By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog has added DESTRUCTION to their engine (Uncharted 3)

Just when you thought the Naughty Dog engine couldn't get any better, they continue to improve it with newly added Destruction physics.

They're using a rare destruction program that has been used mostly for Hollywood movies and TV shows like X-Men, Hancock, and Heroes. This particular program is not even available to the public yet and has rarely (if ever) been used in any video games before.

Nerd talk - It's actually quite interesting, because Naughty Dog uses HAVOK physics, which also has 'Havok Destruction'. However Naughty Dog opted to go with a totally different Destruction program for Uncharted 3 and  seems to be making Destruction an integral part of the game. If you watch the "Burning Chateau" gameplay reveal, you see the ceiling collapsing and destructable cover.  I really wonder why they decided not to use Havok and instead are using a new, and unproven program which is still in it's beta stage. Either way though, it looks really good and I can't wait to see more.

Uncharted keeps getting better and better. When I think back to Drakes Fortune, even the explosions looked really cartoony and almost ps2-ish. Now they've come full circle and probably have the best all around engine in the entire business, as evident from U2 and the short previews of U3.

Expect to see a lot of destruction in the new Uncharted 

Around the Network

Heck yeah. I hope it allows you to blow up buildings in MP.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

wish naughty dogs were a 3rd party so they could make games for 360.

I trust no one, not even myself.

Nice! Can't wait to try this out!

That is the kind of destruction Killzone 3 has as well. I don't think you'll be able to do that kind of thing everywhere.

Around the Network

Looks Impressive

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

I wonder who's gonna have the better destruction engine--Uncharted 3 or Metal Gear Rising.  Both look pretty damned impressive!

Oh Naughty Dog....how are you so good....

that looks so good. wow.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

FattyDingDong said:

wish naughty dogs were a 3rd party so they could make games for 360.

Wish other gamers to finally realize the importance of owning the PS3.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1