By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CNN Reviews 3DS, says "No match to iPhone"

Seriously, The 3DS is very powerful compared to the DS, but it's really not in same league of todays hardwares, it's just not. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:

Seriously, The 3DS is very powerful compared to the DS, but it's really not in same league of todays hardwares, it's just not. 

Where the hell did this comment come from?  *shake my head at you psrock* The "review" here barely even said anything about specs... and FYI iPhone/iPod Touch games look rather bad except for one or two titles basically being Infinity Blade and Dead Space, RE4 looks bad, Nazi Zombies looks worse than Black Ops Wii zombie mode, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 looks PS2ish...

The problem being people aren't creating games that take advantage of that hardware, they're creating Angry Birds... so I'm not sure why this comment is even needed as the launch 3DS software looks better than 99% of iPhones software as the review was trying to discuss...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

psrock said:

How many portable systems that have been released today have a steady stream of games that surpass the 3DS's graphical capabilities?

On a side note ...

It seems that the media (of all forms) seems to be under the belief that more advanced technology will lead people to have fewer computer-electronics devices; but when you look at the trend for the past 30 years the opposite seems to be true.

In the 1980s most households would own a computer or a videogame console; in the 1990s households would have a computer, a videogame console, and a handheld system; in the past decade we have seen households potentially having multiple computers, multiple consoles, multiple handheld systems, and some smart-phones; and in the comming decade we will se households own multiple computers, multiple consoles, multiple handheld systems, multiple smartphones, multiple tablet PCs, and (potentially) computational devices we haven't considered yet.

The steady trend has been that people seem to want a multi-function device for general practicality, as well as dedicated devices because of how much better suited they are to solve particular problems. As electronics become cheaper and cheaper, people can afford to have multiple dedicated devices and it appears that they are choosing to.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
psrock said:

Where the hell did this comment come from?  *shake my head at you psrock* The "review" here barely even said anything about specs... and FYI iPhone/iPod Touch games look rather bad except for one or two titles basically being Infinity Blade and Dead Space, RE4 looks bad, Nazi Zombies looks worse than Black Ops Wii zombie mode, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 looks PS2ish...

The problem being people aren't creating games that take advantage of that hardware, they're creating Angry Birds... so I'm not sure why this comment is even needed as the launch 3DS software looks better than 99% of iPhones software as the review was trying to discuss...

Just like a few games look amazing on the 3DS, there are terrible looking ones as well. You guys are way to defensive about a  console that's going to kill sales wise.

And I have about as many games in my Ipod Touch that I am addicted to as my PS3. Yes, they haven't made those core games yet, but they are coming slowly and much cheaper. And when they are made, they look as good if not better than the 3ds. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I just don't undersand why somebody would compare a dedicated gaming machine to a cell phone.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
manuel said:

I just don't undersand why somebody would compare a dedicated gaming machine to a cell phone.

the cellphone has games for $4.99 that are just as good as the $40 games on the dedicated machine. Nintendo has brought it up and so has Sony. 

Next Gen 

psrock said:
manuel said:

the cellphone has games for $4.99 that are just as good as the $40 games on the dedicated machine. Nintendo has brought it up and so has Sony. 

Name me one action adventure game that's as good as Zelda and a platformer as good as New Super Mario Bros. and I'll think about it.

Also, touch screen only controls aren't everybody's thing.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there are many good games on phones today, but dedicated gaming machines still offer something different. And with e-shop (3DS) and PSN (NGP), the gaming comsoles will also have cheap games.

edit: You also need a data plan for downloading those 5$ games, right? Right now I don't have and don't plan to get a data plan for my cell phone. With games on a phone you have monthly costs that you don't have with a dedicated gaming machine.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:
psrock said:
manuel said:

Name me one action adventure game that's as good as Zelda and a platformer as good as New Super Mario Bros. and I'll think about it.

Also, touch screen only controls aren't everybody's thing.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there are many good games on phones today, but dedicated gaming machines still offer something different. And with e-shop (3DS) and PSN (NGP), the gaming comsoles will also have cheap games.

I agree that the dedicated consoles will have the best games, I would chose Zelda, GOW over any games on the Iphone, but I have like 80 Iphones games in a matter of months compared to my PSP with way less which I had for a couple of years. 

I spend more time playing Game dev stories than any game on my PS3. I have all the angry birds games. The price is a huge deal. It's hard for me to spend $50 on a mobile game these days. 

As much as the 3DS won't be affected by this, the NGP is going to have major issues with it in the West. 

Next Gen 

psrock said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
psrock said:

Just like a few games look amazing on the 3DS, there are terrible looking ones as well. You guys are way to defensive about a  console that's going to kill sales wise.

And I have about as many games in my Ipod Touch that I am addicted to as my PS3. Yes, they haven't made those core games yet, but they are coming slowly and much cheaper. And when they are made, they look as good if not better than the 3ds. 

Yet I can't truly own any download game no one cares about getting defnesive, it's that your comment was really out of left field when this review is just garbage.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
psrock said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
psrock said:

Yet I can't truly own any download game no one cares about getting defnesive, it's that your comment was really out of left field when this review is just garbage.

I think it was a very positive review, although you know that everything is compared to the Iphone these days. 

Next Gen