By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Spankey said:

Hold on...what happened to the whole LG thing and the seizure of PS3's in the Netherlands?

Could the PS3 have sold over 85k this (last) week?

I'm confused...

It hardly affected the sales at all. the seizure was lifted before the stores ran out of Stock.

if anything it helped sales, because some may have rushed to get a PS3 before they are gone

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Playstation 3 doing very well in Europe. Wii and 360 doing average. At this rate Playstation will be neck and neck with the 360 by years end. The only Place Xbox has a advantage is in America and thats only because a slight advangtage i see MS dropping the price this year and Sony will probably do one to it just depends on who does it first.

I'm really happy for Homefront. It's a new IP and I like THQ, so it's success is heart warming.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

LivingMetal said:
NYANKS said:
Immortal said:
Torillian said:

True, it's just one of the reasons, but Metallicube has said time and time again he thinks that it makes the numbers unfair.  And with this I disagree, because being available in more areas is just Sony utilizing their resources like MS making XBL or Nintendo making games that sell like gangbusters or having a dedicated fanbase.  Is it unfair that Sony's machine is the most expensive?  no, because that's Sony's fault, just like it is Nintendo's and MS's fault that they haven't expanded out into more countries for distribution.

That's not exactly the same thing. The reason Sony gets to have those markets is because of its other markets (TVs and stuff) which give it distribution methods and brand recognition over there. That's an advantage given to them because of something non-gaming. It's something Nintendo and MS couldn't get unless they felt like throwing money down a black hole.

For fanboyish purposes, where we compare consoles against each other, that should be considered an unfair advantage since the advantage is rooted in something else that the company does, not gaming.

Of course, when we're actually doing unbiased analysis, it doesn't matter where the hell or why the hell it sold, it just did. But that's not what we're doing, :P.

All 3 companies got started and made money doing something unonvolved with video games, even Nintendo if I'm not mistaken.  You talk about throwing money down a black hole.  Without the insane amount of money made by Windows, MS might not have been able to even penetrate this market.  I'd say their biggest advantage is money, which is largely not from games.  I think a large amount of Nintendos fortune comes from an employee, not sure where that stands, but being responsible for like 40% of their success (arbitrary number for lolz) is a big advantage.  Sony, they have diversity, which is mirrored in their consoles funnily enough imo.    They have those advantages, it's totally fair.

Nintendo originally made playing cards while Sony first made and sold rice cookers.

A-ha! I always suspected Nintendo stole Cooking Mama from Sony!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

throwing out there but expect when kinect has the full features in everywhere out of us/uk it will go gangbusters imo... its about to explode... why they havent done voice yet is ludicrous....

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Attoyou said:

Damn PS3 is Kicking ass and taking names.

It's a dominatrix across EMEAA as well as in Japan. She does get around that saucey minx.

Not a bad start for Homefront in the EMEAA territories. Nice hold over for KZ3 too. LBP2 hanging on in there and GT5.

Good job Bulletstorm making it to 200K on 360 already. Sales are nice and steady on that platform at least.

Dragon Age 2 quite a big 2nd week drop on 360, not such a big drop for PS3. Legs will be interesting here, could be that as time goes by PS3 version weekly sale stay slightly higher and end up with higher LTD sales. America's 360 version sales will massively dominatate though.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

AussieGecko said:

throwing out there but expect when kinect has the full features in everywhere out of us/uk it will go gangbusters imo... its about to explode... why they havent done voice yet is ludicrous....

Well, anything's possible, but that seems a little unlikely IMHO.  Adding foregin languague voice commands seems to me to have little chance of suddenly making it more attractive.  Part of the issue is the perception Kinect lags US for features has now been established.  This was a risk MS took in their desire to get to the US market for holiday 2010 and, in some ways like their earlier rush to market, it has paid of well in US but arguably at the expense of better success globally.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Gojimaster said:

It is interesting to see that Kinect is 5k from dropping below Wii Fit Plus in the EU. 

If you see that 5k from the point of view of almost 30% more, and add a ~1:2 tie ratio on weekly sales for Kinect compared to ~1:3 for WiiFit Plus, all this in a macroregion that likes MS a lot less than America, things look quite better. But again, neither my arguments nor yours are conclusive, we are still in the mid-short term, in a slow season and close to 3DS WW launch completion. We'll have to see how both fare next Xmas to get more conclusive data, right now we can say Kinect hit Balance Board quite hard, but it boosted XB360 really strong only in the short term, while it affected Wii itself very little. And PS3 good sales are showing, if there was any need, how Ninty will be able to boost again Wii: with games, as usual.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

TT Makaveli said:
italo244 said:

Oh no! Bad Yakuza 4 opening again!

of course...what did you expected...Sega dont give a fukk about Yakuza in Europe...

Or America, because it bombed there as well. LOL!! Game sucks anyways.

Why is Dragon Age 2 & Homefront selling better on the XBox 360 in EMEA region? That completely baffled me. I thought the PC version would be leading the way or at least the PS3 version. EMEA is PC & PS3 country, so how could these games sell more on the XBox 360? I'm sure it'll have better legs on the PS3 and PC however, just the strong start on a system that's a little weaker in that this region surprised me.

XBox 360 sales are never that strong during the off months unless it gets a price cut. The 360 and Wii are much stronger during the holidays as everyone saw last year. lol!!