By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the three will be first out of the gate next gen?

First out of the gates? Most likely Microsoft if they decide to continue with the console side of the business. Followed by Nintendo and finally Sony. I think Sony will try and push the PS3 out as far as they can to make a profit off it. If the system all of a sudden stopped selling, we could see Sony out the door first. I think the PS3 will be sticking around though ;) so I expect MS to take the pre-emptive strike again with a console that's smaller then the 360 and named something other then Xbox, they'll also market it without the MS name attached to it much like the Wii.

MS could easily re-address the problems with the 360 and re-release it under a new name. Add some cache to the CPU's, add more Ram to the system get a slightly tweaked graphics card and they'd be set to go. They may even want to drop the video card and rely on Ray Traced graphics by going with 2 6 core cpu's based on the same design as they currently have now with their CPU but with dedicated cache per cpu and a faster system bus. 12 core's 4+ ghz each would easily handle Ray Traced graphics.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Gamerace said:
Off - topic - Why do Sony fans think PS3's 'superior' graphics will hurt X360? Or even Wii? Did you abandon your PS2's when the Xbox came out with much superior graphics? No. Then don't expect anyone else will.

On Topic - I see it this way. Wii will become a household device. It will be everywhere. Nintendo will never fully meet market demand ww and won't even want to think about adding another console when they can't meet demand with their first yet. They will not be first.

I think MS & Sony will pretty much split the gamer market, although Wii will have both gamers and 'non-gamers', 90% of gamers will end up with 2 systems, Wii +. This will result in both X360 and PS3 being successes in their own right and both will become profitable. As they have both taken huge losses, and graphic capabilities won't be a big factor for the next gen, I think they'll be content to go beyond 5 years to make some money.

I think a new competitor will come in with >PS3 like graphics, Wii like easy controls, a mass market price, lots of cash, and target the expanded Wii audience. As Nintendo fails to fully meet demand, and PS3/360 aren't really catering to the 'expanded market' (let's face it, how many 'girl' or 'brain-age' like games are on Xbox or PS3? Vertually none) this will let the new competitor pick up the overflow of Wii demand and at the same time graphic whores. They will also be seen as 'the next big thing' and quickly start eating up marketshare.

Sony & MS will have no choice but to respond, and eventually Nintendo too.

Only possible competitor that can do all that is Apple or Intel, and the problem for both is neither is a gaming software company, that is Nintendo's strength that no other console maker has, Nintendo is a gaming software company first, they produce hardware around their games, not the other way, when Sony makes a system they need to take into account their other divisions, and use the Playstation to push movies and tech like blu-ray and cell, MS isn't a games software company they are primarily in OS and apps, and they designed the Xbox, not to take the console market but to stop a potential competitor, Sony, the Xbox always has been a defensive move, which is why they are willing to lose money on it and stick with it, the benefit to protecting their primary market is worth the losses of the gaming division.

Sorry Avinash - That really doesn't make any sense. You say no one can beat Nintendo because only Nintendo is a gaming software company 1st, while admitting that neither Sony nor MS are gaming software companies (heck MS doesn't even do hardware right) and yet BOTH beat Nintendo last generation. The arguement holds no water whatsoever. Both Sony and MS entered the market with close to nothing as far as installed fan base, IPs, inhouse development, etc. Sony succeeded extremely well nevertheless. It is possible for a 4th competitor to come in and do well, nor would it be a precident of any sort.

Nintendo lost last two gens because they abandoned their strength and tried to play the me too game, building a system just like their competitors, Nitendo does best when they go their own way, , look at the NES, the gameboy, DS and the Wii, all of them very different then their competitors at launch, all dominated, but the similar ones, SNES, N64 and GCN faced very stiff competition and two of them lost (Snes only won because Sega made some bad moves )

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

endurance said:
@avinash yeah i think they want to keep theyre ideas to them selves
@leo no one knows the future

Really? Apparently Avinash does...

