at Gametrailer will stop bringing information about sales of consoles and software as if it would fall exclusively in US territory. I bet those assholes at Invisble Walls won't have any idea of how to portray that incomplete notion that the Xbox is over the PS3. I can't not explain myself how I watched that podcast more than 50 times instead of relying into the awesome EBC.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Alby_da_Wolf said:

I wonder whether Pachter will subscribe to VGC Pro, now...   

hm? why?, did the situation change for him in any way?

he still gets the numbers, but just won't talk about them anymore (to the public)

And the rise of VGChartz begins 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Alby_da_Wolf said:

LOL, NeoGAF had the major meltdown and seizures I predicted as soon as I read the news

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425631

Some rabid NeoGalibans, green with envy, are even cursing ioi, as what is a bane for NeoGAF and many other gaming sites, could be a blessing for VGC (note that due to their policy, they can name ioi, but they must use circumlocutions instead of VGChartz, with ridiculous results)...   

I don't know why you are happy. Just going by february results alone VGC isn't even close to reliably report sales in USA. Only thing it acieves is bigger meltdowns during shipment number releases.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB