By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the three will be first out of the gate next gen?

I just find this little info a little interesting.. i m not sure how accurate it is..

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2303.html

According to PS3 Gaming, Sony filed on December 5 for the patent, and the details cover quite a large range of entertainment functionality. Included in the big list- "Computer hardware, set top boxes, remote controls, and computer software and peripherals, namely audio and video receivers and transmitters and computer software programs enabling receipt, download, playing, personalized and interactive viewing," etc. Now, a lot of that might not interest you, but please note the "playing" part. Games must be featured in some way, right? We know PlayStation Home and Sir Howard Stringer's "Network overhaul" are hitting next year, so perhaps a PlayStation 3.5 isn't entirely out of the question.

Around the Network

Sony is down. So i think microsoft will get a little complacent.

Sony said the goal of their next console is inovation. So I expect some camera/motion sensing control to come standard that's a step up from the Wii and Sixaxis... pretty much expect them to disrupt the wii by making a more advanced Wii with about an increase in graphics from the PS3 as high as the Wii's graphics were from the gamecube.

Then I expect Microsoft to pull out a graphical powerhouse machine next.

And Nintendo to release last as they attempt a new control system and do Ok, or release an updated wii with worse graphics than the PS4 and get beat.

The next-gen is going to get tricky.

The key will be handhelds. Tech has got to the point where handhelds can generate console-quality graphics (for a state of the art handheld anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS release a XBOX power handheld - that supports plugging into a TV device.

Talking pure consoles, makes sense for MS to be first (to be next). Unless 360 sales explode, and the PS3 ends up in distinct 3rd place (which I doubt).

I still wonder if Ninty have something up their sleeves. Maybe the DS II for release in 2009 - or maybe there is really no need for it. No idea! 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

i don't know, but i'm pretty sure that all 3 next consoles will offer motion-sensing controls (if not something more) and blu-ray disks along with High-Definition...

if what happens now keeps for a long time......lol......i think microsoft will make a bigger effort..... ;0

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Kasz216 said:
Sony is down. So i think microsoft will get a little complacent.

Sony said the goal of their next console is inovation. So I expect some camera/motion sensing control to come standard that's a step up from the Wii and Sixaxis... pretty much expect them to disrupt the wii by making a more advanced Wii with about an increase in graphics from the PS3 as high as the Wii's graphics were from the gamecube.

Then I expect Microsoft to pull out a graphical powerhouse machine next.

And Nintendo to release last as they attempt a new control system and do Ok, or release an updated wii with worse graphics than the PS4 and get beat.

Nu-uh, you're making the same mistake sony does, thinking its the hardware.  Its the software, only Nintendo could create a Wii sports/Wiifit/Wii play, the way they did, Sony would have tried to make it photorealistic and hardcore, Nintendo makes it fun for the family.

Sony can copy Nintendo's hardware, but unless they can alter the way they think about their software it won't change the name of the game, because  they key isn't who has the best graphics, but who can make something that everyone can access and find experiences for them

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Sullla said:

That sounds nice, but it doesn't work so well in practice. Sega tried this exact strategy in the 1990s, and it backfired on them. By making the lifespan of your console too short, you run the risk of burning consumers who invested in your product, only to find that support was being discontinued in favor of a newer, more powerful system. Besides, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Why cannibalize your own success if you're dominating the market by releasing an unproven new console?

On topic, either Microsoft or Sony will launch the first eighth generation console. They both run business models that require them to dominate the market in order to make a profit; neither can be content to sit in a distant second place behind the Wii. One or both will try to get a jump on the field by launching their new system ahead of schedule, hoping to strike it rich and duplicate the PS2 model. Nintendo will run a real risk of repeating the mistake they made in the 1990s: sitting on their laurels with a dominant console (NES/SNES) and letting the competition beat them to the punch with improved technology.

This is the best, most comprehensive and most justified assessment I have yet heard.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

MS will be out first, this time by two years. First, their hardware (compared to the PS3s) in a couple of years will be lacking. Once "teh tru p0wer of teh c3ll" is unleashed, all XBOX 360 games will look decidedly last-gen. And MS knows that's the only way they can have a lead. Sony and Ninty will come out at the same time since they did last time, and sony will support the PS3 for the full ten years, so a new console wont happen for another five to six years. But 360 will be three in Nov. They have to be thinking of a new console in 2009 maybe, but definetly in 2010. The same with PSP/DS. They are both old now (3) and if new ones aren't announced at this year's E3, I'd be incredibly surprised. Not shown, just announced, or a prototype shown. They definetly need new itinerations before 2009s end.

DMeisterJ said:
MS will be out first, this time by two years. First, their hardware (compared to the PS3s) in a couple of years will be lacking. Once "teh tru p0wer of teh c3ll" is unleashed, all XBOX 360 games will look decidedly last-gen. And MS knows that's the only way they can have a lead. Sony and Ninty will come out at the same time since they did last time, and sony will support the PS3 for the full ten years, so a new console wont happen for another five to six years. But 360 will be three in Nov. They have to be thinking of a new console in 2009 maybe, but definetly in 2010. The same with PSP/DS. They are both old now (3) and if new ones aren't announced at this year's E3, I'd be incredibly surprised. Not shown, just announced, or a prototype shown. They definetly need new itinerations before 2009s end.

PSP yes, DS no, don't expect the next DS to be shown for at least 2 years.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

^yeah ninty wont show it for another 2-3 years

Sony will keep their console probably the most . Now Nintendo could make a HD Wii , and start the 8th gen early , or if the 360 starts doing badly , than they will be the first to leave ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!