Mummelmann said:
endurance said:

I don't know the future, I just know trends

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Nintendo will release a new console first. This won't be because Nintendo releases anything earlier than the others, but because Sony and Microsoft have already released about 4 SKUs each for this current console, and they're probably going to keep doing it to the point that it becomes uncertain when it stops being a new SKU and starts being a new console.

I've done thought exercises to figure out what Sony or Microsoft would need to be competitive with Nintendo again. so far I've just been drawing blanks. I can only see 2 ways for them to update in terms of motion sensing: 1) they resist because they don't want to admit Nintendo's success, and as a result they implement halfass motion sensing basically like what PS3 has, or 2) they admit to Nintendo's success and implement a control style that is pretty much exactly the same. Admittedly, they may decide to simply NOT implement motion sensing at all, but I just don't see that lasting over the next 5 years in which the Wii's controls will grow more defined and polished.

When I do the same exercise for Nintendo, it's much easier to see what should be done to repeat the success of the Wii in the new console. When Nintendo finally does release a new console, the WiiII, the controls will pretty much be exactly the same, but everything will have updated technology, faster processor, even heavier video memory, and probably a hard drive of reasonable size, or support for USB flash drives, etc.
The speaker in the Wiimote will be much higher quality. The camera in the Wiimote will be able to sense infrared, but will be of high enough quality to be used as a straight camera as well for PSeye style games, but combined with infared sensors as demonstrated in Johnny Chung Lee's videos. The Nunchuck will have rumble, and also a built in Microphone which will make voip easier, as well as kareoke games or incantation games, like what was originally envisioned for Harry Potter.
The Wiimote will still use bluetooth, which means that old Wiimotes can still be used to play regular Wii games on the WiiII, or possibly even new WiiII games, provided they don't . Both Wiimote and Nunchuck will have a second accelerometer to allow for calculating the spin access and allowing for complete 1 to 1 movement.
By the time the new console is released, it will likely be reasonable for Nintendo to include HD output, and like what the 360 can do now, it will be able to be hooked up to a laptop as a cheap way of playing on a highdef screen.

The real key to this is that the WiiII may or may not be backwards compatible with Gamecube games, but it absolutely will be compatible with all regular Wii games. Because of the type of library that Nintendo will be building over the next 5 years, this will be a massive list of titles that Nintendo will have right out of the starting gate. Even if Microsoft or Sony decide to implement motion controls, they won't be able to compete with the already developed list of Wii games which already have motion controls implemented. It'll basically be a repeat of how the PS2 rode in on the success of the PS1.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mummelmann said:
endurance said:

Then you do of course know that the term trend implies that it'll be relieved by another sometime? That's true with all things. I think predicting the market has gotten harder than before, and I think most agree on that at least.

i want to say nintendo,but why would they,wouldnt they want to ride the sucess of the wii for as long as possible...idk,little early to tell

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mummelmann said:
endurance said:

Then you do of course know that the term trend implies that it'll be relieved by another sometime? That's true with all things. I think predicting the market has gotten harder than before, and I think most agree on that at least.

Not really, the more things change the more they stay the same, people remain more or less the same, they still want fun, and Nintendo brings fun for everyone not just 13-35 year old males, at a mass market price, Sony and MS on the other hand have their niche and fight tooth and nail over that niche, which is why they are limited in their growth potential

I really cannot understand why people keep claiming Nintendo will be out first. Even if the doom sayers are right and by some miracle the Wii comes in last Nintendo will still not be the first to launch. They have never ever been the first out the gates. Infact, they are always the last of the major consoles to release every generation. They were the last to launch after the N64 got beat. They were the last to release after the GC got curb stomped. They will be the last to release after the Wii has run its course.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Expect the Wiistation720 in 2010. After Nintendo buys out both companies with their INSANE PROFITS FROM THE WII AND DS!!!!!!!!

End of '07 Sales:

Wii: 280 million
PS3: 3,450
Xbox360: 6,897

Wii fit will sell 4x the entire Playstation family game library combined by the end of its sales run.

The Wii will outsell every gaming system ever made combined by a ratio of 40:1.

SUPPPERRRR SAYA-JINNUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!